Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW98 latch rod question

HW98 latch rod question

Is it possible to change the piston latch rod for a longer one on the HW98? Rather than put a plastic piston extension.
    And where to get one, any makers/tuners do these?

Thanks all.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
    Is it possible to change the piston latch rod for a longer one on the HW98? Rather than put a plastic piston extension.

Thanks all.
    I'm also interested, but with a 95 in mind (same piston)

I’ve an idea they’re out there for the TX, surely there are more HW about to make it worth doing??
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Have you tried NickG he has hw latch rods made

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it's more about the fixing in the piston... UNlike TX200s whcih just screw in with an M10 thread, I think the HW rods are pinned into the piston heads, and removal can be messy. But should be do-able.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    it's more about the fixing in the piston... UNlike TX200s whcih just screw in with an M10 thread, I think the HW rods are pinned into the piston heads, and removal can be messy. But should be do-able.
    As Jon said the hw rods are pushed in and cross pinned.
    The vmach hw glided piston are threaded like the tx pistons.

Thanks all, any contact details for Nick G, is it TbT Nick??
    Ta.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Thanks all, any contact details for Nick G, is it TbT Nick??
    Ta.
    Nope, it's NickG, NickG
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Nope, it's NickG, NickG
    Yes, very good. My point was I don’t know him, and was asking if it was the same chap. Given they apparently both do springer tuning, I didn’t see it as as daft a question as you did.

My bad then. ;-)
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Thanks all.
    There are quite afew guys who can machine one for you. The 98 piston arrangement is the same as 95 and there are quite a lot of modified 95s about.
    Gibney, Leach and the likes should be your first port of call.

A.G

Yes, very good. My point was I don’t know him, and was asking if it was the same chap. Given they apparently both do springer tuning, I didn’t see it as as daft a question as you did.

My bad then. ;-)
    "Tinbum Nick" doesn't do rods, whereas, as mentioned, I'm pretty sure NickG (Gibney) will.

The main thing is to have utter confidence in the quality and integrity of the material and its treatment, as you certainly wouldn't want a latch rod letting go. A visitor at one of the Boinger Bashes once told me of a TX that he had had short stroked with a longer rod and the rod had snapped.

I'm pretty sure that Shaun at ISP does rods for the TX and wonder if he'd do them for the HW, as well as NickG?

The V-Glide one as mentioned above would also be most worthy of consideration, killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. But I know Steve Pope had been working less hours of late. Don't know if this is still the case?

Hope this helps a little.

Oh, and get yourself to a Boinger Bash if you possibly can. Lots of friendly springer enthusiasts to meet and talk to. And lots of tuned rifles to see and try. And, once you have met the two Nicks in the flesh, you certainly won't be getting them mixed up again!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The main thing is to have utter confidence in the quality and integrity of the material and its treatment, as you certainly wouldn't want a latch rod letting go. A visitor at one of the Boinger Bashes once told me of a TX that he had had short stroked with a longer rod and the rod had snapped.

Oh, and get yourself to a Boinger Bash if you possibly can. Lots of friendly springer enthusiasts to meet and talk to. And lots of tuned rifles to see and try. And, once you have met the two Nicks in the flesh, you certainly won't be getting them mixed up again!

I'm the handsome one!

A long rod failing in a break barrel will just result in a bit of potential damage and a change of underwear. It's the Tx's and 77/97's of this world that would see you lose a thumb if it went wrong.
    Try it, it'll improve the shot cycle
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I'm the handsome one!

A long rod failing in a break barrel will just result in a bit of potential damage and a change of underwear. It's the Tx's and 77/97's of this world that would see you lose a thumb if it went wrong.
    Try it, it'll improve the shot cycle
    The handsome one? Yes, that's what I said, wasn't it?

Not trying to persuade the OP from trying a longer rod, Nick. As you say, it may well improve the shot cycle. And, unlike the front extensions, retain lots of spring room (which some may prefer) and not have that little bit of "dead" movement when first opening the barrel. Not that that's an issue. Doing the rod is, obviously, more involved and more expense entailed. But, as we once mentioned at The Bash, there have been some suspect rods peddled by some tuners. And, although not as potentially catastrophic as in a sliding comp cylinder design on your digits, if a rod let go on a break barrel when the user was least expecting it and safe handling wasn't being practised, it cold still be messy, expensive and potentially painful.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The handsome one? Yes, that's what I said, wasn't it?

Not trying to persuade the OP from trying a longer rod, Nick. As you say, it may well improve the shot cycle. And, unlike the front extensions, retain lots of spring room (which some may prefer) and not have that little bit of "dead" movement when first opening the barrel. Not that that's an issue. Doing the rod is, obviously, more involved and more expense entailed. But, as we once mentioned at The Bash, there have been some suspect rods peddled by some tuners. And, although not as potentially catastrophic as in a sliding comp cylinder design on your digits, if a rod let go on a break barrel when the user was least expecting it and safe handling wasn't being practised, it cold still be messy, expensive and potentially painful.
    Yes, but there are advantages too. As for us, we simply can't do them! At nearing 500 units a month we send parts to people at every point of the ability spectrum. I have no doubt that our fine members would be perfectly capable of fitting one, but this is not the case with every customer. "Idiot proof" is a term I have learned to respect.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

If you're holding that cocking arm, as we all do, there will be no mutilations with the under levers. The problem would be if it broke just as you went to put the lever back to the detent, or, if it shot when pointed in an un-safe direction. I have a death grip on loading, but not so on the return trip to the detent. Probably break a finger, but that'll grow back.