I've got two 38s but both are the later boxy slab sided stocks. Not sure of dates on them but one is an early scruffy probably pre 88 and the younger one is (I think I recall) as late as 93.
I do recall one of the early AGW articles saying the 38s would come to our shores bestowed with walnut. Well I've never seen one so I'm really not sure what gun they had on test.
I have however clapped my eyes on what was shipped into America in the form of early 38s n these are deffo walnut stocked examples with capped pistol grips and hogs back combed stocks.
I'm still confused by the way Diana market their products here and most other places come to that. Between model numbers and specifications.
I've formed an opinion however that perhaps understandably Diana give the biggest and best selection to those countries that they have good sales in. And in the scheme of things this isn't blighty.
Consequently I think you have found a model that is not quite so common around these parts. I get very mixed up with introduction dates and this is where having a reference book is a boon. I can't figure why Original kicked off with the style of stock you have and changed it early doors to the chunky one.
And, I guess changed the trigger set up??
Dave