Thread: Extra set back triggers

Extra set back triggers

Thinking of putting a brass set back trigger on my Hw80. Apart from adding a bit of bling what’s benafit of set back triggers

Better feel & control on long raked pistol grips.

Quote Originally Posted by RebornAirgunner View Post
    Thinking of putting a brass set back trigger on my Hw80. Apart from adding a bit of bling what’s benafit of set back triggers
    As above answer but there are set back and extra set back in the Rowan series, for example.

They can make a useful difference to fit and feel.

But if you get one set too far back, or unnecessary in the first place, they can spoil the handling.

I found extra set back worked well on an old HW35, whilst it ruined HW97KT synthetic, so I took it off.

Set back works well on 97KT in CS700 stock. My old HW80 doesn't need any set back at all.

I've got average sized hands.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Roundshot View Post
    As above answer but there are set back and extra set back in the Rowan series, for example.

They can make a useful difference to fit and feel.

But if you get one set too far back, or unnecessary in the first place, they can spoil the handling.

I found extra set back worked well on an old HW35, whilst it ruined HW97KT synthetic, so I took it off.

Set back works well on 97KT in CS700 stock. My old HW80 doesn't need any set back at all.

I've got average sized hands.
    Well I have smallish hands and small stumpy fingers, well that’s what she tells me anyway

I thought they were only needed to fit the person to the gun 'cos they're made one size fits all. Some misfits would even need a set forward blade.
    A shoe is a quick fix for them I'm guessing. It's possible to get a gun made to measure of course and save all the hassle
    Dim but willing.

I recently fitted one to my 77 because it felt like I was reaching too far with my finger.
    After fitting a Rowan extra set back trigger my finger just falls to the perfect position (for me)

My shots are smoother because my finger is in a more comfortable position and less stressed when trying to pull backward
    I don't even think about my trigger finger now.

My shooting is still pretty crap, but at least Im far more comfortable while Im shooting crap

I have just fitted one to my HW95 (last week) Extra set back. Was not as simple as implied in the instructions. Sear engagement had to be adjusted to the point where I am not able to adjust the trigger weight screw to lighten it ( It is currently set flush with the housing) as little as 1/4 turn lighter and the sear will not release, as the trigger doesn't go back far enough before fouling the adjuster screw. I am currently running with a heavier pull weight, but am considering chopping half a coil off the trigger weight spring to compensate. It does however drastically improve the reach to trigger on the Weihrauch stock for the better . I would think if I ordered the standard set back trigger the adjustment would not be a problem.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    I have just fitted one to my HW95 (last week) Extra set back. Was not as simple as implied in the instructions. Sear engagement had to be adjusted to the point where I am not able to adjust the trigger weight screw to lighten it ( It is currently set flush with the housing) as little as 1/4 turn lighter and the sear will not release, as the trigger doesn't go back far enough before fouling the adjuster screw....

I thought you got a new adjuster screw with the extra set back trigger?
    Good deals with these members

I fitted a Rowan Extra Setback blade to a 77 in a CS800 stock and I think it's a bit too far back. As part of the trigger mod, moving the pivot point did help slightly but I think it's still sitting a touch too far back. Perhaps a regular Setback blade would have been more suitable but I'm fairly used to it now so won't bother changing it back. I think in a normal stock it might feel more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I thought you got a new adjuster screw with the extra set back trigger?
    You do. It fouls on the shorter one supplied unless fully screwed in, which is a quite a bit heavier than I would like.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    You do. It fouls on the shorter one supplied unless fully screwed in, which is a quite a bit heavier than I would like.

John
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Will think twice about one for my 95k then.
    Good deals with these members

eyebull,

It all depends on the size of your hand and the length of your fingers.

On both my HW95 SuperMatch & HW99S, the best I could do with the standard trigger, is to just touch the side of the trigger blade with my trigger finger when in shooting position.

With the Rowan Extra Set Back trigger, I can get my trigger finger placed on the blade properly.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I have just fitted one to my HW95 (last week) Extra set back. Was not as simple as implied in the instructions. Sear engagement had to be adjusted to the point where I am not able to adjust the trigger weight screw to lighten it ( It is currently set flush with the housing) as little as 1/4 turn lighter and the sear will not release, as the trigger doesn't go back far enough before fouling the adjuster screw. I am currently running with a heavier pull weight, but am considering chopping half a coil off the trigger weight spring to compensate. It does however drastically improve the reach to trigger on the Weihrauch stock for the better . I would think if I ordered the standard set back trigger the adjustment would not be a problem.

John
    i have a terrible time with rowan extra set back triggers. i dont know why. i got it perfect but i really dont know how.