Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: how long to wait for airgun in post

Whilst both parties may have contravened PP T&C's with the result that they may wash their hands of the transaction, it has to be said that if one party has paid money in good faith, and the other has failed to dispatch the goods, then it should be very obvious to them who is really at fault. It should not be too difficult for them to make a chargeback to demonstrate that failure to dispatch goods is simply not acceptable....on the other hand they may not wish to be seen to be condoning airgun sales.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

I've been reading this with interest as I buy most of my guns used, mainly by distance purchases.

Regardless of the method of payment, the seller would have probably scammed a buyer whatever.

I see no particular safety in paying by bank transfer either, as it has similar risks.
    Banks are most unhelpful. You transfer money, job done in their mind.

Every now and again someone gets shafted and its a real shame. The law seems to be able to do little and the buyer frequently gets no recompense.

Other than buying from known members on here (and even that can be risky at times as you never know anyone's financial position), if buying from freeads or other less controlled forums, I'll often ask for a pic of the seller's driving license. Not foolproof but a little extra insurance.

I do use paypal but never refer to what I'm buying. If I know the seller, I may use the F&F, if not I buy as purchase and pay the extra for the fees. If goods do not arrive, I would approach paypal and just state goods never arrived. I'd hope that would generate a refund. If paypal asked what I'd bought it certainly wouldn't be anything referring to guns.

I'm aware in the op's case, the seller had linked his paypal to freeads and thats the way the buyer paid. I've never paid that way and never will.

I'd tackle the freeads thing with plod as a seperate entity after getting a refund (or not).
    I reckon there's more chance of a refund this way than by using bank transfer.

Its another eye opening reminder of the dangers of doing deals at distance.

Hope things work out.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Not so fast, Batman...

"What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition."

So both sides of the transaction are contrary to their Ts & Cs.

I would therefore suggest that they would have to cancel the entire transaction and return the money to the buyer to remain compliant with their own Ts & Cs.

Just sayin'.
    Buy or sell not buy and...

One party bought. The other didn’t. That’s against the terms because they used the transaction for that purpose.

Now if PayPal give his money back that would be great but having dealt with PayPal over the very same problem (albeit done on and not a gun) I can tell you the first thing they do is check the items against the terms. Luckily for the £2500 out of my pocket my item was covered. But they will try and wriggle as much as possible.

Tell you what, if you are so certain, cough for a small claim against PayPal should they not refund.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Not so fast, Batman...

"What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition."

So both sides of the transaction are contrary to their Ts & Cs.

I would therefore suggest that they would have to cancel the entire transaction and return the money to the buyer to remain compliant with their own Ts & Cs.

Just sayin'.
    But you can use Paypal to pay for air rifle pellets..... They allow Sundon Models to retail pellets using Paypal as a payment method and Eblag allows the retail of air rifle pellets, consistent they are not!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    But you can use Paypal to pay for air rifle pellets..... They allow Sundon Models to retail pellets using Paypal as a payment method and Eblag allows the retail of air rifle pellets, consistent they are not!

And I bet everyone here is applying the UK legal definition of firearms to the PayPal rules.... Considering its a civil argument, PayPal could apply their own interpretation of "firearms or certain parts"., sure it could be argued in a small claims court but PayPal would win the argument.

Smile

thanks for all the good advice i received on here, i got my money refunded in full from paypal as i expected,

Great, pleased to hear it, best of luck with future transactions,Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by bcham View Post
    thanks for all the good advice i received on here, i got my money refunded in full from paypal as i expected,
    Result, glad it all turned out ok in the end....
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Genuinely surprised to hear that but pleased it worked out OK for you and not OK for the scammer.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Great outcome

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Genuinely surprised to hear that but pleased it worked out OK for you and not OK for the scammer.
    the scammer will have probably have got away with it,
    but paypal refund the money.there selves,that's what you pay your paypal fees for.

Quote Originally Posted by bcham View Post
    the scammer will have probably have got away with it,
    but paypal refund the money.there selves,that's what you pay your paypal fees for.
    So you won’t hesitate to use PayPal again to purchase an airgun then.

Quote Originally Posted by emin-j View Post
    So you won’t hesitate to use PayPal again to purchase an airgun then.
    yes ive been using paypal to buy guns for over 5 years, bought and sold over 70 guns with paypal this was the only one i had problems with, which was resolved.
    ive just purchased an alecto on another forum.

g.l.w is offline The north west's very own Hilda Ogden.
    Glad all turned out well mate.
    Air Arms HFT 500.... Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32