Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sling studs, yay or nay?

Slings

You don't have to drill your stock a webbing type sling such as the Viper will fit most guns. As said earlier even light guns need a sling particularly if you carry shooting sticks etc.
    mk2 rapid.22

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    So what Used item shows signs of being used shock horror, it's not a priceless work of art...it's a gun, it's meant to be taken out & used.
    I can understand both points, as it will be a working gun there will undoubtedly be a few marks picked up but it will also be my pride and joy being the single most expensive rifle I have ever bought so minimising the amount of marks will be on my mind so I will be extra careful in its use e.g using some kind of padding between the stock and the bipod to minimise damage/marking to the wraparound checkering of the forend.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgemumper View Post
    I can understand both points, as it will be a working gun there will undoubtedly be a few marks picked up but it will also be my pride and joy being the single most expensive rifle I have ever bought so minimising the amount of marks will be on my mind so I will be extra careful in its use e.g using some kind of padding between the stock and the bipod to minimise damage/marking to the wraparound checkering of the forend.
    Inner tube from a wheelbarrow/trailer type wheel is good, pushbike tubes are a bit too thin unless doubled up.

my £30 bipod has a rubber strip on the face that meets the stock . you could change it for thick neoprene rubber.. We used to use it for sealing coolant holes in cylinder heads when pressure testing .https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/ord...c-samples.html ask for a sample of the size you need.

Or you could look and see if you can find a used stock and swap it then when you go to sell it you have a new stock to go on it.

I know people that buy used or cheap plastics for their enduro motor bikes and keep the fully stickered new ones for when they sell it . the decal sets can cost more than the plastics in some cases .
    Last edited by bighit; 18-03-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Range use no. Hunting yes. Trying having a slash in the field while carrying a rifle with no sling.....

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Range use no. Hunting yes. Trying having a slash in the field while carrying a rifle with no sling.....
    prop it up against a tree or fence

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    And this is the best reason by far, also carrying what you've shot, and dispatching if needed, I knew a chap who was known to dispatch rabbits by picking them up by the back legs and bashing their heads against a tree, personally I'm quite happy to put the gun on the ground, but to me it's just a tool of the trade, that doesn't mean I abuse them, they always get a wipe down afterwards. Rog

Having just spent the most money I have ever layed out for an air rifle I am in a quandary as to whether or not I should have the stock drilled for sling studs, it sounds daft I know as the shop will no doubt do a professional job but I can't help thinking what a shame it is to put holes in a nice walnut stock! But having a sling fitted will be a blessing when traipsing about in the field, also with having studs fitted I will be able to use a bipod at some point so there's two pros to the one con of my paranoia about holes in the stock. What do you chaps think, should I stop being daft and just have it done? How many of you use slings on your rifles? Your opinions are much appreciated.
    The choice is yours.
    I fit sling studs to all my field rifles. Anyone who can untie a farm gate, empty the urine from a rabbit and get it in a rucksack one handed gets my admiration. No way I'll be laying a rifle on the floor or standing it up against a tree.
    I fit most of them myself, but just ordered a CS500 stock for one of my rifles and asked CS to drill for the rear stud. Saves me the bother of drilling.
    B.A.S.C. member

It’s my only hunting rifle now so I’ve just drilled my hunting 5 practised on a spare piece of timber and taped the drill bits to the desired depth .. no probs ,glad it’s out the way now though .

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    It’s my only hunting rifle now so I’ve just drilled my hunting 5 practised on a spare piece of timber and taped the drill bits to the desired depth .. no probs ,glad it’s out the way now though .
    Brave man !
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

On my air ranger it has a lovely stock and I'm not fussy on putting a stud on the front of the stock as with a mk2 rapid there ain't a big chunk of wood to fit it to plus the gun would have to be carried the opposite way I prefer to carry it. I picked up a cheeta sling which gives you choices how you want to carry the gun, You can also carry the gun and shoot without removing the strap from around your neck, Its also great when loading having the gun at belly height,

For buddy bottle rifles, Dr Bob has this thingy which works well with a sling.

http://www.drbobsgunbits.com/page3.html - a buddy bottle bipod mount

I use tactical two point slings on all my rifles, I sandwich the straps between the stock and action at one end and between the stock and butt pad at the other.

As long as they're fitted well, I don't mind sling studs in a stock.

All it takes is a little care and attention.

That said, I bloody hate sling studs in the bottom of the grip or the side of the stock.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    That said, I bloody hate sling studs in the bottom of the grip or the side of the stock
    Very true, or right at the end of the butt
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177