Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .177 farmyard hunting....

.177 farmyard hunting....

Just watched an aeac video on long range .177 pellet stability. He used some predetor polymags and it got me thinking..... The Daystate hasn't sold, the BSA is broke, as am I & I'm currently without a pcp (don't like using a gun I'm trying to sell). So I'm considering re-scoping the DS and trying some of the above pellets or other various hollow point variations for the farm. Might even service it & wind the power back to 9.5/10 just to slow them down a bit more.
    What is people's impression of the various "hunting hollows" ,"flat heads" & what I call "spiked hollows".... Any recommendations in .177?
    And is there any other tips I could use for a .177 rat & bird rig?
    Thanks Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Hi Rhys,

I found the Polymag shorts and Baracuda Hunter Extreme to be accurate in my HW100 and the DS Mk3 that I recently parted with.

Give me a shout if you want some to try.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Hi Rhys,

I found the Polymag shorts and Baracuda Hunter Extreme to be accurate in my HW100 and the DS Mk3 that I recently parted with.

Give me a shout if you want some to try.
    That's a good offer.. you about Thursday?
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    That's a good offer.. you about Thursday?
    I'll be at work but, you're welcome to pop in for a cuppa mate.

I'll bring the pellets in with me.

All of the above.

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I like flat heads. I don't believe that the extra shock makes any difference to a clean kill but the extra energy dumped (a considerable amount) means less over penetration and so less ricochet.
    I will have some at the bash which you are welcome to try
    Pete

What is people's impression of the various "hunting hollows" ,"flat heads" & what I call "spiked hollows".... Any recommendations in .177?
    Thanks Rhys
    Not tried the "spiked hollows" so can't comment, when I used .177 I found Powerpell were usually the most accurate.

Tips for .177 ratting if you must use it, either turn the power down or keep the range to over 25yds to minimize through shots.

Just watched an aeac video on long range .177 pellet stability. He used some predetor polymags and it got me thinking..... The Daystate hasn't sold, the BSA is broke, as am I & I'm currently without a pcp (don't like using a gun I'm trying to sell). So I'm considering re-scoping the DS and trying some of the above pellets or other various hollow point variations for the farm. Might even service it & wind the power back to 9.5/10 just to slow them down a bit more.
    Thanks Rhys
    That is what daystates run at from new

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    That is what daystates run at from new
    (Snigger!)

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Not tried the "spiked hollows" so can't comment, when I used .177 I found Powerpell were usually the most accurate.

Tips for .177 ratting if you must use it, either turn the power down or keep the range to over 25yds to minimize through shots.
    The RWS Supermag are a good option too.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

I've been interested to try the polymags but the expense (particularly with the need to re zero) has put me off.

Thinking about it again in my HW100T .177 AA Diabolo fields have proved to be accurate and capable of a clean kills out to 25m which is the maximum I am happy with for live quarry so not much benefit in using anything else for my own situation.

I hadn't noticed "through shots" on the rats, it does tend to be dark and I'm not looking too closely - but never noticed any damage to adjacent machinery/buildings in the light of day after.

just buy a .25 cal like i did...

little bsa ultra was the best thing i ever bought.
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

For hunting I always use bisley mags in .177. Just shot a large rat in the back garden that wished I didn't!

Rhys, at barn and yard ranges - 10-20 yards - wadcutters, hollowpoints and Polymags (assuming you hit the spot) will all deliver a clean kill. They are all more than capable of going through-and-through at close range, especially in .177 and while they may make more noise on impact, your quarry is no more dead - remember, sound energy is wasted energy.
    I've tried them all and always come back to a quality roundnose brand. Hobby, for example, can be highly effective, but don't ride the breeze very well and exotics such as Polymag are very expensive, while being no more effective than a domed design.
    The only real way to reduce the risk of overpenetration is to reduce the ME of the rifle. I use a 7 ft/lb HW30s for such work and even this can go all the way through on occasion.

I remember trying out H&N Hollwpoints (I think they were initially marketed as Beeman) many years ago, in anticipation of Dirty Harry style kills on rabbits (well I was young!).

When I tested them, the only time they "mushroomed", ie. the front cavity opening and folding backwards, was when fired into very dense material like plasticine or putty. When recovered from shot quarry, they showed no more noticeable deformation than a round or flat head pellet. This was at 12 ft-lb levels; they may well perform better at higher velocities.

Thanks Rhys
    I found I was getting over penetration with JSB heavy.
    Switched to RWS Superdome which dropped power considerably and had very good results on ferals. No over penetration - all energy dumped into quarry
    B.A.S.C. member