Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HFT optic advice needed

HFT optic advice needed

Hi all, I知 new to HFT and I知 looking for a scope, any recommendations please? The club tell me I知 limited to 12x power for comp days. They also mentioned a scope that has a broad focus (sorry can稚 remember the terminology)
    Cheers

some info here: https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...-field-target/

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/page.asp?pg=1000

and here: http:///hft-scopes-explained/

Once you have had a look what do you think will be your favourite against your budget?

Tony

The best thing you could do is go along to the in and ask to have a look through as many scopes as you can. There will be a lot of reticle options and some glass will suit your eyes better than others.

You don't need to spend a lot. I use a hawke vantage max 4-12x40 and not done too bad with it. Was only 」120 for the non ir version and has half mil dot

Stick with 40mm objective or lower for HFT. More than that and you might get parallax issues

Stick with it

Good advice above, I would add take your time deciding, the scope in my opinion is more important than the rifle and there is nothing you can do to change the scope...most rifles can be fettled to be very accurate out to 45 yards and made to fit the shooter - hard to fettle a scope

It has taken me over a year to get beded in with my current scope, I can now range very effectively with it, its all too easy to keep chopping and changing scopes - don't do it, learn the one you choose.

On actual specification these are my preferences but many in HFT would say the exact opposite.... - the best quality lenses you can afford, as said small objective (gives better depth of field), fine reticle (but not too fine such that its lost on dark targets), plenty of meaningful aim points for elevation and windage, low profile covered or lockable turrets, compact, lightweight, robust.....

You will find as many who like larger objectives, thick plain reticles....scopes are very personal.

On the 12x, I have heard this quoted as a maximum before but never seen it written in rules......urban myth maybe.... its not in UKAHFT, I can see you are in Southampton, just had a quick look at Central Southern rules cannot see their either?

Most shoot at 10x magnification, have seen some shoot 8x or 9x, rarely see higher.....if you want to bracket for range 10x is true Mil on most Mil type reticles.

You can pay from 」100 to 」2000....your choice

As is often repeated in scope discussions, look through as many as you can, when looking take your time, look near and far evaluate the picture you are seeing, imagine shooting bits within the sight picture with the reticle...and as I have said but will repeat do not chop and change, only change after you have really tried to learn what you have but its not working for you.
    ..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by cmars2018 View Post
    Hi all, I知 new to HFT and I知 looking for a scope, any recommendations please? The club tell me I知 limited to 12x power for comp days. They also mentioned a scope that has a broad focus (sorry can稚 remember the terminology)
    Cheers
    Which club?

I have an HW97K that I would like to have a go at some outdoor shooting with (as a change from a lifetime of indoor paper-punching) and I am guessing that HFT would be a good place to start if I wanted to shoot with a springer?

I know nothing about telescopic sights, and some good advice could well save me some pain by helping me to avoid buying something that would not be the best choice for use on a springer for HFT use.

When I bought the .177 HW97K (probably three years ago!) I was told that this type of rifle (HW97K) had done particularly well in some of the springer events and that it would be good choice for HFT use (in the springer class). If this is the case then a good sight could make it an ideal rifle to compete with.

At the moment I have a relatively inexpensive Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9 x 40 AO sight fitted to it (it came with the rifle) and I expect it would work OK but some advice on a better quality sight choice would be welcomed - especially with regards to the suitability of the build construction for regular use on a springer.

The recoil of the HW97 is my main concern as I have heard tales about some of the less expensive (or weaker build strength designs) not being able to take the pounding over a long period of time - and I appreciate that a good sight could be just as important important as the rifle.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

cmars2018,

I liked fixed magnification optics.

I have used the below scopes for HFT with complete satisfaction :

1) Tasco/SWFA 10x42M

2) Hawke 10x42 Sidewinder 30

They both have side parallax correction.

I have had the 10x42M since 1996, and it is still going strong - it has had over 10,000 rounds of .308 Winchester under it's belt, and it has never missed a beat

For me, I have found the Hawke to be an excellent performer - I believe this scope has now been discontinued

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Thanks Russ.

