Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sling studs, yay or nay?

Sling studs, yay or nay?

Having just spent the most money I have ever layed out for an air rifle I am in a quandary as to whether or not I should have the stock drilled for sling studs, it sounds daft I know as the shop will no doubt do a professional job but I can't help thinking what a shame it is to put holes in a nice walnut stock! But having a sling fitted will be a blessing when traipsing about in the field, also with having studs fitted I will be able to use a bipod at some point so there's two pros to the one con of my paranoia about holes in the stock. What do you chaps think, should I stop being daft and just have it done? How many of you use slings on your rifles? Your opinions are much appreciated.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    If you are using the air rifle to hunt then yes, you will need a sling and it wont matter how light/heavy the combo is because after an hour or more it will feel like a ton weight in your arms !

If not, then don't bother.
    “An airgun or two”………

If you think a sling might be useful or a bipod, then sling studs are obviously a good thing to have done by the shop, unless you're happy to do the job yourself later on, once your needs become clear. It's an easy job, shouldn't go wrong with basic tool skills and sound practice. I fit slings to all my guns, even though I don't hunt anymore. Helps lugging one or more around large gardens or up and down stairs. Sometimes I take them off for target use on a bench if they get in the way for prolonged use.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I’ve fitted sling studs to a few brand new guns i.e, the ones I use for hunting because walking around all day with them without a sling is a real pain. My range plinkers are studless. If I do use my hunting rifles for plinking or zeroing at the range, I just pop the sling off and the studs don’t really get in the way.
    I do understand however, that some people prefer rifles to be ‘as manufactured’ when buying secondhand and do not like studs fitted so, if your thinking of selling at some stage it’s worth bearing in mind.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

could get one of these and depending on the stock use a bipod/sling bolt at the front .

https://custom-sling-plates.myshopif...aystate-silver. he can make them for most stocks . if he does not list then contact him and send your butt pad and he will make one for you

http://www.thecountryman.com/hw100-sling-swivel-stud

A gun is a tool to do a job, a sling makes using that tool easier & more efficient.

Studs are a huge benefit on a hunting gun. However, personally I won't fit a bipod to any of my guns, only slings, reason being, every gun I have seen that has had a bipod fitted, the stock is always marked underneath.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Studs are a huge benefit on a hunting gun. However, personally I won't fit a bipod to any of my guns, only slings, reason being, every gun I have seen that has had a bipod fitted, the stock is always marked underneath.
    A slice of soft leather or neoprene will put an end to any marks off a bipod. Or you could go for a picatinny mounted or spigot mounted one providing there is enough of a forend to insert the spigot

I have sling studs on all my rifles and the slings only come off to go in the safe. Even on the range I find the sling a useful tool to tie you into the rifle, I hook it round my supporting elbow and use the tension as an extra guide to feel the consist of hold I have on the gun.

Atb. Hal

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    So what Used item shows signs of being used shock horror, it's not a priceless work of art...it's a gun, it's meant to be taken out & used.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    So what Used item shows signs of being used shock horror, it's not a priceless work of art...it's a gun, it's meant to be taken out & used.
    My preference and my opinion.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

sling yes

HI, A sling is a must for a hunting point ,atb bob.

I personally don't like sling studs or slings. I don't think they are a necessity either. I've done plenty of hunting and never had them.
    It's a personal choice though, so it's up to the individual.
    Last edited by jeff0100; 18-03-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    A fair point
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by fife View Post
    HI, A sling is a must for a hunting point ,atb bob.
    I like the lockable QD swivels like the later Uncle Mike's, very quick to attach / remove sling as required
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

When I order a new rifle my RFD always gets the studs fitted at the factory doing this saves me having to worry about damaging the stock.