Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: let's talk about accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by brian747 View Post
    Hi Terry ,whats the betting he declines your kind offer, for me 5p size groupings
    at 25/30 yds are perfectly good for ensuring humane shooting of pests
    which is what i want to achieve, hft marksman i will never be as long as
    i can accurately shoot dead my prey ethicaly & humanely that will do for me!!!!
    atb brian
    Brian. You might not have realised, but 5p groups at 25/30 yards will get you a long way in HFT. There are some 15mm kills, but most are 20 or 25mm, up to 45mm. Much bigger than a 5p (18mm).
    The main skills (in my opinion) are range finding, judging the wind, and being able to shoot from different positions. All transferable from hunting. You might surprise yourself with how well you do if you gave HFT a go

regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Thanks for the invitation, Mr G, although I don't quite understand your statement. Are you saying you can achieve hunting standard accuracy at extreme range, under hunting conditions? Do help a confused fellow.
    Of a fashion I have many places i shoot from a static position on my permission for shots up to 50 yards I would be prone of a bipod in perfect conditions . Several factors come into shooting at this range apart from weather i have stuck with the same two hunting rifles for over 5 years so i know them inside out . My rifle for long range is a tuned Air ranger with a bushnell elite 4.5/30x50 on adjustable mounts shooting AADiablos a set up that works perfectly , I dont shoot beyond 50 except for a bit of fun knocking 12 bore case over to about 65 yards
    I use a rangefinder and have all my mil dots mapped out on my flip up lense cover . I accredit the accuracy more to the equipment than to myself as if im shooting freehand i wont shoot past 35 yards , hope that is an informative explanation as i sip my Horlicks before bed

Makes me laugh when people think 6mm edge to edge group at 50 yards is accurate.

When shot off-hand from a sporting standing position, maybe that's acceptable, but from a sandbag?

Sheer incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Makes me laugh when people think 6mm edge to edge group at 50 yards is accurate.

When shot off-hand from a sporting standing position, maybe that's acceptable, but from a sandbag?

Sheer incompetence.
    what sub 12 are you shooting of a bag if a 6mm group at 50yards is inaccurate I ask because i want one !!!!!!

You can choose to accept this or not, AG, but I have never known this to be the case. I test most of the new guns and I've toured many factories many times, but I've never known there to be a batch of guns specifically assigned for testing. It sounds like it should happen, but in my experience, it doesn't. Just saying.
    I have never douted your statements sir but I have seen ' review ' guns in the hands of others that have been full of scratch to the stock meaning that the guns had been going around. For what its worth and I am not just saying this, I do take your reviews very seriously as it is obvious that a process of evaluation is being carried out and it shows in the text of the magazine but this is by no means a universal practice.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    what sub 12 are you shooting of a bag if a 6mm group at 50yards is inaccurate I ask because i want one !!!!!!
    Relum super tornado.

Relum super tornado.

I will grab my Gat and we can have a comp

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post

I will grab my Gat and we can have a comp
    If you're getting competitive I had better put a scope on it

If you're getting competitive I had better put a scope on it
    Well if you are going to cheat i will use pellets instead of darts

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Brian. You might not have realised, but 5p groups at 25/30 yards will get you a long way in HFT. There are some 15mm kills, but most are 20 or 25mm, up to 45mm. Much bigger than a 5p (18mm).
    The main skills (in my opinion) are range finding, judging the wind, and being able to shoot from different positions. All transferable from hunting. You might surprise yourself with how well you do if you gave HFT a go

regards
    Dan
    Hi Dan, if only i had the spare time , all my time is taken up with my x16 shoots
    which keep me very busy, so i am afraid HFT & FT is out for me .
    I give my shoots 100% of my time as they need regular visits.
    atb brian

Sheer incompetence.
    What would you know about shootin
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    What would you know about shootin
    Rather depends on whether that includes Worcestershire rabbits.

I guess time will tell, but I am genuinely always willing to learn from those who can do what I can't.

