Thread: .177 barrel needed

.177 barrel needed

Greetings,
    I need a .177 barrel that I can adapt to save a recent acquisition. The air rifle in question is a 1907 BSA underlever picked up at the splendid Melbourne Marksmen do last weekend. This poor runt of the litter had been attacked by Mr. Hacksaw to make a 13" barrelled carbine.... this would be alright as a novelty but the rifling is badly pitted at the tap end. I've stripped it and all is well with the cylinder, piston and loading tap. The wood is nicely figured too and shows a Steelhouse Gun & Cycle stamping.

The best bet would be something about 16 mm diameter so it can be blended into the breech area ; ideally a BSA barrel as using a HW or Lothar Walther is just wrong somehow! I have access to a lathe etc.
    The other option is of course a complete spare barrel and tap assembly.

Thanks
    torrens

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    other option is to bore out the barrel and insert a liner )and thin barrel). It surprisingly easy, but obviously won't address the "carbine" aspect.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks ST for the suggestion. The only barrel liners I've come across have been the skinny tubes used in Crosman pump-up air rifles. That's an option, it's a natty little rifle with the 12.5" barrel, like a heavy BSA prewar Junior.

So, anyone have a spare Mercury/ Supersport etc. .177 barrel OR a rifled barrel liner?

Cheers
    torrens

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by torrens View Post
    Thanks ST for the suggestion. The only barrel liners I've come across have been the skinny tubes used in Crosman pump-up air rifles.
    Yup, that's exactly what I used in a knackered BSA scorpion pistol barrel - worked very well indeed - 8mm OD.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The only problem with that is you don't see complete Crosman pumper rifles for sale much never mind spare barrels..... they used to be cheap n' cheerful s/h.

A polite request again;

who's got a tatty/ rusty and matt black painted or sandpapered bare steel but not worth rebluing, complete break barrel or 15" minimum offcut, 16 ish mm. diameter, with decent .177 rifled bore?

I'll even pay money for it....