Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnification for General Usage.

4-6x man myself. I've done hft on 5x too.

Don't feel the need for anymore. I wish there were a few more fixed power options out there. A Hawke Vantage/Airmax/Panorama 6x42AO would probably be about perfect.

Most often, a 2.5x20 and a 1.5-5x32 set to 3x. I also use a 1.5x20 and a 4x32. The biggest scope that I've ever owned was a 6x45.

Just bought and fitted a Nikko Sterling 4x40 AO half mildot complete with mounts from the site sponser; very happy with it. I have had (and sold) larger objectives but want to keep the weight down. Did not want to drop to 32mm due to slightly smaller exit pupil. Do not need higher mag or zoom (which also reduces exit pupil). The 4 x 40 is ideal for me; the AO is a real bonus.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog5 View Post
    Not wanting to upset you Mr Angry, but probably not best practice, you are probably fine doing this, but others might be doing it with loaded and cocked rifles, no offence intended. Rog
    That's perfectly alright, because you're correct it's not best practice,
    however due to the lay of my land there are points from which I can scan a complete field & have a safe back stop for the entire process, on the flip side some fields can only be shot from one direction.

I use Viper Connects 3-12X32 on both of my go to rifles. Usually set around 4x. Use higher mags to check out paper targets sometimes but prefer low mag clarity. Had a good few 2-7x32 Hawks in the past, got on with them very well. Weight and clarity are top of my list when considering scopes.

Kat

OK i will buck the trend.
    I use x3 or x4 in my garden.
    But as high as my scooes go for hft.
    I started off on 8 then up to 10 after a few months and now i stick to 12 as i don't find any real disadvantage from using 12 over 10 everything is blurred from 13 yards down you just need to know your mill dots.
    But on 12 my 40, 45 and beyond yard shots are better.
    I use scope maximisers on most of my hft guns and have spent ages changing scope heights and adjustable butt stocks so i don't think parallax is too much of a problem for me.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

6 mag for me on all my rifles, mostly fixed too..

All my hunting, HFT and plinking is done on 6mag

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

For plinking, I find I need 11 or 12X to have half a chance of seeing my pellet strikes on faceplates etc.

Not that I ever miss and hit the plate, obviously.

Also 11 or 12X is where my aimpoints generally work out at 5 yard intervals.

32x for most of my shooting(FT). Does seem odd that my 32x scopes seem to shake a lot more than an 8x.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    My eyes have degraded slightly, but it really down to range... 20 yards 4x, 30 yards 6x, 40 yards 8x, any more 10x, but no more.

My fave HFT scope was the bushnell elite 3200 10x40 fixed, re-PA'd to ~ 32 yards. Hunting a 3-9 is hard to beat for a combination of long range rested sniping (40 yard bunnies @ 9x), or tracking squizzers through the banches (15-20 yards @ 3x), and generally mooching around (6x). Obviously you need a scope where the POI doesn't move with the mag ! But in non hunting situations, I prefer fixed mag, fixed parallax.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have Nikko Panamax 3-9x50 and 4-16x50 and both stay at 6 mag for all ranges. The only time I use the zoom is to check backstop etc.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    What magnification do you use for "general" Sub 12ft lb air rifle shooting say at 30m assuming you're using a scope that is ?
    Over the years, at that general distance I've tended to use anything between 10 and 15 mag but these days I find that I'm "dropping the mag" to around 6 to 9 which is odd really as my eyesight isn't getting any better.
    One reason maybe that in order to reduce weight on a few of my heavier guns (77, 80, 97,TX's) I've swapped the Pro Airs and Legends etc. for smaller, lighter scopes with less but adequate magnification ?
    Is anyone else doing the same ?

8X~12X. The upper premissible limit for HFT is also 12X but most people shoot 8X~10X. Good to 40 yards or so.

A.G

My guns are all used on 7x, whether they zoom to 9 or 12, I rarely change the setting. Even for long range 80+yds club targets. In fact I'd be happy with fixed mag scopes but don't currently have any. Used to own a Hawke 6x40 MAP which I should've kept.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    6x42 is my favourite scope spec.
    Les
    Yes Les, a great scope spec for air rifles, although I ain't got any! See you at the Bash.

I use a 3-12x32 viper connect and leave it on 10x when hunting because it still has a very large field of view at that mag .Best scope out there for air rifle hunting in my opinion . But some people are unlucky and can’t get used to the near zero eye relief .