Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breech seals ... wouldn't it be nice

Breech seals ... wouldn't it be nice

Wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers provided a complete list of the O ring sizes used on their guns? I know you can usually find the sizes via a Google search or by asking on the BBS but it would be nice to be given the BS or metric sizes in the manual. The thought came to me when looking for a breech seal for an Original 66. I found, somewhat by trial and error, that a BS109 is a very good fit; the same size as used on a Theoben Fenman.
    An Air Arms TX200 breech seal is a BS108 and as far as I can remember, the size is given on the Julian Bond spares site. But I think that site is unique in giving the seal types and sizes ... thank you Julian.
    Just thoughts from a Victor Meldrew impersonator .....
    Cheers, Phil

But then how would the the spares suppliers be able to charge you £3 for a 10p o ring?

It would be a great sticky so folk could add to it......
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

In the past I have suggested the BBS set up a wiki indexed on manufacturer, and airgun. Within it the BBS collective could store information and images on these airguns including scans of manuals, specifications (such as the o-ring sizes), breakdown and servicing info, etc.

Nothing came of it - and it would not be difficult to implement.

What say you BBS admins?

So far I tend to agree with all the comments made. I note the comment about spares suppliers but do not think they would be that hard hit. Many people would still be happy to just buy the appropriate ring from the spares shop and fit it rather than go searching for an O ring supplier. And it has been pointed out several times that the spares business is not overly profitable; not that I always agree, but that is off the point. A database? Very good idea. Including manuals could be good but maybe it should be pointed out that manuals are often available from a google anyway ... ok, they are not all in one place so a BBS resource could be good. O ring database .. again there is some published data if you hunt for it but as far as I know it is never included in the manual that comes with the rifle/pistol. I have my own database compiled from various sorces, including the BBS and other fora but occasionally come unstuck and have to go searching.... hence my 'find' that the Orig 66 breech is the same as the Fenman (OK, the Fenman ring supplied by Theoben had a bit cut out of one edge but that is not really relevant as I found an 'un-nicked' one worked fine and you can nick your own with a hole punch if you really want to). I also accept that not all breeches are fitted with O rings .. several Gamo for instance are pretty special shapes. Incidentally, many 'collectable' rifles have 12mm x 8mm breech grooves and it is possible to cut your own from urethane tubing, available very cheaply. As for strips ... do not forget the Idiots Guide in Collectables but I accept that modern guns are not really included. The airgun magazines have done a wonderful job in publishing strip guides ... maybe a comprehensive collection of those would be good, but it would clearly need co-ordination across publishers and I doubt if that would be seen as worth the effort, even if the legal aspects were resolved.
    But overall, if a resource was started I would add to it.
    Cheers, Phil

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    In the past I have suggested the BBS set up a wiki indexed on manufacturer, and airgun. Within it the BBS collective could store information and images on these airguns including scans of manuals, specifications (such as the o-ring sizes), breakdown and servicing info, etc.

Nothing came of it - and it would not be difficult to implement.

What say you BBS admins?
    Start the wiki, and link to it in a thread, and the mods can sticky it?
    Good deals with these members

Seal size database?

Great idea, chaps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Sounds like a good idea, I've just bought some replacement O rings for my Theoben Sirocco from Bagnall and Kirkwood (only because they didn't want double figures to buy them) and they are not the same size as what's inside the rifle, even checking the original O rings with the ones I have in one of these generic O ring sets (I got mine from Aldi) turned up a blank, the rubber even seemed to be harder on the originals, so I'd be a bit worried about using the wrong shore on a rifle you have to pump a crap load of pressure into, so unless I'm prepared to traipse round the countryside trying to find an O ring supplier to match what I already have then a list of proper fitting and shore hardness would be most welcome, another little bugbear at the moment is suppliers not enclosing a little note on how to fit a certain part if they fit differently than normal, I decided to buy a new piston seal for the Sirocco and tried to fit it the normal way of popping it in a jug of hot water for a few minutes and then trying to push it on the piston like all the other makers seals I've ever fitted, this one just wouldn't sit straight and had a good 1mm + gap on one side, even putting it in a vice and squeezing it on with uniform pressure didn't work, I asked the supplier off of the bay of E (who turned out to be Impact rifles themselves) for advice and they came back with you have to twist and push it on at the same time, the trouble is the wedge part that holds it on the piston is damaged now and even if twisted on still won't sit right, so that's nearly £30 down the drain all because Theoben have to do things a little differently than others.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I would be happy to add the data i have from the carrier bag of o rings i have aquired over the years, just need to remember what they were all for!

Can it just be a thread thats added to? Or does it need to be something different?

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    I would be happy to add the data i have from the carrier bag of o rings i have aquired over the years, just need to remember what they were all for!

Can it just be a thread thats added to? Or does it need to be something different?
    I have started a new thread 'O ring database' on here with info I have.
    By all means add new posts to it with new information. I may well then add the new info to the original post.
    Thanks, Phil

Cool i will have a look next time i have the bag out and work out whats what!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    It would be a great sticky so folk could add to it......
    As more and more rifles become obsolete this would be really helpful.
    Hw77+7

O rings

I tried to buy an oring of an o ring supplier, yes they could supply them but minimum order was 200! seal kits off the bay are well worth the money. But a data base would be a great.
    mk2 rapid.22

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    I tried to buy an oring of an o ring supplier, yes they could supply them but minimum order was 200! seal kits off the bay are well worth the money. But a data base would be a great.
    I use this supplier: https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Se...705/index.html but you can see the economy of scale with buying large amounts! I usually settle on 50.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    But then how would the the spares suppliers be able to charge you £3 for a 10p o ring?
    Or even £3 for a 2p oring!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.