Thread: Air arms Pro elite barrel removal?

Air arms Pro elite barrel removal?

Hiya I'm looking to remove a barrel from my air arms pro elite -is there a special spanner available to fit the main securing nut as I've tried using a wide blade screw driver in the cut outs and it won't budge? Cheets

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    just grind the inside section out of a wide blade screwdriver bit
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Job done. Barrel removed now cheers . Also whilst on the subject of pro elites does anybody know what the spring length/ number of coils should be on a 12ft lbs rifle in .177?

Quote Originally Posted by dougbunney View Post
    Job done. Barrel removed now cheers . Also whilst on the subject of pro elites does anybody know what the spring length/ number of coils should be on a 12ft lbs rifle in .177?
    if you want to use it at 12FP, try and shorten the stroke a bit. One simple mod that has other benfits is to machine the piston nose to take an HW80 seal instead. It stays in place more securely than the AA one, and also shorten the stroke by about 5mm, which helps a bit.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    if you want to use it at 12FP, try and shorten the stroke a bit. One simple mod that has other benfits is to machine the piston nose to take an HW80 seal instead. It stays in place more securely than the AA one, and also shorten the stroke by about 5mm, which helps a bit.
    Not really looking to modify it- just get the power up to around 11 as currently running low on power in .177 -was a .22 but ive swapped barrel today and power has dropped so I'm thinking about ordering a new piston seal but also need to know if the spring I have is too short as I notice they list different springs for. 22 or .177

Quote Originally Posted by dougbunney View Post
    Not really looking to modify it- just get the power up to around 11 as currently running low on power in .177 -was a .22 but ive swapped barrel today and power has dropped so I'm thinking about ordering a new piston seal but also need to know if the spring I have is too short as I notice they list different springs for. 22 or .177
    You probably know this, but a word of warning in case - the pro elite has huge power potential and is designed to run over 20 FP, well above the 12 FP limit, so make sure you have a chrono to hand, and expect to have to chop the spring a little... Spring length is a very poor guide of overall stiffness / energy, as the wire guage has such a huge effect. FWIW I prefer a less stiff, but still fairly long spring in these, i.e. 3.0mm wire. the 3.2 or 3.4 wire springs are stiff and difficult to get under 12Fp and still shoot nicely.

Yep I have a chrono and am aware of the things mentioned above. This rifle is now only putting out 7 ft lbs which is obviously massively down on what it should be so I'm guessing it's going to be either the spring is too short or piston seal needs replacing? Possibly both so just trying to find out from anyone in the know how long the standard .177 spring should be as I'm guessing mine Is a bit short as it was originally a .22 rifle

I see you are in leicester.... just around the corner from you, in 3 weeks time, a rather large number of us are meeting up at the BBS Springer Bash. Happy to bring my box of springs up and you can try a few if you feel like attending - it's a very sociable meet where you get to talk about and shoot all things springer related, with a lot of passionate springer folks

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I see you are in leicester.... just around the corner from you, in 3 weeks time, a rather large number of us are meeting up at the BBS Springer Bash. Happy to bring my box of springs up and you can try a few if you feel like attending - it's a very sociable meet where you get to talk about and shoot all things springer related, with a lot of passionate springer folks
    cheers I'll try and get over and have a shoot with you guys -hopefully have the pro elite sorted before then though - going to speak with air arms today.