Thread: Help identifying a customised Webley Tracker

Help identifying a customised Webley Tracker

Inspired by GSMN1's thread on his beautiful bull-barrel Tracker, I'd love to know if anyone can identify the maker of this one.

I've owned it a few months, came across it in a shop in Derby while shopping for a new Sako. In general I don't care much for customised thumbhole springers, but I do like Trackers so I bought it anyway.

Some person has obviously spent a lot of money getting this made and was hoping that someone off here might recognise it??

It's .22, judging off the serial number mid-90's produced. It puts out a consistent 11.5 ft/lbs, which as any Tracker owner will appreciate that is HIGH! It's not at all harsh, lovely and smooth, no twang, so obviously they put effort into the internals too.

Anyway see what you think!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers
    Greg

I can't help with any details of who made the stock etc. But I can confirm it is a lovely looking piece of kit
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

It's either been well tuned or could have a gas spring power unit.
    If you let me know the serial number, I may be able to date it more accurately.
    I have no idea who could have made the stock, but Custom Stocks of Sheffield did have a template for the Tracker.
    I have a gas sprung Tracker that puts out similar power. It was one I lent to Phil Bulmer for one of his magazine articles some time ago, about the fitting of a gas spring to a Tracker, and I was quite surprised when I chrono'd the power on it's return. The gas spring was supplied by Theoben.

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought the shrouded barrel with brass insert could have been someones signature. I think it was probably done by the same person because the shrouded barrel won't fit in a standard stock, and that custom stock has been inletted for a wider barrel.

The serial number is 45379, possibly late 90's? Anyway thanks for checking.

It's definitely got a spring, you can see it through the cocking slot. Not one of those awful square-section ones either!

Cheers
    Greg

Very very nice my friend. Enjoy. If there is no discernible twang, it shoots smooth and accurate and looks like that then you’re a lucky chap
    https://www.walnut.black

It is making me want a shroud on my Carmargue!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I thought the shrouded barrel with brass insert could have been someones signature. I think it was probably done by the same person because the shrouded barrel won't fit in a standard stock, and that custom stock has been inletted for a wider barrel.

It's definitely got a spring, you can see it through the cocking slot. Not one of those awful square-section ones either!

Cheers
    Greg
    My Tracker serial number records stop at 41645 which was produced on 24/02/1995, so you are correct in your 'late 90's assumption.
    If I wasn't disposing of my collection, I'd be tempted to have my remaining Tiger Striped Tracker attended to by Shaun.

It looks great!
    Isnt there a code inside the stock? Most stockmakers leave some kinda logo somewhere.
    ATB,
    yana

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Is that a cut and crowned Osprey barrel?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Sorry I can't help with your question Greg (apart from I'd say the stock is from Custom Stocks as it looks very much like their design) but how anyone could not see that in a gun shops gun rack and not want to buy it, thing of beauty that.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    My Tracker serial number records stop at 41645 which was produced on 24/02/1995, so you are correct in your 'late 90's assumption.
    If I wasn't disposing of my collection, I'd be tempted to have my remaining Tiger Striped Tracker attended to by Shaun.
    Thanks for that. Are you keeping the remaining Tiger Striped Tracker?

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    It looks great!
    Isnt there a code inside the stock? Most stockmakers leave some kinda logo somewhere.
    Thanks! I've just taken the stock off for the very first time and no, there's nothing on the inside

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Is that a cut and crowned Osprey barrel?
    No it's the original barrel with a custom made shroud over it. It forms an integral silencer in the last 6" or so of barrel.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post

Cheers
    Greg
    Venom would finish their mods with a brass insert, not sure about shrouded barrels though.

Even Webley's figures for the Tracker wouldn't put this rifle at full power, so what you have is a well tuned, bull barrelled or should that be, shrouded barrel tracker with a custom stock, who made it is another question though ?

There was a Bull barrelled Tracker featured in a Airgun World mag back in the 90's, this wasn't the one though as I think that was .25 cal.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Sorry I can't help with your question Greg (apart from I'd say the stock is from Custom Stocks as it looks very much like their design) but how anyone could not see that in a gun shops gun rack and not want to buy it, thing of beauty that.

Pete
    Hi Pete, thanks for the reply, you must've posted this wile I was replying to the last one! Yes it certainly does look striking. As mentioned, these "style" of rifles aren't really my cup of tea, it was the fact that someone had bothered doing it to a Tracker that made it interesting. I've never seen a Tracker customised to this level before and it must have been someones pride and joy at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Venom would finish their mods with a brass insert, not sure about shrouded barrels though.

Even Webley's figures for the Tracker wouldn't put this rifle at full power, so what you have is a well tuned, bull barrelled or should that be, shrouded barrel tracker with a custom stock, who made it is another question though ?

There was a Bull barrelled Tracker featured in a Airgun World mag back in the 90's, this wasn't the one though as I think that was .25 cal.
    Yes I own several Trackers and 10 ft/lb is about where I find their limit is, though I've never really tried to "tune" one.

Cheers
    Greg

Lovely looking rifle you have there. Don't know how I missed it. Enjoy!

Webley Tracker

Venom shroud and a early Gray Cane Stock. Interesting combo and very nice I must say. I have a friend who's tracker is running at 11.4 in .22 and it's standard so must be a goodun!. Mach 1.5