Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Taylor & Son

As editor of the Facebook JB page I was shown a Theoben compliment slip with a handwritten scrawl from Ben Taylor. It was in a large box that had arrived at the BSA factory soon after the SuperTen was launched. The note read, “I wanted to see what you lot were up to so bought a Soupa Ten and took it to bits. We all had a good laugh but cant be bothered to put it together so thought you might like it back”
    The box and compliment slip were given to John Bowket by the BSA MD after he had taken a copy of the note to remind him of the level of his competitors! JB told me he never understood how the “money man” behind Theoben or Dave, both were nice chaps he said, put up with Ben. Little wonder even El Gamo turned down the opportunity to buy Theoben while they were on the market for years on end.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Rich and I arrived at their Cambridge premises (I was surprised at how small it was) to have their 'tour' of the factory.
    We arrived in the reception area and could see Ben and Dave through the window. Ben turned to look through the window and could not hit hide the irritation in his face that there were 5 or 6 eager visitors in the foyer waiting to be entertained and informed by the airgun maestros that they had read so much about in the magazines. The magazines gave you the impression that they were good company and very interesting to talk with...

It very soon became apparent that the Ben we walked around with was impatient, irritated by questions and generally couldn't wait to see the back of you, but only once you'd finished cooing and drooling over the array of toys at your fingertips.
    I have no experience of the chaps mentioned in this thread. In fact, I don't think I was into air rifles while they were around but, some of these experiences are quite saddening and, I'm pleased to say, I've only experienced decent blokes and top class customer service in the few short years that I've been back to shooting.

A while ago, I wanted some Rowan parts for my TX so, I took a morning off and drove over to see them.
    When I got there, it turned out that they were in the middle of a factory move so, it was probably a real PITA time for someone to turn up unannounced. Despite this, I was given a full factory tour and shown everything from the raw materials to the CNC machines working away and, the finishing of the end products.
    They were happy to chat and answer questions. They took the time to make sure that I was happy with the parts supplied and, that I was confident in fitting them. They even threw in some stainless stock bolts FOC.
    We even had a good natter about Robot Wars.

Nick has been patient and generous when I've been a ham fisted twat and broken his piston extensions.

BSA gave me a rifle for a charity raffle at work.

I always found Tony Belas helpful and happy to chat (by email) while he was at Daystate.

There are more instances that I can recall but, working in retail and, dealing with customers, suppliers and management, so far I've found the airgun community to be pretty unique - in a good way.

All of the above.

Very sad to read this. I did a lot of business with Ben and had nothing but positive experiences with him and his work. I could listen to him for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    As editor of the Facebook JB page I was shown a Theoben compliment slip with a handwritten scrawl from Ben Taylor. It was in a large box that had arrived at the BSA factory soon after the SuperTen was launched. The note read, “I wanted to see what you lot were up to so bought a Soupa Ten and took it to bits. We all had a good laugh but cant be bothered to put it together so thought you might like it back
    I too was told about this, to be honest I was flabaghasted when I was told, even at that time there were rumours about Theoben's customer service and a friend who bought a FAC Rapid had to take it back several time due to varios faults, in the end he got his moeny back
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    A while ago, I wanted some Rowan parts for my TX so, I took a morning off and drove over to see them.
    When I got there, it turned out that they were in the middle of a factory move so, it was probably a real PITA time for someone to turn up unannounced. Despite this, I was given a full factory tour and shown everything from the raw materials to the CNC machines working away and, the finishing of the end products.
    They were happy to chat and answer questions. They took the time to make sure that I was happy with the parts supplied and, that I was confident in fitting them. They even threw in some stainless stock bolts FOC.
    The visit we had to their Cambridge property was their shop and range.
    I would have thought that Ben might've welcomed a chance to sell a bunch of their kit...
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I have no experience of the chaps mentioned in this thread. In fact, I don't think I was into air rifles while they were around but, some of these experiences are quite saddening and, I'm pleased to say, I've only experienced decent blokes and top class customer service in the few short years that I've been back to shooting.

We even had a good natter about Robot Wars.

Nick has been patient and generous when I've been a ham fisted twat and broken his piston extensions.

BSA gave me a rifle for a charity raffle at work.

I always found Tony Belas helpful and happy to chat (by email) while he was at Daystate.

There are more instances that I can recall but, working in retail and, dealing with customers, suppliers and management, so far I've found the airgun community to be pretty unique - in a good way.
    I too have had a great experiences with all you mention above, I can also add Huggett Precision products and Best Fittings to the excellent knowledge and service list.
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

Gentlemen

Now would be a good time to draw the curtains on this thread, I believe.

Ben Taylor retired many years ago.

He had wanted to retire earlier, told everyone of his intentions and finally did so.

