Thread: Webley Senior (straight grip), Info/help/parts

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley Senior (straight grip), Info/help/parts

I have recently acquired a straight gripped Webley Senior Project. I have been trying to clean it up and free bits off and sort out a problem or 2.

How many of the parts are the same or can be swapped with a later model? I am guessing that the pistons will swap over, but what about the trigger and sear?
    I know a nice chap on here can help with a set of grips if I get that far-------so for now think the problem bits will mainly be the trigger guard(I'M NOW SORTED FOR A TRIGGER GUARD), which looks like a Straight gripped Mk1 will fit, the middle cocking link and the cocking shoe, which should be the wedge shaped one.

If anyone can help with the info or any of the bits, please get in touch. Even a worn link and shoe would be handy, to get built up maybe?

Just a thought--has anyone actually made up a batch of these bits as I guess with the age, a few pistols will be needing them?

I'll update this later with the problem I have hopefully sorted.
    Thank you

The frame was missing a rearsight and had a V filed into the top of the breech housing. I got a spring and a plunger and tried it in the little hole for the barrel catch. It was very tight so I used a fine file to file the plunger down and kept trying it. I noticed the spring was tight in the hole as well, so I found a bit of bar someone sent me years ago for knocking stuff out of barrels that people had jammed in, then ground a bit of a taper on the end with an angle grinder put some brasso on it and put it in the plunger hole and spun it in the drill.. I don't know if the hole was just scored or slightly oval, but the rod and brasso seemed to do the job. I came back in the house and tried the spring and plunger again and they jammed in the hole! . I decided I would have to try to drill a small hole and then knock the plunger and spring out. There was a slight dimple on the back of the housing that I thought was a drill that had gone too deeply from the other side. I used a centre punch and hit this dimple and it made a small hole I then prodded in the hole with a moulding pin and then a panel pin and got the plunger and spring out. I cleaned it up again, used a slightly longer spring and it worked.
    I then had the "lightbulb moment" when I realised what had been done to the gun and why! The plunger had always been tight, or had been for many years and it had jammed. They had drilled the small hole in the housing so a pin could be used to push it if it jammed. As the windage plate of the rearsight would cover the hole, they had left it off and filed the V in the breech housing!

The barrel pivot screw was missing off this as well. Instead is had a piece of roundbar that was threaded at either end and a nut on each end as well. The nuts came off ok but the bar was a sod to shift. Even with Plus Gas and heat it didn't want to come out. It was not seized onto the barrel, just really tight. I had to knock it so far out, get some oil on it and knock it back and keep working it like this until it came out. I damaged the threads on the end but I don't think there was another way really. I have a screw and lock screw to replace it and the threads seem ok in the frame. I managed to undo one grip screw but the other was stuck. I applied gentle heat to the frame but was wary of further damaging the grip. I put some Plus Gas down the hole and left it a day. The next day I managed to tighten the screw to break the rust using a spanner and a ratchet screw driver, but it would not undo. More Plus gas and left it another day and then it came undone. A rough bent rearsight was heated up and squeezed between some flat bar in a vice and then heated again and lightly tapped with a hammer to get it near straight.
    Last edited by ggggr; 14-12-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Sorted for trigger guard
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I'll have a look in my bits box when I get home Gra.
    Good deals with these members

Hi Mate most of these bits are still available through J. Knibbs International. (airgunspares.com ) Have a look on their website. parts diagrams can be down loaded and printed off from T.W. Chambers website.
    Last edited by metalmickey; 28-04-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Hi Guy, according to Gordon Bruce the Senior piston is a different length to the MKII and MKI and takes a shorter spring. Give me a ring as I am not sure of your email addy and I will send details from the book inc an exploded drawing. You do take on some cases that the rest of us would consider hopeless don't you!
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Still looking for a Senior piston myself.
    Anyone know if a Hurricane pistol would work?
    There’s 2 on ......