I have an HW97K that I would like to have a go at some outdoor shooting with (as a change from a lifetime of indoor paper-punching) and I am guessing that HFT would be a good place to start if I wanted to shoot with a springer?

I know nothing about telescopic sights, and some good advice could well save me some pain by helping me to avoid buying something that would not be the best choice for use on a springer for HFT use.

When I bought the .177 HW97K (probably three years ago!) I was told that this type of rifle (HW97K) had done particularly well in some of the springer events and that it would be good choice for HFT use (in the springer class). If this is the case then a good sight could make it an ideal rifle to compete with.

At the moment I have a relatively inexpensive Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9 x 40 AO sight fitted to it (it came with the rifle) and I expect it would work OK but some advice on a better quality sight choice would be welcomed - especially with regards to the suitability of the build construction for regular use on a springer.

The recoil of the HW97 is my main concern as I have heard tales about some of the less expensive (or weaker build strength designs) not being able to take the pounding over a long period of time - and I appreciate that a good sight could be just as important important as the rifle.