Thread: Recoil-less springer

Recoil-less springer

I heard of a springer that has two pistons, which run in opposite directions and thereby eliminate recoil. Cocking lever must be operated twice to cock both pistons. I think the gun is of USA origin, and is FAC power level, but I can't find a name for it. Has anybody come across one / got one? Or is such a gun just a nice dream I had?
    Rob

Probably one of the 'Whiscombe' range of rifles in USA/FAC power spec.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

There are a few twin piston recoiled springers. Whiscombe, park, Diana/original

They all have the pistons mechanically linked together (gears or chain) so you cock both pistons at the same time

The whiscombe guns were cocked more than once due to the design of the cocking linkage not allowing full stroke from one full motion of the lever. I believe some of the higher power ones had to be cocked 3 times for max muzzle energy

What about the new Sterling Arms recoiless gas-ram opposing piston rifle? Tony Belas shows it on one of the episodes of Hot Air, looks like a lovely thing - still in development though!

Sounds like a Whiscombe - they definitely exist .I have 2 , both under 11ftlb !

The Whiscombes are stunning rifles. Unframed Dave (another well known member on here) has a beautiful example which he kindly let me shoot at the last boinger bash. I'm sure he will no doubt notice this thread and share some more info

My mate Nurek is a good bloke to talk to about Whiscombes. He’ll be along when he sees the title of this thread. He owns some stunners.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Sounds like a Whiscombe, I had a JW60 which required two strokes to cock, the same as the JW50. The higher power ones do require three strokes.

Very nice guns, regret selling mine.

Three that I know of, Park, Original, Whiscombe, have two pistons to dampen recoil.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Whiscombe is the only twin opposing springer that's cocked twice and the only twin opposing piston gun where both pistons produce power, hence capable of over 30ftlbs (as in the sum of two normal spring guns).

The other guns mentioned such as the Park use the other piston as a counterbalance (to balance the recoil), not to produce power, hence can just about produce 12ftlbs and to be honest they struggle to get there anyway.

The guns are not exactly 'dead' to shoot as there is a lot happening mechanically, but the more powerful guns have a similar firing cycle to their FAC counterparts.

JW80 is the most powerful Whiscombe and is cocked three times, the third stroke cocks the trigger, the powerful Whiscombes can be hard to cock, just like a FAC airgun would be.

The 80 indicates stroke of the piston as in 80mm.

John made the guns capable of FAC levels as the biggest market is in the US and of course they like their power there whatever it's air or powder.
    I think the Park rifle pistons may be both compression like the Whiscombe. If you look at the transfer port where the pellet is loaded, it is at the mid-point where the pistons meet. That's probably why the power output on them was superior to the Original Giss system.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 19-03-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    What about the new Sterling Arms recoiless gas-ram opposing piston rifle? Tony Belas shows it on one of the episodes of Hot Air, looks like a lovely thing - still in development though!
    I'm with this also - it's exactly what the OP referred to operationally.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired