Thread: webley exorcet piston seal size?

webley exorcet piston seal size?

Hi I think mine is a turkish built gun though I couldn't see any difference when put side by side with a brum built one except birmingham stamped on the brum one.
    it says Webley & scott TR HT 070710327 on the side .
    Do they all have 27.6mm piston seals ? mine has a nasty nick in it I measured it and it came in at more like 27.1 but that could be my measurement skills it also has a purple one in at the moment .
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

The original Xocet had a 27mm cylinder. The purple factory seals usually measured about 27.25mm. I've bought an aftermarket seal which measured 27.6mm and was a bit of a sod to get in at that size. The nicks on the seals are damage from being fitted carelessly.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    The original Xocet had a 27mm cylinder. The purple factory seals usually measured about 27.25mm. I've bought an aftermarket seal which measured 27.6mm and was a bit of a sod to get in at that size. The nicks on the seals are damage from being fitted carelessly.

Cheers
    Greg
    So I was right to be suspicious thanks for the reply .

So I could have a early Exocet size cylinder made in turkey.

I put the nicked seal back in and sparingly lubed things using bumslide on the piston and not much moly on the spring, it has a good piston liner.

It deisled for the first 20 shots and started to calm down but then by 30ish shoots decided to not cock .

I have bought an aussie red seal in 25mm before and it took about 30 minutes to resize it I didn't measure it before i started but it wasn't 25mm.
    Its putting me off getting one for the exorcet even though that's the cheapest option.

I fitted an orange seal from knibbs to my vulcan and it was very good fit and I am impressed with it .
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    So I was right to be suspicious thanks for the reply .

So I could have a early Exocet size cylinder made in turkey.

I put the nicked seal back in and sparingly lubed things using bumslide on the piston and not much moly on the spring, it has a good piston liner.

It deisled for the first 20 shots and started to calm down but then by 30ish shoots decided to not cock .

I have bought an aussie red seal in 25mm before and it took about 30 minutes to resize it I didn't measure it before i started but it wasn't 25mm.
    Its putting me off getting one for the exorcet even though that's the cheapest option.

I fitted an orange seal from knibbs to my vulcan and it was very good fit and I am impressed with it .
    If your new seal is 27.6mm then your cylinder will be 27mm, same as the Brum Xocet. The seal has to be oversize to act as a seal. Over time it'll bed in and when it comes out will measure smaller than it originally did.

I got one of the seals from Australia. I found that I had to reduce the diameter a bit because the stiction between the seal and cylinder was way too severe.

Never tried a Knibbs piston seal before.

Cheers
    Greg

most of my piston seal experiance is hw they just come in the right size to start with .
    That was my impression off the orange knibbs seal just felt right straight away, though its very soft seal the Vulcan is very nice top shoot with that seal.