In his time he was VERY much at the forefront of Airgun innovation..

(But, like I say, he is retired from that now ).

That only suits Ben. Not his historic customers.

No thank you.

And given he’s no longer trading, this discussion can not influence any business he is doing.
    Nothing I have said is less than 100% true and accurate.
    There is no harm is speaking the truth, in a fair and level way.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Oops, I seem to have opened a can of worms here!
    Can't say I'm surprised though. Retiring without some sort of support for all those BT modified rifles out there is pretty shabby. He couldn't even be bothered to remove his webpage!
    On a brighter note, it's good to see threads supporting the good guys.
    My efforts to return my cyclone to its former glory have involved A-S-I for the replacement FX parts and Robert Lane, both have been extremely helpful and presented very good value.

Quote Originally Posted by lionel View Post
    Very sad to read this. I did a lot of business with Ben and had nothing but positive experiences with him and his work. I could listen to him for hours.
    I have the same experiences as lionel, Ben had serviced my Imperator FTs for me and visiting his shop was always a pleasure. I had a problem with one of my Imperators around 2 years ago, emailed him and he informed me that he's no longer working on guns, which is fair enough I think, everyone is allowed to retire...

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Well I'm currently on the receiving end of the BTAS dream.
    My hw to fx adaptor is leaking and it looks as though the aluminium has "welded" itself together so I am completely screwed as nowhere makes them anymore
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Well I'm currently on the receiving end of the BTAS dream.
    My hw to fx adaptor is leaking and it looks as though the aluminium has "welded" itself together so I am completely screwed as nowhere makes them anymore
    am sure if you go over to the R7OC there will be someone that can make you a replacement Nick and Pete on there are very talented chaps and can make practically anything.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Hi Guy,

Unfortunately I am banned by virtue of being one of the admin of the other Theoben site.

Its all turning into a bit of a nightmare really. The longer it takes to sort, the longer I hold onto the TTR
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Lots of comments and experiences on this thread. There are several points thast emerge.
    Firstly, engineers seldom make good business people. There again neither do accountants.
    Secondly- and something we can all agree on- the woman at Theoben (the person I christened the Daystate Sales Manager)should never have been employed to pick up the phone or anything else for that matter. She was truly appalling and Ben and Dave must take the blame for not sacking her at the end of her first week. If they wanted a 'gatekeeper' to shield them from idiot callers they should've employed someone competent to do the sorting. Whenever I had cause to ring Theoben I always asked for the other lady by name and she always gave me top notch service.
    Thirdly, covering the period of BTAS, it is unfortunate that any warranties given in that incarnation cannot be exercised or enforced. However although the odd item got through the bulk of the work done there was of a high standard and the guns involved are still working fine. After all, air rifles even precharged air rifles, are not all that complicated and most issues can be solved by other people. This is not an excuse but a recognition that people retire and businesses go bust or cease to trade.
    Fourthly, covering the period when Ben worked at Milbro, people on here should be aware that Ben certainly had important family issues to deal with and it is fair to say that his mind was elsewhere some of the time. Again not an excuse but a reason. The Metisse is a case in point. I recall the advertising blurb saying it could operate as a PCP and a CO2 powered gun when it should've been stated that it could be set up EITHER as a PCP OR to run on CO2. To anyone disappointed that you couldn't just switch your power source I ask-why on Earth should you want to operate a quality air rifle with CO2? It beggars belief and yet I recall quite a few comments regarding this as selling the gun under 'false pretences'. Perhaps it was but who cares? Surely no one spending a grand on an air rifle was expecting to run it on CO2 bulbs? Perhaps some were but I've yet to meet one. Anyway the Metisse was a commercial failure so anyone owning one is in line to make a good profit from a scarce item.
    Ben was a gifted engineer who had faults. At least he left us something really good to remember him by. The Rapid was and remains a superb air rifle capable of giving many years of great service. For that we should thank him.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Good engineers don't always make the best businessmen. TBF most engineers need a good 'front of house' partner to keep them in the real world.
    So they chose a lady who was called frosty knickers by the shooting community. I have never considered Mr Taylor to be an exceptional engineer. I think he had an exceptional line in bull poop.... and an ability to really piss off his customers whom paid for his retirement. He engineered an agricultural concept air rifle and milked it dry.

I am.....I would add.....a former rapid owner and its a rifle I like. But the company and the people behind it would never get my cash and I bought my rapid 2nd hand.

Its a damned good gun. Partly due to the simplenagricultural nature of its engineering and its ability to be worked on outside of the factory thereby circumnavigating an exceptional standard of indifference and basic contempt for those who paid the rent and the wages.

There is better kit but the Rapid series is a bench mark rifle. The people behind it....as far as I was concerned ... didnt give a shit
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill