Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who remembers the Brocock Fox ?

Who remembers the Brocock Fox ?

Had one of these in the 90's which I sold for £120. Made my own special pellets for it which it seemed to like and had a few nice rabbit stews from it. It was not like the other Brococks as it had no hammer mechanism, just a release button that pushed in the air valve from the pressure of your finger on the trigger.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Always wanted one of these......love the 'Day of the Jackel' concept. I have a couple of alros trailsman rifles which are pretty similar.

Shame really, as you say the trigger mechanism only used pressure applied to the valve stem of the TAC and not a hammer spring, so I'm my opinion should have survived the ban as they wouldn't have been candidates for conversion in the same way as the others.

Never had one, did really want one back in the day.

I did have an Ensign Royale, Saxby and Palmer Galaxy, two Heralds, and a Lee-Enfield No4.

None of them was really any good.

The Lee-Enfield was the least bad, because it was a real Lee-Enfield that you could shoot in your back garden. Which was

When it worked.

The cartridges would rattle around in the mag, then the "NATO" (sod all to do with the actual NATO) bullets would fall off the cartridges, then the thing would misfeed. Same with the Herald (and the weight of the empties was always going to overstress and eventually break the ejector on both conversions).

The earlier Elite/Royale/Galaxy/Saturn was a better field proposition. But the cartridges were prone to leaking and inconsistent velocity, and the heavy striker powered by a big spring meant they were almost as hold-sensitive as a decent springer. And if you had it cocked and bumped the bolt handle on something, the bolt, propelled by the striker spring, would fly backwards at speed and take a chunk out of your strong hand. You learned quickly to keep the right thumb on top of the bolt handle.

Yes I remember them I also had one back in the day I miss it big style I have sent a few emails off to brocock asking them to reintroduce something similar I thought it can be redone with a air source in the but perhaps a bent air-tube? it was at the time brocock were going threw big changes so I think it fell on deaf ears? I also sent emails to other manufactures asking if they would or could bring out a takedown along the same lines as the fox was I think it would have some good sales especially if the price could be kept around or below £250 I did put the idea to Terry Doe form Airgun World if he could put the idea into the right place or ear to get this back into the market --perhaps one day fingers crossed

Had one in .25. They were cool. Only problem, they couldn't hit a barn door.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Yes I remember them I also had one back in the day I miss it big style I have sent a few emails off to brocock asking them to reintroduce something similar I thought it can be redone with a air source in the but perhaps a bent air-tube? it was at the time brocock were going threw big changes so I think it fell on deaf ears? I also sent emails to other manufactures asking if they would or could bring out a takedown along the same lines as the fox was I think it would have some good sales especially if the price could be kept around or below £250 I did put the idea to Terry Doe form Airgun World if he could put the idea into the right place or ear to get this back into the market --perhaps one day fingers crossed
    I am thinking maybe something powered by 12g CO2 capsules. That could be fun, and hopefully not too expensive. The Chinese would probably have to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    An inherent issue when each air cartridge introduces a whole new set of variables to the equation, including on consistency of charging from a manual pump, even when they weren't leaking.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I never knew the trigger just pushed the valve in, that's similar to the Harper Micro pistol then? I've been toying with making something similar for a while. Not with a TAC I hasten to add, just a one shot precharge tank that could screw into the barrel behind the already loaded pellet.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

One thing I would love to see is a rifle like the Spartan or PH Phoenix that uses a magazine (like a live firing rifle) and carts (like those used by the co2 copy peacemakers and alike). All the cart would be for is holding the pellet until the point the bolt is cycled and pushes the pellet through into the breech. Or even fire the pellet directly from the cart in the same vein as the co2 pistols, although I imagine this would be more inefficient. That would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Mine was quite accurate as I persevered in experimenting with different pellets and found the zinc heads with a bit of plastic tube which I made up myself gave good groups out to 30 yds, but had quite a drop after that. You can see a few in the pic of the rifle.These old rifles were far smaller and lighter than the Alros Trailsman.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy_Boy View Post
    One thing I would love to see is a rifle like the Spartan or PH Phoenix that uses a magazine (like a live firing rifle) and carts (like those used by the co2 copy peacemakers and alike). All the cart would be for is holding the pellet until the point the bolt is cycled and pushes the pellet through into the breech. Or even fire the pellet directly from the cart in the same vein as the co2 pistols, although I imagine this would be more inefficient. That would be pretty cool.
    I think Umarex may be doing this with a new range of 1894 Winchester rifles. I might have dreamt it though........
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I am thinking maybe something powered by 12g CO2 capsules. That could be fun, and hopefully not too expensive. The Chinese would probably have to make it.

Only thing that might be a issue I have herd that co2 sometimes can be affected by the outside temperature ? will this not make it in-consent?
    An inherent issue when each air cartridge introduces a whole new set of variables to the equation, including on consistency of charging from a manual pump, even when they weren't leaking.
    That was a issue especially after dropping the tacs into a dusty coat pocket ---- if you kept them clean they shot perfect

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I think Umarex may be doing this with a new range of 1894 Winchester rifles. I might have dreamt it though........
    No, you are correct Nick they are. And it rejects the cart out the side when the action is cycled. But it is yet another co2 plinker. If it were an accurate, 12ftlb pneumatic.....I would buy one in a heartbeat. Doesn't seem to be insurmountable if it can be done with co2.

I've only ever seen one which had been handed in to the Ivybridge Gunshop when visiting with PaddySP some years ago. An interesting thing that largely reminded me of a coat hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I never knew the trigger just pushed the valve in, that's similar to the Harper Micro pistol then? I've been toying with making something similar for a while. Not with a TAC I hasten to add, just a one shot precharge tank that could screw into the barrel behind the already loaded pellet.
    Is that not the sort of what Graham Trim had made ?

https://youtu.be/DZchwyG4nG0?t=2m16s

I had the Saxby and Palmer Galaxy (or was it Ensign Elite ?), after some issues and it being returned, I went from using the plastic to ali cartridges. With careful pumping of the cartridge, I used Eley Waps in .22, mine was actually quite accurate

I also had a fairly early Orion pistol (HW Orion ?) and again, with careful pumping I was surprised how accurate it was upto about 10 yards using hobby wadcutters

All long since gone, I remember a .22lr type mag fed TAC rifle being talked then quietly dropped with ban looming

I still four boxes of six TAC's I bought in .22 never used
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177