Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .177 farmyard hunting....

You might consider RWS Supermags. A heavy (9.3 grain) wadcutter. Should do the trick.

I use polymag shorts in my air ranger .177 at 11.4 ftlbs
    ratting to 40 yards polymags stop them DEAD and dont leave an exit wound

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    I like flat heads. I don't believe that the extra shock makes any difference to a clean kill but the extra energy dumped (a considerable amount) means less over penetration and so less ricochet.
    I will have some at the bash which you are welcome to try
    Yep, and I had much success back in the day for close range farmyard duties with the good old Hobby. Ideal at short range as it sheds energy quickly and is very soft.

Talking of being able to drop power for short range duties (and I'm not talking boingers, shock, horror), this would be a fantastic remit for a quality multi-pump wouldn't it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Rhys, we'll have a chat at the Bash
    “An airgun or two”………

In .177 I don't think pellet shape makes any difference what so ever. Its completely dependent on shot placement.
    In other calibres then weight of pellet might make a difference, but thats if it hits the right spot. Just deeper penetration which on a rat is way beyond the other side. Pigeon crop or feather plugging is the only real obstacle for the larger calibres at these low velocities. Maybe rabbit cranium, but not really.

There is very little hydraulic shock at these velocities/ft/lbs whatever the calibre. .25 might do something just because they are huge, big hole.

FAC then maybe.

Its shot placement that counts, and nothing else is going to fix a poor one.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Not tried the "spiked hollows" so can't comment, when I used .177 I found Powerpell were usually the most accurate.

Tips for .177 ratting if you must use it, either turn the power down or keep the range to over 25yds to minimize through shots.
    Or as i do for work, use barracuda hunter extremes. I use these exclusively through my ultra se night guns and they are so humane . No runners, just helicopter tails.
    Last edited by Mole trapper; 20-03-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    In .177 I don't think pellet shape makes any difference what so ever. Its completely dependent on shot placement.
    In other calibres then weight of pellet might make a difference, but thats if it hits the right spot. Just deeper penetration which on a rat is way beyond the other side. Pigeon crop or feather plugging is the only real obstacle for the larger calibres at these low velocities. Maybe rabbit cranium, but not really.

There is very little hydraulic shock at these velocities/ft/lbs whatever the calibre. .25 might do something just because they are huge, big hole.

FAC then maybe.

Its shot placement that counts, and nothing else is going to fix a poor one.
    agreed but the reason for the thread isn't about killing so much as trying to prevent through and through which can cause damage to property or ricochet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Or as o do for work, use barracuda hunter extremes. I use these exclusively through my ultra se night guns and they are so humane . No runners, just helicopter tails.
    been looking at these pellets and thinking id like to try them, only problem is I serviced the DS today and re-scoped with one of these:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/N...ra-Turret.html

zero'd, measured scope height, chrono'd it & its running at 10.8 with jsb heavies (cos I had some) and its stacking them really tight at the preferred zero of 26 yrds. I wasn't really trying either. the new scope on 7 is clear as a bell from 18-40 yrds and on 3 from 8 yrds which is very cool. the plex ret is awesome too. so itl shoot flat from 8yrds to 27..., enough to aim dead on all the way.

now, although trying pellets is probably a good idea, its f'ing hard when something works as well as this does to change it ...
    I really don't want to sell this rifle.. I really like it too much, I just need to put it in a grs stock., put a 4-16 on top and just use it for fun because its so good! I did have the idea of changing it to a .20 once.., scr quoted me bout £300-350 to do the swap but again, its so deadly in the calibre it is I don't want to change it. maybe I should just save up and sort the R10!

anyways.... doesn't look like ill ever manage to strip myself down to one pcp
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Shoot through happens equally with any pellet at very short range. At mid range then the .22 might slow a tad due to its frontal area but being heavier holds its energy better. Only .25 at range is most likely to slow considerably through a flesh tissue medium. But theses bigger calibre's have more weight if they miss so break brittle farm building materials more. .177 tend to break up, but cut through thin metal sheeting more easily. The all will dent thin metal sheeting.
    On oak beams then all can bounce straight back at you, the bigger the pellet the more likely. .177 more likely to penetrate and stay. .22 ding and drop off. .25 bruise and drop off.

The velocity would have to be very low, or lead very soft, too soft, to stop damage from a miss. Going through a body cavity isn't reliable to counter over shoot damage to backstops. Farmers don't like paint damage to their multi thousands Tractors and machinery. Broken tile or sheeting is expensive to fix.

7 ft/lbs would deliver enough for a kill at "in the barn" ranges, and might not break as much stuff.

Maybe some vermin controllers might give their experience here?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Shoot through happens equally with any pellet at very short range. At mid range then the .22 might slow a tad due to its frontal area but being heavier holds its energy better. Only .25 at range is most likely to slow considerably through a flesh tissue medium. But theses bigger calibre's have more weight if they miss so break brittle farm building materials more. .177 tend to break up, but cut through thin metal sheeting more easily. The all will dent thin metal sheeting.
    On oak beams then all can bounce straight back at you, the bigger the pellet the more likely. .177 more likely to penetrate and stay. .22 ding and drop off. .25 bruise and drop off.

The velocity would have to be very low, or lead very soft, too soft, to stop damage from a miss. Going through a body cavity isn't reliable to counter over shoot damage to backstops. Farmers don't like paint damage to their multi thousands Tractors and machinery. Broken tile or sheeting is expensive to fix.

7 ft/lbs would deliver enough for a kill at "in the barn" ranges, and might not break as much stuff.

Maybe some vermin controllers might give their experience here?
    variable power required... I'm half tempted by a streamline you know...still.., il have a play with mine and see how it goes. Thanks for the input
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

A variable power rifle would solve the problem. Pity there isn't a dual power springer. Look at the HW45 - so why can't they do the same with a rifle? I'd be interested...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    A variable power rifle would solve the problem. Pity there isn't a dual power springer. Look at the HW45 - so why can't they do the same with a rifle? I'd be interested...
    Could do easy., Half cock 6ftlbs full cock 11.5. be great for indoor/ outdoor shooting.

Short range

Although its frowned upon a recoilless PCP or co2 .22 pistol with a red dot or laser will work very well at below 10 yds.
    mk2 rapid.22

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Although its frowned upon a recoilless PCP or co2 .22 pistol with a red dot or laser will work very well at below 10 yds.
    No pistol should be used for shooting prey except dispatching in a cage trap.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I use polymag shorts in my air ranger .177 at 11.4 ftlbs
    ratting to 40 yards polymags stop them DEAD and dont leave an exit wound
    I shot one Monday with the .22lr, about 15yds from an upstairs window & struggled to find an exit wound even though the bullet blew a fist size hole in the ground

Holes in the backstop (barn/shed wall) are often the first hint

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Could do easy., Half cock 6ftlbs full cock 11.5. be great for indoor/ outdoor shooting.
    I slightly doubt it, nice though it would be. Given all that funny tech stuff that I don't really understand about swept volume, start pressures, TP size...

Given the expectations of a plinker pistol, the variable HW45 gets away with it, but I doubt a springer rifle can be made that performs to an acceptable level based only on changes to stroke at both 5.9 and 11 ft-lbs.

If it could, I'd buy it.

Rhys, might you just be better off spending £50-100 on a .22" Meteor, Diana 27, etc?