Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Real Reason Modern Rifles Are Accurate

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Real Reason Modern Rifles Are Accurate

In the early 80s we were pleased when we could shoot ten pellets into the diameter of a five-pence piece at 30 yards.

Of course nowadays - most of us anyway - are still pleased to get ten pellets into the diameter of a five-pence piece at 30 yards, yet long-range accuracy has increased significantly.

Most shooters smugly assume that their new-fangled PCPs, top-drawer glass and superior knowledge and skill have given them the edge over their predecessors or older selves, who could barely dream of hitting a 40mm circle at 40 yards.

Yet the real reason that accuracy has increased is the simple fact that the old 5 pence was 23.59 mm in diameter, while the newer one is 18.00 mm.

That means the area of the new one is 254.47 square millimeters, while the old one is 437.06 square millimeters.

Thus air-rifles have become more than 70 per cent more accurate, simply because of the metal-saving actions of the Royal Mint.

It may not be too long before the 5 pence is phased out completely, and then air-rifles will become completely accurate in the manner of a laser being fired in a vacuum.

Judging by one recent post, this may already have happened.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    There's no arguing with that logic!

Of course, the Hw77's of yore really are more accurate today than they were when new. I put that squarely at the feet of improved pellet design and manufacture.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    There's no arguing with that logic!

Of course, the Hw77's of yore really are more accurate today than they were when new. I put that squarely at the feet of improved pellet design and manufacture.
    Yes indeed the pellets were the big revolution along with plastic/nylon piston washers in the parachute style - not that metal rings and 'good old leather' can't do the job but plastic makes it easier for springers to be consistent and efficient.

The other way that I find I can increase accuracy is to move closer to the target. Honestly, it really works. You should try it.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    In the early 80s we were pleased when we could shoot ten pellets into the diameter of a five-pence piece at 30 yards.

Of course nowadays - most of us anyway - are still pleased to get ten pellets into the diameter of a five-pence piece at 30 yards, yet long-range accuracy has increased significantly.

Most shooters smugly assume that their new-fangled PCPs, top-drawer glass and superior knowledge and skill have given them the edge over their predecessors or older selves, who could barely dream of hitting a 40mm circle at 40 yards.

Yet the real reason that accuracy has increased is the simple fact that the old 5 pence was 23.59 mm in diameter, while the newer one is 18.00 mm.

That means the area of the new one is 254.47 square millimeters, while the old one is 437.06 square millimeters.

Thus air-rifles have become more than 70 per cent more accurate, simply because of the metal-saving actions of the Royal Mint.

It may not be too long before the 5 pence is phased out completely, and then air-rifles will become completely accurate in the manner of a laser being fired in a vacuum.

Judging by one recent post, this may already have happened.
    I could never afford a five pence piece when I was a kid, so I had to use a half pence which was smaller than the five pence, so I must have been a better shot than I thought

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I could never afford a five pence piece when I was a kid, so I had to use a half pence which was smaller than the five pence, so I must have been a better shot than I thought

Pete
    That must have been a decimal half-pence, because the pre-decimal ha'penny was the size of a dinner-plate and the reason why the smooth-bore Brown Bess musket persisted well into the era of the rifle. The decimal half-pences were very thin and I remember putting 20 pumps into my Crosman 766 in an effort to fire a steel BB through one of them. It nearly did, then I was struck with horror that I could be tried for treason and deported to Botany Bay for knackering the Queen's Currency and Coppery Fizzog. Because of rampant inflation at the time the Bank of England Police Service looked on currency destruction with one of its blind eyes so I never got to hear a kukkuburra shitting in a eucalyptus bush.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 18-03-2018 at 08:58 PM.

That must have been a decimal half-pence, because the pre-decimal ha'penny was the size of a dinner-plate and the reason why the smooth-bore Brown Bess musket persisted well into the era of the rifle.
    Yep, I might be old but not that old

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Yep, I might be old but not that old

Pete
    You'd save up a few ha'pennies in an old margarine tub and swap them for a bottle of flat coke. One of your mates would then have to put the bubbles in, using whatever gas was to hand. The good old days.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    You'd save up a few ha'pennies in an old margarine tub and swap them for a bottle of flat coke. One of your mates would then have to put the bubbles in, using whatever gas was to hand. The good old days.
    Cola was orignally flat! It was created as a fuel additive to prevent "engine-knock".
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Who in their right mind would let a bottle of coke go flat, surely it was more fun to drink said coke (when fizzy) and then belch out swear words.

Pete

I was struck with horror that I could be tried for treason and deported to Botany Bay for knackering the Queen's Currency and Coppery Fizzog.
    You'd have had me for company. Back in my youth, the silencers I made used drilled 1p coins for baffles. Don't think I'd mind being deported to Botany Bay nowadays though.

Who in their right mind would let a bottle of coke go flat, surely it was more fun to drink said coke (when fizzy) and then belch out swear words.

Pete
    Coke with bubbles in already was for the posh kids on the new private estate, like ready-salted crisps. Three ha'pennies would get a brown paper bag of crisps and someone would have to go down to the salt-lick near the garages where they kept the cow for a few scrapings to season them. If there were calfs around then sometimes we'd have to go without or just use sweat.

Coke with bubbles in already was for the posh kids on the new private estate, like ready-salted crisps. Three ha'pennies would get a brown paper bag of crisps and someone would have to go down to the salt-lick near the garages where they kept the cow for a few scrapings to season them. If there were calfs around then sometimes we'd have to go without or just use sweat.
    I'd rather spend my half pennies dribbling down the glass of the local newsagents cordoned off pick and mix area, you got a lot for ya money back in the day.

Pink shrimp anyone!

Pete

secretagentmole Guest

Please remember...

1980s 5p pieces were much bigger than today's 5p pieces....

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    1980s 5p pieces were much bigger than today's 5p pieces....
    You alright 'Moley?

Another thing is that so many people believe .177's are "more accurate than .22, simply because the think the group size is smaller (by about 0.5~1 milimetre) but they're measuring the outside diameter group, not the centre to centre group. There are far too many girly calibre guns around because of this misunderstanding!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!