Sorry but this is a no brainer (to me from a service rifel angle).

I shoot CSR both with a .303 and a 5.56x45 (.223 if you have to) and would not consider using factory ammo unless it was free (we occasionally get given mill surp) for the following reasons.

Accuracy

I hear all the pap about it being fine within 2 MOA etc etc, and multi position accounting for a greater drop in accuracy than the ammo....fine. Crack on then. You see it again and again. A mill surp fed rifle producing a medicore group that is better centred being panned hollow by a much less well centered (but much tighter) group from a rifle that likes its ammo.

Sure, at the close ranges where you are shooting off hand you may induce bigger errors than the ammo, but at 200 (against a fig 14 for the bisley bullet) or 300+ unless your rifle "Particularly likes" a brand of ammo, you are better off hand loading.

This is usually the excuse from them that can but cant be arsed.

Consistency

No brainer, I trust my ammo and having seen some GGG split out of the box.... The point is that generally, my rounds fall where the elevation is set. I can rely on it and that is worth the effort....and If it goes wrong I know who to blame

Suitability for the rifle

One issue we have is the need to cycle the rifle smoothly and sometimes rapidy with a hot chamber. A lot of service ammo that is designed to 5.56x45 NATO standards can be quite hot and soft. The net result is whereas my rifle (even when hot) takes a flick like a biathlon rifle to cycle it, some will be hauling on their cocking handles like a rampant bull. You can load, to mag length, and still get decent accuracy.

Avaiability

I dont run out of ammo, just components which I stockpile to cover a season. I also have alternative loads if required, although my rifle is chambered to work with most .223/5.56x45NATO without sticking.

Cost

I use 2 bullets, 77gn SMK and 75gn PPU. In recent tests (had it been a blind test I would not have found any) I found little between the 2 at 500 so I really wont worry about the PPU at 100/200 which is where a lot of practice takes place. In reality even a mediocre match bullet should be better than an SS109 FMJ, particularly if loaded for your rifle. The 77s would be better at 300+ but even so.

The damned prices keep going up, but there is plenty of brass about FOC, but even at 10p a case, shoot it 5 times, you are looking at significant saving with match grade ammo against mill surp or Mill std.

The only real bugger is the time it takes which I have. I used to load at circa 25p a pop, that has obviously gone up but then so has the cost of factory ammo...and some. It can almost be on a par with 7.62x51.

One thing I would always consider (if you are forced to load to mag length) is to use a lee factory crimp die and introduce a light crimp. I Load mag length for all of my rifles and they group better crimped than not across the board.

So yes, if you are shooting relatively high volumes of ammo and need to satisfy certain parameters, hand load. We get through circa 100 per match and between 100-200 per practice. If you are shooting low volumes or have a factory load that cannot be beaten...try it anyway.

Sadly Mod 262 Blackhills is neither cheap nor plentifull and I have nearly chomped through the box load I was given.....