Thread: Mystery Dioptre Sight

Mystery Dioptre Sight

Whilst sorting through some spares, I found this diopter sight and haven't a clue as to what it fits. It appears to fit an approximate 12.5mm rail.
    There are no makers marks on it that I can see, but the large thumbwheel at the front may give a clue to someone.

Im also interested in the replies as I have a couple of sets which Ive marked 'HW'
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

HW is the first name that comes to mind with that one.

That looks just like the diopter's that I have fitted to several of my old HW target rifles and from the measurement you quote it is probably one of the older size to fit the wider 13mm scope grooves .?

The large thumb screw engages into the prominent recess positions on the HW rifles to make a very secure recoil stop.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Defo a Weihrauch, as said, and for older 13mm rails by the looks of it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for the replies, so Weihrauch it is and definitely to fit the 13mm rails. I thought the front thumbwheel screw might point to it's origin, and would locate into a hole somewhere on the action.
    Second question, what's it worth ?

Here's a picture I found of the sight fitted to a HW35, but mine has the rubber eyepiece as well:

Last edited by Troubledshooter; 17-03-2018 at 10:00 PM.

For what it’s worth, here in the US a good HW diopter is worth around $100.

Whatever the going rate is there, that example is worth a premium due to the excellent condition and rarity. Since the late 1970’s HW’s grooves have been spaced at 11 mm, so the 13 mm ones are sought after by collectors.

It's worth £2 can I send you a checque

On a more serious note I think someone on here sold some HW peep sights on here recently. So have a search and see, I think it might have been here in the collectors corner or on the target section. Circa £75 iirc?
    Rich.
    PS the offer of £2 still stands
    PPS apologies for my terrible sense of humour!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    It's worth £2 can I send you a checque

On a more serious note I think someone on here sold some HW peep sights on here recently. So have a search and see, I think it might have been here in the collectors corner or on the target section. Circa £75 iirc?
    Rich.
    PS the offer of £2 still stands
    PPS apologies for my terrible sense of humour!
    Your offer of £2 is respectfully declined.

There is a 13mm one advertised currently in the collectors section for £75 including delivery - it has not sold.

The newer 11mm types usually sell better as there are a lot more HW rifles to fit them onto and so the demand is greater although both sizes would appear to be equally hard to find when you need one!

I recently advertised a pair of the 11mm types and the "asking price" was £100 - and they sold OK.
    Last edited by zooma; 18-03-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.