Thread: Webley Mark 1 air pistol

Webley Mark 1 air pistol - SOLD

SOLDI am selling my really nice example of a .22 Webley Mark 1 air pistol and thought I would give it a mention it here first as it may be of interest to a BBS collector.

The pistol is a post war type with the fluted barrel and has the production number 099 stamped on the end of the spring guide flange and the number 560 under the top of the left hand grip with a lighter stamped number 57 halfway further down. There is another small stamp on the underside at the end of the trigger guard that I cannot read clearly but it looks like it could end in a _7.

The barrel is stamped .22 MK1 on the left hand side of the barrel hinge.

The main frame has no rust and the blue is in excellent overall condition for its age. The barrel is also in nice condition and the barrel catch works smoothly.

Cocking the pistol is a lot harder than the double linkage offers on a Senior but is very smooth and the trigger release is nice and smooth too. The infamous rear "screw slot" has escaped being butchered and has the remains of some red paint in the 'DO NOT REMOVE" stamp.

The right hand side of the pistol is stamped Birmingham 4.

Both black plastic grips have the legend "Webley" moulded in them and are undamaged.

There is not much to find fault with this pistol, it is in very nice overall condition and would make a nice shooting pistol that could also fill a gap in a Webley air pistol collection.

Price is £150 delivered or £140 collected .SOLD
    Last edited by zooma; 11-04-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Mk 1 pistol

Is it possible that you've misread one of the numbers? 099 looks very much like 560 upside down. Sometimes the numbers aren't well punched. I've had this problem with a Mk 1 pistol in the past. I thought that mine was a "bitsa", made up of bits of a few scrap ones. The batch numbers should ideally be the same.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Is it possible that you've misread one of the numbers? 099 looks very much like 560 upside down. Sometimes the numbers aren't well punched. I've had this problem with a Mk 1 pistol in the past. I thought that mine was a "bitsa", made up of bits of a few scrap ones. The batch numbers should ideally be the same.
    You are absolutely right!

When viewed the other way up it does read 560 so the two number stamps do indeed match each other as they should.

Thanks for your assistance - I recorded the numbers in my listing so anybody that was interested could see the numbers that were actually stamped on the pistol - but I read the one on the front upside-down

Even the picture that I took of the pistol front shows the number the right way up - and yet I still read it incorrectly!

Must be an age thing...
    Last edited by zooma; 18-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Just cleaned up a MK 1 this afternoon, is this a prewar model, serial 51032. The last number looks like a back to front 3.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Benelli B76; 18-03-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Just cleaned up a MK 1 this afternoon, is this a prewar model, serial 51032. The last number looks like an upside down 3.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

what did you refinish with, I have a pre war MK1 in about the same condition, shoots OK but rough, has the USA & Canadian patents on the right side, serial no 60553 The right grip has the Webley logo on, is this correct or is it a later replacement,? everything else seems to be in order, non knurled barrel etc, picked it up in a box of old tools at an auction
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Nige, very easy, used 5 inch wire brush in a drill which takes off rust and gives a smooth burnished finish to the steel and leaves the lettering sharp. Cold blue with G96 Gun Blue Crème.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Nige, very easy, used 5 inch wire brush in a drill which takes off rust and gives a smooth burnished finish to the steel and leaves the lettering sharp. Cold blue with G96 Gun Blue Crème.

Baz
    Cheers Baz, Not tried G96, will give it a go

Thanks
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Just cleaned up a MK 1 this afternoon, is this a prewar model, serial 51032. The last number looks like a back to front 3.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi Baz, yes it's a prewar one. nice job on restore.

This Mark 1 is now SOLD.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

This Mark 1 is now SOLD.
    Indeed it is -- to me.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Indeed it is -- to me.
    All here and all good. Thanks for a great little pistol and a wonderful hassle-free deal. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.