On a broader level, I've made similar invitations to those who claim to hunt at extreme ranges with sub-12 rifles. I've also had strong criticism, along the lines of, 'just because you can't do it, it doesn't mean I can't', when I've stated that my personal hunting range limit is 45 yards, and then ONLY under perfect conditions. For 'perfect', read not a breath of wind, rested rifle, range known to the inch and me on top form. In most of my hunting, 35 yards is the max, and even that will drop as the wind rises or becomes less predictable. To date, no one has accepted my invitation to show me how they reliably take rabbits, pigeons and corvids at 50, 60, 70 yards, and even beyond. The key term, here, is 'reliably'. I'm not talking about some irresponsible fluke you paced out, once. This is about repeatable accuracy, first time, under hunting conditions.

That offer stands and it's open to anyone, with rangefinders and any stance permitted. As stated, this is a genuine offer, with no 'side' or hidden agenda. If you can do it, I'd love to see how.

Regards.
    Terry, in my many years, I have come across all kinds of claims for first round accuracy with all kinds of guns including tank and artillery guns. Funny how, as soon as we put them under proper carefully controlled test conditions, there is always some excuse as to why it cannot be done on that day.
    As for group sizes the measured dispersion we achieve under controlled test conditions is always apparently bigger than can be seen regularly in the field. I have often wondered why we bother to try to control everything and only test under ideal conditions when apparently a bloke guessing in a gale can do better according to some.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby822 View Post
    I never expected my post would upset so many people. Please don't get upset when someone says they are better.

All my good shots were made either on a sandbag or a bidpod off a bench.

My point in the original post was, modern PCPs are far more precise and accurate than the shooters.
    With a good rest and in good condition (calm weather or indoor range, without any competition strss), they should be able to go through the same hole @35 yards.
    Of course the correct pellet has to be found to achieve that.

As to why I'm not doing competition is becuse 1. They dont' allow me to shoot off a sandbag on a bench. 2. I don't think shooting is a proper career (don't get me wrong, shooting is perfect hobby). How many years can you shoot in competitions? You probably will retire in the mid-thirties. What do you do after that? Getting upset like some other do here when someone says they can do better groups?

I love shooting as much as most of your guys out there but I still will laugh when someone says it's a good gun cos they can do 5p group at 30 yards.
    Yeah I nearly just delete my reply too because normally I would not bite lol.. I agree not only will Bobby's post rub new shooter up the wrong way but a lot of older ones too.

But What cracks me up is when people think they are an amazing shot, then tell you they are shooting with the of the top of the range pcp rifles rested, here's another tip to improve your! Shooting skills clamp the rifle down and tie string to the trigger, then your get pellet on pellet every shot a, awesome shooting skills..

Now please guys, this is not a knock on pcp rifle shooters who shoot rested, just the people that think they are better then anyone else when really, it's the gun that's better then them.

shoot a real gun and then when your groups open up dramatically tell me what's wrong with the gun or the shooting skills or who's shooting it, Yes I shoot RS I shoot all types of guns, RS for target shooting, Airguns and airsoft for more relaxed fun target and plinking, and a bit of clay shooting too, I don't shoot pcp rifles, Not because I think there's anything wrong with them for their uses, but I myself though find them a bit boring as I don't shoot HFT or hunt, but I would not criticise something for the sake of it who use or love them.

But to Say the normal and quiet respectable 5p grouping at 25-50 yards is not good accuracy, with a springer or pcp rifle, your talking out of your behind..

ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Potential accuracy and real world accuracy are two different animals. My 99s, my old Theoben rammer too, have the capability of cutting sub-1/4" c-t-c groups all day long. Under perfect conditions, with the gods looking down on me, so can I. Can I do it all day and every day? I wish - if I could, I'd be taking Mr D up on his offer and be buying a huge trophy cabinet.
    Are these rifles accurate? Very much so - but as ever, the organic component is the weakest link in the chain...