I have noticed how the Hawke brand keeps coming up with good reviews from satisfied owners.

Dan has done well with the Hawke Vantage Max 4-12 x 40 on his springer over a decent enough time period to know that it is a good choice, and the 」120 new price would be tempting too, but this sight is currently "unavailable" everywhere that I have looked - so far!

There is a very good offer on the same sight but in the bigger 4-12 x 50 size, but I am guessing it would not be as well suited for HFT as the smaller 4-12 x 40 but probably shares the same excellent "value for money" build quality.

Shame about the 50mm size - it is a good looking scope and a very good price.
    Last edited by zooma; 18-03-2018 at 07:13 PM.

I've just had a look and can't find any either. Wonder why there's none around
    Like you said I've used the Hawke scopes for a while. They've been perfect on any springer I've tried them on, don't seem affected by the recoil at all. I think the most adjustment I've made to my zero this year was 2 clicks.

I would avoid 50mm objective for HFT, too many parallax issues at the very close and very far targets.

If I needed another scope right now, I would probably look at the Airmax 4-12x40 AO AMX

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...mx-riflescope/

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I've just had a look and can't find any either. Wonder why there's none around
    Like you said I've used the Hawke scopes for a while. They've been perfect on any springer I've tried them on, don't seem affected by the recoil at all. I think the most adjustment I've made to my zero this year was 2 clicks.

I would avoid 50mm objective for HFT, too many parallax issues at the very close and very far targets.

If I needed another scope right now, I would probably look at the Airmax 4-12x40 AO AMX

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pr...mx-riflescope/
    That looks good but is the build quality as good as your favourite Hawke, and what would be the advantage of the more expensive Hawke Sidewinder I see on your rifle (Facebook) ?

At the other end of the scale, this one looked good for 」75 but it only goes up to x9 magnification:-

Hawke Vantage MAX Air Rifle Scope 3-9x40 AO 1/2 MilDot Reticle Riflescope 14181

or this one at 」79:-

Hawke Vantage Air Rifle Scope 4-12x40 AO MILDOT RETICLE Riflescope 14141
    Last edited by zooma; 18-03-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That looks good but is the build quality as good as your favourite Hawke, and what would be the advantage of the more expensive Hawke Sidewinder I see on your rifle (Facebook) ?

At the other end of the scale, this one looked good for 」75 but it only goes up to x9 magnification:-

Hawke Vantage MAX Air Rifle Scope 3-9x40 AO 1/2 MilDot Reticle Riflescope 14181

or this one at 」79:-

Hawke Vantage Air Rifle Scope 4-12x40 AO MILDOT RETICLE Riflescope 14141
    I think the Airmax is almost identical to the Vantage Max, except it has a different reticle.
    The 3-9x40 for 」75 seems very good value. You would be limited to 9x mag, but most of us only use 10x mag anyway, so it wouldn't actually be much different.
    The Vantage Mildot (NOT the Vantage Max) has a much thicker reticle, and doesn't have the half mil dots. I personally prefer the thinner reticle on the 'Max' version. It would be worth getting to your local club and having a look through a couple to see what type of reticle you prefer

A more expensive version (such as the Sidewinder) benefits from better glass and more coatings on the lenses. This should give a clearer image in a wider range of conditions. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use my Sidewinder much and I don't want to change scopes at the moment. Maybe in a few months I will put the Sidewinder on and see how it compares to my current scope

Thanks for the information Dan.
    Last edited by zooma; 19-03-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Hoy

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Which club?
    You dont shoot HFT.

..."My son," said the Norman Baron...."The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right"...

Quote Originally Posted by Lol Moore View Post
    You dont shoot HFT.

But I do chair the regional association which does, hence it's useful to know which club is giving out that advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    But I do chair the regional association which does, hence it's useful to know which club is giving out that advice.
    Maybe a simple mix up with SFT rules