Thread: Help with Accles and shelvoke the warrior Piston seal

Question Help with Accles and shelvoke the warrior Piston seal

Hi all,

Just dug my old Warrior air pistol out to have a plink with and for some reason whenever I fired the thing would make a thump sound. Saw some red stuff in the air transfer hole, decided to take the pistol apart, first time ever doing so.

After much faffing about I got it disassembled and turns out the piston seal has become mush! Literally nothing left but tiny pieces.

Is there any suitable replacement around? Since mine was too far gone I could not get a good look at what the seal looks like. From what I could tell it sits behind a thick washer like ring(?) which I cannot remove. Ill upload some images of the piston in the morning if I remember.

Anyone know of any solution?

Cheers,

Jake

Smile

hi, ask lawrie amatruda on here.. kind rgds.. J.S.D.

Also I could make my own seal, but since my was gone, I have no idea of the size ect. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jake

Jake. Photo on my page shows a leather cup seal. Check the inner diameter of the compression tube. I think it is 1 inch. So a 1 inch cup seal from John Knibbs should work ok as per my reply to you on my Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Jake. Photo on my page shows a leather cup seal. Check the inner diameter of the compression tube. I think it is 1 inch. So a 1 inch cup seal from John Knibbs should work ok as per my reply to you on my Facebook page.
    I did think of that. I had a couple of John Knibbs leather seals laying around (Bought two sets off him for my old BSA. Not one fit correctly). But to get it to fit you would need to cut away a lot of material. I tried to do this but just ended up ruining the seal.

The thing about this pistol is that the piston is different to a normal piston. You dont screw the seal to the piston, it just sits behind a large washer which in turn is held in place by the top of the piston. I cant really explain it that well but ill try to upload some images of the piston.

Cheers,

Jake

Sorry about the large images :P

The second image is of the end of the piston that the seal fixes to. You can see that large metal ring that keeps the seal in place. It looks like the end was been widened to stop the ring coming off.

Warrior piston seal

I'm afraid I can't offer a solution, but I know that this is a major problem with the Warrior. Quite often the "belled" section which holds the piston seal in place starts to break up, and this virtually ruins the piston. This may happen if you try to do any work on the metal piston itself.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Warrior Piston seal.

Afew years ago my Warrior ran short of energy, on taking out piston the seal had broken up. Being in the car garage repair business i had loads of old and recent brake cylinder repair kits on my shelf it took me acouple of minutes to find approx rite size. It works ok the pistol now has a decent amount of performance. If brake seals are good enough for your braking effort on a car they are good enough as a piston seal in a air gun. Problem now is can you source any from car spare shops etc. Roly.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Afew years ago my Warrior ran short of energy, on taking out piston the seal had broken up. Being in the car garage repair business i had loads of old and recent brake cylinder repair kits on my shelf it took me acouple of minutes to find approx rite size. It works ok the pistol now has a decent amount of performance. If brake seals are good enough for your braking effort on a car they are good enough as a piston seal in a air gun. Problem now is can you source any from car spare shops etc. Roly.
    Now that's an idea. My father spent over 20 years in the motor trade. I bet he has a few laying about. Right thank you.

Jake
    Last edited by Huttles94; 21-03-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    You don't by chance remember what size seal you put onto yours?

Cheers,

Jake

It looks as though a leather seal is first put on, then that washer and then the spit inner section is spread open wedging the washer onto the seal. Without heating up the piston red hot and somehow narrowing that inner section I can't see (from the photos) how you could remove the washer without damaging it. I guess this is another design that was not intended to be repairable. I find that quite odd considering that this is a Frank Clarke design. Very crude.

seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    You don't by chance remember what size seal you put onto yours?

Cheers,

Jake
    No sorry Jake i did not take the measurement of the seal at the time or from which seal kit i got it from,i dont think it was a B.M.C. Mini seal they are quite large, silly me i should have taken notes, probably busy at the time and since being retired and getting rid of most of my stock
    i did not store the rest of the seals. Ishould have had more sense. Roly.