Thread: Pendulum hammer?

Pendulum hammer?

Hi I have tried a search to find what a pendulum hammer is, google didn't like it seems to be a bit fussy about guns sometimes. Did a search here and it brought up a pistol for sale.
    So could someone please explain what it is please.
    Thank you.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Bing produces this

https://www.bing.com/search?q=pendul...6C164587CDB739

Seems to be primarily a device for testing materials. I guess in a PCP this could be used to deliver a precise blow and rebound to a valve, but it would add significantly to the lock time unless spring assisted, and would not really be a pendulum if there were a spring so I'm not sure this helps.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Hi thank you, it was about a hammer on a pcp pistol. I was just having a look at the SMK 700W offering and found one at a reasonable price. Not that I wanted one you understand, its arriving next week.
    Oh boy Ive done it again, should be locked up, last time it was a Scholfield.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Think a pendulum hammer just refers to a standard hammer design as used on most firearms, where you pull it back and it is released to swing forward in an arc to hit the firing pin. This system is not used on a lot of PCP air guns as they have a tubular hammer which runs straight forward to hit the valve when the trigger is pulled. There are a few PCP pistols with an external pendulum hammer such as my Rohm Twinmaster Top.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Which is what the 700W and Artemis pistols have too.
    Nice to use.

Thank you very much gentlemen that is just what I wanted. I was expecting something much more complicated. Simple when you know.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Not looking for arguments here but it seems to me that the term pendulum hammer is not well chosen. The pivoting process described by others is broadly the same mechanism in all guns which have a hammer. Those which work by a straight linear movement are called a striker aren't they?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Agreed .
    A pendulum swings both ways.
    No Bi jokes please.