Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Paradigm Demand?

Webley Paradigm Demand?

Thought I'd look at webleys Facebook page, out of curiosity more than anything......I came across a picture of a bloke holding a webley Paradigm, and this underneath.

Do we look at reviving the Webley Paradigm???
    This project was shelved due to the costings, however is there a demand for it?
    Tell us what you think and what price would you pay for one if made in the UK?

It would have to be easier to cock and lighter than the Air Logic Genesis and the Titan Mohawk to be a success in the market. I thought the Chinese had a go at it and gave up ? If they could come up with a workable design £450-500 ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Well, it seems to me that Webley sullied its reputation by closing down the Birmingham plant and manufacturing in Turkey. To revive the brand, it would need to do some seriously good PR and manufacture in Birmingham (or elsewhere in the UK) again - and that does not merely mean creating an assembly workshop for parts made overseas. It would be most pleasing to see the brand return to the UK again and not merely in part.

As above. I would be interested if it was revived. I shot the one at the Shooting Show when it was in Newark (I think it was the last time there...) with the inventor demonstrating it. Yes, cocking was a knack but I did develop the knack after a few shots and really enjoyed it.
    Cheers, Phil

This thread is a touch old now but I've happened upon it during my wanders through the web.

There would definitely be a demand for the paradigm in todays market, would it overtake spring or PCP? Absolutely not. But the market is crying out for something different, and a modern SSP would fit the bill perfect!! (And find its way into a fair few peoples gun racks I bet )
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    This thread is a touch old now but I've happened upon it during my wanders through the web.

There would definitely be a demand for the paradigm in todays market, would it overtake spring or PCP? Absolutely not. But the market is crying out for something different, and a modern SSP would fit the bill perfect!! (And find its way into a fair few peoples gun racks I bet )
    Yes there would be a demand for it but a very small demand making it NOT commercially viable. An SSP is a very niche market.
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

As above, again, but I guess it depends on what you want?
    SSP rifles are with us (think the 6ft lb rifles) but not really in the 12 ftlb league apart from a few examples. Do you want to get away from a PCP i.e. recoil free with its own power source not reliant on bottles etc? Would there be a market for a resurrected Park or Whiscombe? They would satisfy the recoil free criterion. And are self contained.
    I often wonder what the limitations are that mean a 12ft lb SSP is so difficult to produce.... ant physicists care to explain. The PH Dragon is not too bad after all.
    Is there not a sort of PCP / SSP combination out there that has a precharged cylinder that just needs a single stroke top up after each full power shot ... or am I getting a tad confused.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    As above, again, but I guess it depends on what you want?
    SSP rifles are with us (think the 6ft lb rifles) but not really in the 12 ftlb league apart from a few examples. Do you want to get away from a PCP i.e. recoil free with its own power source not reliant on bottles etc? Would there be a market for a resurrected Park or Whiscombe? They would satisfy the recoil free criterion. And are self contained.
    I often wonder what the limitations are that mean a 12ft lb SSP is so difficult to produce.... ant physicists care to explain. The PH Dragon is not too bad after all.
    Is there not a sort of PCP / SSP combination out there that has a precharged cylinder that just needs a single stroke top up after each full power shot ... or am I getting a tad confused.
    Cheers, Phil
    Some good points in there Phil, I think for those wanting recoil free without a bottle, myself included, there would be a market for the recoilless springers (judging by how much whiscombes trade hands for!).

I too share your thoughts about what it is that’s so difficult to produce about a full power SSP. The dragon is a lovely gun, and the Mohawk has a fairly simple design. Why couldn’t the best bits of each be combined with modern material and manufacturing technology?

And the FX independence is the gun I think you are thinking of

Tom.

I like the idea of an ssp, but would it really be any better than a well set up springer? I’ve got a nice FWB 127, and in more modern fare an SFS Snipe, and honestly, the difference in accuracy between them and a PCP is down to me not the gun I think

Obviously I’m not talking about 10 m target shooting here

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post

And the FX independence is the gun I think you are thinking of

Tom.
    Yes .. the name FX came to mind when I posted but is there another model somewhere? Maybe my memory is playing up but I thought there was another version somewhere; maybe an American rifle? Or maybe it was an American report on the FX that I read. Anyway, it does have its merits even though it seems a tad complex; but then maybe only as complex as a straightforward SSP.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Yes .. the name FX came to mind when I posted but is there another model somewhere? Maybe my memory is playing up but I thought there was another version somewhere; maybe an American rifle? Or maybe it was an American report on the FX that I read. Anyway, it does have its merits even though it seems a tad complex; but then maybe only as complex as a straightforward SSP.
    Cheers, Phil
    Yes now you mention it you’re right, the Nova Freedom, a yank take on the Independence/Indy action.
    They do have their merits, I’m still getting used to my independence but the ability to take a follow up shot without charging, then topping up with 2 more pumps could probably swing it in the field for a lot of buyers.

They would be harder to manufacture than a straight SSP, due to needing an air reservoir and an extra valve set up to a SSP, but would the pay off be better £££’s for the manufacturers?

Atb, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I like the idea of an ssp, but would it really be any better than a well set up springer? I’ve got a nice FWB 127, and in more modern fare an SFS Snipe, and honestly, the difference in accuracy between them and a PCP is down to me not the gun I think
    I chased the idea of the “perfect springer” for a while before I fell in with the big SSP rifles. The question of better is a tricky one as one persons better isn’t another’s. I personally prefer the design and engineering of the old SSP rifles, but there will be someone out there who likes spring or PCP just as much. I guess I’m trying to say that it would be nice to see some more diversity on the market.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, would be boring if we were all the same

The other way to tackle it is to use lower pressures so that complicated lever/pump systems are not required. From the Facebook JB Fanpage.
    https://www.facebook.com/17835238887...type=3&theater
    Last edited by greenwayjames; 15-05-2019 at 09:50 AM.

An interesting discussion. I am still not sure why a 12 foot pound SSP is very difficult to achieve. There is something about the physics that I do not understand. Bear in mind that an SSP would have to sell in large quantities to make it affordable and not just a small scale expensive project. Nova Vista Freedom is made in the Far East not the USA but please correct me if I am mistaken.

Gaffa tape a hills pump into a AA410 classic.

That's always going to be the baseline for SSP.......

Commercially never going to sell enough to be viable.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930