Quote Originally Posted by taz2 View Post
Well, that's a difficult question to answer. Peoples' perceptions vary enormously as to what they're satisfied with. Personally, I reckon if you can't consistently put 5 shots into under an inch with a factory sporter, and under half that regularly with a half decent target rifle, you've got room to improve.
Most modern rifles are easily capable of doing it. Some even guarantee it nowadays.
A good reload will improve most rifles, I dare say even transform them.
I take your point about bench versus stalk, but if it's mediocre off the bench, it is for sure it will only get worse.
We all have had 'screamers', but doing it every time takes a bit more effort.
Of course, some guns will never do it---if all fails, time for a change.
I have always been slightly amused at the thought that target performance will dictate field performance, a rifle that can hold 1/2 MOA on a target will not neseccarilly shoot better on a live target than a 2MOA rifle, yes it is theoretically more accurate, but in practice the rifle accuracy is way down the list of factors when making a shot from sticks, freehand, off the side of a tree trunk etc,
the only real effect that 1/2MOA has in confidence, which admitted , is a definite positive for a lot of people, but its not the "be all,end all " for a hunting rifle, and I think this is where the apparent difference of opinion occurrs between those that demand ultimate accuracy, and those that realise "dead is dead" (humanely, I'm not talking about the poor thing hovering around for half an hour)