Thread: Storage

Storage

Hi fellas, currently looking into opening a sporting goods store, asked the local firearms officer and he gave me a list of things to complete, one I’m a bit stuck on, they ask where u will store the air rifles and pistols in the shop, my plan was to build a reinforced structure inside the back of the shop, brick walls, metal renfoced and have a large metal security door in place, so entry is hard to gain? Would this pass as acceptable? Or am I being a bit over the top?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatWilson View Post
    Hi fellas, currently looking into opening a sporting goods store, asked the local firearms officer and he gave me a list of things to complete, one I’m a bit stuck on, they ask where u will store the air rifles and pistols in the shop, my plan was to build a reinforced structure inside the back of the shop, brick walls, metal renfoced and have a large metal security door in place, so entry is hard to gain? Would this pass as acceptable? Or am I being a bit over the top?
    My gut feel is that what you are proposing it OTT. It would be something of a PITA to move the stock in and out of the store every day, not to mention the potential for damaging it. Many airgun stores have display cabinets in the customer area of the shop with trigger guard chains or cabinet alarms (even shotgun and S1 shops).

It doesn't really matter what anyone on here thinks, the FEO is the one to make the decision and I would strongly suggest that you consult with him - they are usually helpful and pragmatic and he will have a good feel for the risks specific to your particular situation.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Read the firearms security handbook it's all in there.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

That's what we built in my friends shop, except we made it a gunroom by putting a grill door behind the solid door so when the shop was open people could see in.
    Meant if you were in on your own you could control access and not worry about keeping an eye on the gun racks.

It is ultimately up to the FEO concerned, he may well have consultations with the Crime Prevention Officer to assess the required security so I suggest asking your FEO to pop round for a chat. He/she may well bring the crime prevention officer along so they can advise what locks, hinges, construction of doors, frames, walls, floors, ceilings, window grilles etc they deem necessary. Consult the fireams security recommendations, make your own list as you see it applying to your situation then call the FEO and CPO in for a chat before making any alterations to the fabric of the building as mistakes may be expensive to rectify!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatWilson View Post
    Presumably you will need a secure gun rack with a chain/cable through the triggers for the display items and also a "strong room" out back for stock.