Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original/ Diana Mod. 38- Early Versions

Original/ Diana Mod. 38- Early Versions

This model has always intigued me and after many years of hunting, I've managed to get my paws in one. Its quite different from the slightly more common later model and the stock reminds me of an HW35E rather than the later 38. Short forend with beech block exposed, hogs back comb and low but well cut cheeckpiece, plastic cap with spacer on pistol grip cap: all as Walters book states. But this stock is definately beech and not walnut as per The Book.
    Everything else is as Walter states: 3 ball trigger, sight ramp, cast front sight hood, trigger guard etc., in place of stamped parts like the 34 of the period.
    This one is an "Original" and the strange thing is that its stamped 08 85: before Walters Spring '86 introduction date. A pleasing find.
    Anyone else familiar with the 38?

I've got two 38s but both are the later boxy slab sided stocks. Not sure of dates on them but one is an early scruffy probably pre 88 and the younger one is (I think I recall) as late as 93.
    I do recall one of the early AGW articles saying the 38s would come to our shores bestowed with walnut. Well I've never seen one so I'm really not sure what gun they had on test.
    I have however clapped my eyes on what was shipped into America in the form of early 38s n these are deffo walnut stocked examples with capped pistol grips and hogs back combed stocks.
    I'm still confused by the way Diana market their products here and most other places come to that. Between model numbers and specifications.
    I've formed an opinion however that perhaps understandably Diana give the biggest and best selection to those countries that they have good sales in. And in the scheme of things this isn't blighty.
    Consequently I think you have found a model that is not quite so common around these parts. I get very mixed up with introduction dates and this is where having a reference book is a boon. I can't figure why Original kicked off with the style of stock you have and changed it early doors to the chunky one.
    And, I guess changed the trigger set up??
    Dave

Got any pics by chance???

Thanks for your input, Dave. Ill see if i can get some photos on soon.
    What i dont know is if this is a T01 or pre- T01 3 ball and if the cylinder is as per the earliest 34s i.e. "short tube".

I'd welcome pics and more detail. The precise history of the 34/36/38, especially in the two or three years after introduction, is complicated and not well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Thanks for your input, Dave. Ill see if i can get some photos on soon.
    What i dont know is if this is a T01 or pre- T01 3 ball and if the cylinder is as per the earliest 34s i.e. "short tube".
    I wonder if its the earliest T05 unit??

Poor light in my hoose so the pictures will have to wait, men. Definitely not T05, Dave. Rifle pre-dates that trigger by a long way. Three ball in there but rifle not stamped T01 as is my '88 34 with that trigger. Both rifles have the twin screws just forward of the trigger.
    Its not a heavy piece and is quite slim. Easy reach to trigger. Very easy and smooth to cock but rifle feels otherwise tight and i dont believe it has seen much use. Not put a pellet through it yet but looking forward to that. It will need a foresight element put in or a scope mounted before it can be used properly. It wears an 045 type rear sight as opposed to the plastic job of the 34 of similar era.

I have a.22 Diana 38 dated 08 88.
    Stock a bit like the 45.

Good used condition easy to cock, nice trigger and accurate with its open sights.
    So a pleasure to shoot.

Not seen the early model.

I've never seen a 38, but see 35,s regularly?
    I've got two 35,s here at present, hideous stocks, brown though instead of the awful orange colour on my 45

The 34 range is vague at best what with the short cylinder then the longer one & all the various stocks, sights,barrel length & triggers so it is no surprise the 38 is just as bad.
    The 38 was the top of the range 34 in 1986 & it was listed as "also available with special Beech stock" though this would make it a 36.

So perhaps its one of these since the manufactured date is close to the 1986 sales date.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zgenjiva0...VsmrFm4M-Fej8a

Pictures above of the 38. As far as comparison with the 36 of similar year goes, its just the stock shape/ pattern and the addition of the sight ramp as far as I can ascertain.
    The 36 and even the 34 gained the ramp soon after. A direct comparison with my '88 34 will follow to compare cylinder length. Ill be needing my anorak at this rate.
    Last edited by Drew451; 21-03-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Does anyone remember when Venom tuned a 38 for a company called Cindys shooting shop.
    It was called the Piranha ..in a stunning walnut stock another one on my list to own.

Odd, a 38 with a 36 style stock. Well that must be early. In the 90s 34-38 were all the same metalwork but with different woodwork, yours would distinctly be 36 style. Mine is 08-88 and has a different, "38" style stock as shown in later catalogues.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by richywilk View Post
    Does anyone remember when Venom tuned a 38 for a company called Cindys shooting shop.
    It was called the Piranha ..in a stunning walnut stock another one on my list to own.
    There is a certain personage on this forum who has one. And very nice it is too.
    If only they had done a walnut tyro or thumbhole to a 45 and worked their magic on the action. I think a 45 with that amount of work on it n.with good handling characteristics would be sublime.
    A small digression from the 38 thread there (ahem)
    Getting back to the subject it would be interesting and informative to explore the claimed short cylinder/ longer cylinder (or could it be short/ long stroke piston) variants among the 34/36/38 action types. I posted a short time ago about having taken cylinder dimensions on the current 35 anniversary model available abroad. As it turned out this was a 34 in what can.only be described as perhaps 34/36 ish clothing.
    Dave

I agree on the potential of 45's with the right tuning and stock options.... But there were very few options, even in their heyday..

I slipped a front sight element into the 38 and had a wee shot with opens over 15m earlier. It shoots very well and although I will have to get the trigger sorted, accuracy seems good. In isolation it seems very responsive as far as shot cycle is concerned: my 34, in .22 also, has I lazier, softer feel. I need to get them both together for a direct comparison.

Shooting just one 10 pellet group each with the pellets I had to hand has Hobby and H&N Spitzkugel giving very good results. Bisley Practice and H&N FTT are normally my favourites in most Diana's, esp. in .22, but both are well behind.