Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leupold scope on a HW95K

I used a steel rule mounted horizontally in a vice to turn the lens carrier. No chance of it slipping and scratching or indeed burring the slots in the carrier.

I also used a small boa but also 3m paper medical tape over the objective ring to provide extra grip and protection.

This job is like changing plugs on a Subaru Flat 4 - it can be done even though you don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Morton54 View Post
    This is really a good forum with a lot of active members and knowhow

Rickenbacker, did you just slowly increase the force until it came loose or did you do anything else that I should know of? I just try to gather all info there is on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    I used a steel rule mounted horizontally in a vice to turn the lens carrier. No chance of it slipping and scratching or indeed burring the slots in the carrier.

I also used a small boa but also 3m paper medical tape over the objective ring to provide extra grip and protection.

This job is like changing plugs on a Subaru Flat 4 - it can be done even though you don't think so.
    I did similar, although the tool I made up to turn the lens carrier (made out of an old knife blade), had to be ground concave in the middle - to avoid scraping the convex objective lens!

That was a model M8 6X42. Other Leupolds may have the front lens set deeper in the objective bell?

I fixed the above tool in a vice, held the scope tight, and leaned into it with all my weight to avoid the scope slipping against the tool.

It was so tight that there must have been some kind of Loctite used during assembly. Some might say a bit of heat might make the job easier - but there's no way I'd use heat on a scope.

Once the carrier was moved with the tool, it was easy to fine-tune the PX distance turning the carrier by hand thereafter, and fix it in position by screwing on the end cap, hand-tight.

It's not a job I'd want to do again.

Quote Originally Posted by Morton54 View Post
    Ok, I'm beginning to understand what I'm up against. Read somewhere that a guy wrapped several rounds of tape around the objective ring to get a thick grip. That is a good idea too maybe.
    On the other hand I might just leave it. When I get the HW95K, I will just mount the scope and adjust the eyepiece focus correct (using my +1 glasses) and shoot a lot of rounds. Maybe it turns out it's not a problem. Maybe I'm overcomplicating things..
    To answer this earlier question:

In my opinion - at airgun distances - no... there's too much PX shift to leave it at the factory setting.

Of course, once you reduce the PX setting - you no longer get a clear view at longer distances - so you'll forever be adjusting it...

That there is a good reason for an AO scope on an airgun.

Thanks for all your input. It's up to me now.

[QUOTE=Rickenbacker;
    There is a good reason for an AO scope on an airgun. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I see. A thought is beginning to form in the back of my head now.. this is probably the only scope I'm buying for the new HW95. Hmm.. maybe I should throw in additional 190£ and get the Rimfire 3X9,33mm EFR version..

I spoke to Paul Burke about resetting parallax on scopes like this and he suggested that there was more too it than just adjusting the objective, and that the internal lenses also needed adjusting for the perfect parralax (I as Rickenbacker has said have noticed the long distance blur but as you have a small objective this will be reduced) now I'm sure that this is correct as He works with scopes, cleaning, servicing & repairing etc. I personally have been happy enough with the home DIY method but if your really struggling you could spend some of your £190 on sending it to him to do the job
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Who is Paul Burke please?

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    Who is Paul Burke please?
    A chap that does scope repair/servicing.
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Related to this thread.. what happened to the VX-2 Rimfire EFR scope series with objective adjustments (parallax)? I thought this was a very popular scope? Now i can find only rimfire scopes with fixed objectives called Freedom. Anyone have a clue why Leupold did this? Low sales? Too complex resulting in failures after some time?

Another thing, on Leupold homepages if you look at the two Freedom Rimfire versions, it says the length of 3-9X40 is 34,6cm and the 2-7X33 45,3cm?? Sounds strange to me..
    Last edited by Morton54; 01-04-2018 at 09:30 AM.