Thread: Barrel flip slo-mo pellet test

Barrel flip slo-mo pellet test

My HW97kt with the Tony Burton Vortek treatment.
    Butt off the floor, balanced on it’s Hamster on a bean bag for maximum movement.
    Most of the vertical movement seems to be after the shot cycle.

https://youtu.be/LA_2CYhPKM8

An extra 100g on the front would probably reduce the flip to nothing but I think that’s not too shabby as it is.

What do we think?

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 22-03-2018 at 03:39 PM.

I'd not go for extra weight, because you then induce additional barrel flex. You may not notice it -indeed it is very small -but it exists. A fatter barrel would be a better way to go, obviously a lot more complicated. In any case the law of diminishing returns rapidly sets in. I did experiment with a very substantial barrel weight on a Diana 52 and there was no benefit whatsoever.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    I'd not go for extra weight, because you then induce additional barrel flex. You may not notice it -indeed it is very small -but it exists. A fatter barrel would be a better way to go, obviously a lot more complicated. In any case the law of diminishing returns rapidly sets in. I did experiment with a very substantial barrel weight on a Diana 52 and there was no benefit whatsoever.
    I’m pretty happy with it as it is to be honest, it’s a heavy stable rifle and as I said most of the movement is after the shot.
    We did manage to significantly reduce muzzle flip on the missus’s HW95k however, by fitting a Parker Hale clamp-on steel moderator instead of the Ally HW one.
    100g extra albeit set further back on the barrel basically eliminated flip, makes more of a difference on a lightweight hold sensitive rifle like that. did a slo-mo before and after if that one:

https://youtu.be/_U1yadFTEro