Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who remembers the Brocock Fox ?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Yes!
    It's not open to the public but appointments can be made if you have a scholarly interest.
    I was just trying to look it up when your reply went 'ping'! Happy days.

I visited twice with Dad, and he sadly passed away over 21 years ago so I must be getting old. Met the curator (what a job) who Dad had clearly known for some considerable time even then. The only 'Herb' I've ever encountered so far and unbelievably knowledgeable, though can't remember his full name. A truly extraordinary place.

Actually.... I do have a scholarly reason for going there... and its in Leeds (if anyone wants to join the coach party).

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    the 'Enfield Pattern Room'. Incidentally, does that still exist ?

]
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Yes!
    It's not open to the public but appointments can be made if you have a scholarly interest.
    The Enfield Pattern Room no longer exists, since the deeply misguided destruction of Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) Enfield and its replacement by a new factory in Nottingham, 99% of whose employees had no experience in manufacturing firearms, let alone the nation's primary service weapon. Which explains, at least in part, why the SA80 Mk1 was such a crock of crock-content.

Its contents are now part of the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds and can indeed be accessed if you can persuade them that you are a scholarly academic researcher.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    I was just trying to look it up when your reply went 'ping'! Happy days.

I visited twice with Dad, and he sadly passed away over 21 years ago so I must be getting old. Met the curator (what a job) who Dad had clearly known for some considerable time even then. The only 'Herb' I've ever encountered so far and unbelievably knowledgeable, though can't remember his full name. A truly extraordinary place.

Actually.... I do have a scholarly reason for going there... and its in Leeds (if anyone wants to join the coach party).

Herbert Woodend (1943-2003). Not just the curator but basically the creator of the Pattern Room. By all accounts a character.