Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Theoben Rapid barrel fit on BSA Ultra?

Will Theoben Rapid barrel fit on BSA Ultra?

Hi, a friend of mine is selling his Theoben Rapid .20 and .25 barrels, both about 24 inches long. I'm doing some caliber swaps/barrel length testing with my BSA Ultra's, and wondered if these Theoben barrels will fit (I believe they are LW barrels).
    Many thanks, Louis

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Hi, a friend of mine is selling his Theoben Rapid .20 and .25 barrels, both about 24 inches long. I'm doing some caliber swaps/barrel length testing with my BSA Ultra's, and wondered if these Theoben barrels will fit (I believe they are LW barrels).
    Many thanks, Louis
    Not just the barrel, what about the probes?

You would have to cut and machine them to fit. Be aware that longer barrels will likely result in FAC level power outputs.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Rapid parts command good prices. Given that they will need to be machined to fit you are probably better off buying plain barrel blanks to start with.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Rapid parts command good prices. Given that they will need to be machined to fit you are probably better off buying plain barrel blanks to start with.
    yup... much more cost effective.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yup... much more cost effective.
    Thanks for the advice gents.
    I bought them in the Netherlands for about 88 pounds each. I think a bit cheaper than a LW blank but I'm not sure. I haven't got them yet so I can't compare them with my BSA barrels, but I've understood that the diameter at the breech end will have to be reduced from 15.8 mm to 15.5 mm. I hope that the hole which connects to the transfer port is in the right spot, and that the pellet accepting part of the barrel is right too. Will also have to make a .20 probe and pellet guide.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Thanks for the advice gents.
    I bought them in the Netherlands for about 88 pounds each. I think a bit cheaper than a LW blank but I'm not sure. I haven't got them yet so I can't compare them with my BSA barrels, but I've understood that the diameter at the breech end will have to be reduced from 15.8 mm to 15.5 mm. I hope that the hole which connects to the transfer port is in the right spot, and that the pellet accepting part of the barrel is right too. Will also have to make a .20 probe and pellet guide.
    regardless of what you bought them for, you should be able to sell them for more that the cost of the LW blank - I'd guess around £100+ each. LW blanks were about £80 last time I ordered.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Apart from the diameter being reduced. The rapid barrels will need the transfer port worked quite a bit, as the BSA transfer port is a totally different design that uses brass bobbin and seals. So the barrel will need a recess for this.
    It maybe be easier to cut off the existing transfer port and start fresh again. Also upto about half an inch of the rifling of the barrel will need to be reamed out to accept the BSA probe and seal.

Can tomorrow take a picture of BSA and Rapid together to give you an idea of what will need to be done.

In fairness 24" rapid barrels fetch strong money, you could easily sell just one rapid barrel and still have change from purchasing a barrel blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    It maybe be easier to cut off the existing transfer port and start fresh again. Also upto about half an inch of the rifling of the barrel will need to be reamed out to accept the BSA probe and seal.
    Thud, thud, thud. That is the sound of amassed rapid fans fainting at the thought of those barrels being abused
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Thud, thud, thud. That is the sound of amassed rapid fans fainting at the thought of those barrels being abused
    I did also say sell the barrel and buy a blank.

Many thanks, Louis
    Over here those two barrels are probably worth more than the Ultra is

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    I did also say sell the barrel and buy a blank.

Where from? Not so easy to get now. Chambers do Walther blanks but these are almost £120 plus post to an RFD who would charge a handling fee.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Where from? Not so easy to get now. Chambers do Walther blanks but these are almost £120 plus post to an RFD who would charge a handling fee.
    Can't you buy directly from LW ?

Edit: Just looked on their site, there's quite a few UK dealers listed
    Last edited by MartynB; 18-03-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post

A specific made up barrel for an air rifle yes, but not blanks. Have had blanks before from chambers that were delivered straight to my door and no RFD needed.

You can get Weihrauch blanks from Silco direct to your door for around half the price of LW blanks.
    http://silco.co.uk/categories/WEIHRAUCH-BARREL-BLANKS/

Thanks for the replies gents and sorry for my late reply. I have done some more research. The .25 barrel turned out to be a LW blank; outer diameter is 16mm, and BSA barrels are 15.4. A machinist will modify it to fit my BSA pcps, using a .25 Ultra barrel as an example. The .20 barrel is a Rapid barrel. I will sell it on, as I think it would be a shame to modify it. As you point out. And making a .20 probe and probe guide for my BSA's is possible, but I've spent enough this month on airguns and related items haha. So that's it