Thread: Webley Paradigm Demand?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As above. I would be interested if it was revived. I shot the one at the Shooting Show when it was in Newark (I think it was the last time there...) with the inventor demonstrating it. Yes, cocking was a knack but I did develop the knack after a few shots and really enjoyed it.
    Cheers, Phil

This thread is a touch old now but I've happened upon it during my wanders through the web.

There would definitely be a demand for the paradigm in todays market, would it overtake spring or PCP? Absolutely not. But the market is crying out for something different, and a modern SSP would fit the bill perfect!! (And find its way into a fair few peoples gun racks I bet )
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    This thread is a touch old now but I've happened upon it during my wanders through the web.

There would definitely be a demand for the paradigm in todays market, would it overtake spring or PCP? Absolutely not. But the market is crying out for something different, and a modern SSP would fit the bill perfect!! (And find its way into a fair few peoples gun racks I bet )
    Yes there would be a demand for it but a very small demand making it NOT commercially viable. An SSP is a very niche market.
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

As above, again, but I guess it depends on what you want?
    SSP rifles are with us (think the 6ft lb rifles) but not really in the 12 ftlb league apart from a few examples. Do you want to get away from a PCP i.e. recoil free with its own power source not reliant on bottles etc? Would there be a market for a resurrected Park or Whiscombe? They would satisfy the recoil free criterion. And are self contained.
    I often wonder what the limitations are that mean a 12ft lb SSP is so difficult to produce.... ant physicists care to explain. The PH Dragon is not too bad after all.
    Is there not a sort of PCP / SSP combination out there that has a precharged cylinder that just needs a single stroke top up after each full power shot ... or am I getting a tad confused.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    As above, again, but I guess it depends on what you want?
    SSP rifles are with us (think the 6ft lb rifles) but not really in the 12 ftlb league apart from a few examples. Do you want to get away from a PCP i.e. recoil free with its own power source not reliant on bottles etc? Would there be a market for a resurrected Park or Whiscombe? They would satisfy the recoil free criterion. And are self contained.
    I often wonder what the limitations are that mean a 12ft lb SSP is so difficult to produce.... ant physicists care to explain. The PH Dragon is not too bad after all.
    Is there not a sort of PCP / SSP combination out there that has a precharged cylinder that just needs a single stroke top up after each full power shot ... or am I getting a tad confused.
    Cheers, Phil
    Some good points in there Phil, I think for those wanting recoil free without a bottle, myself included, there would be a market for the recoilless springers (judging by how much whiscombes trade hands for!).

I too share your thoughts about what it is that’s so difficult to produce about a full power SSP. The dragon is a lovely gun, and the Mohawk has a fairly simple design. Why couldn’t the best bits of each be combined with modern material and manufacturing technology?

And the FX independence is the gun I think you are thinking of

Tom.

I like the idea of an ssp, but would it really be any better than a well set up springer? I’ve got a nice FWB 127, and in more modern fare an SFS Snipe, and honestly, the difference in accuracy between them and a PCP is down to me not the gun I think

Obviously I’m not talking about 10 m target shooting here

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I like the idea of an ssp, but would it really be any better than a well set up springer? I’ve got a nice FWB 127, and in more modern fare an SFS Snipe, and honestly, the difference in accuracy between them and a PCP is down to me not the gun I think
    I chased the idea of the “perfect springer” for a while before I fell in with the big SSP rifles. The question of better is a tricky one as one persons better isn’t another’s. I personally prefer the design and engineering of the old SSP rifles, but there will be someone out there who likes spring or PCP just as much. I guess I’m trying to say that it would be nice to see some more diversity on the market.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, would be boring if we were all the same

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post

And the FX independence is the gun I think you are thinking of

Tom.
    Yes .. the name FX came to mind when I posted but is there another model somewhere? Maybe my memory is playing up but I thought there was another version somewhere; maybe an American rifle? Or maybe it was an American report on the FX that I read. Anyway, it does have its merits even though it seems a tad complex; but then maybe only as complex as a straightforward SSP.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Yes .. the name FX came to mind when I posted but is there another model somewhere? Maybe my memory is playing up but I thought there was another version somewhere; maybe an American rifle? Or maybe it was an American report on the FX that I read. Anyway, it does have its merits even though it seems a tad complex; but then maybe only as complex as a straightforward SSP.
    Cheers, Phil
    Yes now you mention it you’re right, the Nova Freedom, a yank take on the Independence/Indy action.
    They do have their merits, I’m still getting used to my independence but the ability to take a follow up shot without charging, then topping up with 2 more pumps could probably swing it in the field for a lot of buyers.

They would be harder to manufacture than a straight SSP, due to needing an air reservoir and an extra valve set up to a SSP, but would the pay off be better £££’s for the manufacturers?

Atb, Tom