Thread: Filling a 3L Air Cylinder

Filling a 3L Air Cylinder

Just weighing up the realistic benefits of a portable 3L for away days. It does not seem to be a very practical option if it has to be regularly sent away for top ups

Or do people routinely and safely fill/top up an in date cylinder from a larger compatible cylinder using appropriate connections (in a similar way that some top up a buddy bottle)? Or is this a definite no-no on safety/regulatory grounds Just asking.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    No problems at all doing it that way.
    Master Debater

Depends on how much you shoot. you can get 7l better then 3l has twice as much and still small enough

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    No problems at all doing it that way.
    Thanks for the response; I'm warming to the idea of a 3L

I use a 3l for away, and have a 12l as a 'home' fill I don't bother to top up the 3l from the 12l, both are 300 bar - the 3l usually lasts for about 6 months (2 guns to 220 bar fill), but then, my local dive shop is about 4 miles from home, so no worries of long trips to top it up.

I've got a 4l bottle, never topped it up!! Bought it with about 170 bar in it & its really low now, I'm considering selling it as I always use the pump, I've never bothered to find a shop that fills them.
    I'm thinking of buying a buddy bottle day tripper for use with my huntsman, as the huntsman has such a small cylinder & only pumps up to 190bar a day tripper would fill it 4x I recon and then I can pump it up at home when I have the time & (dry) space to do it at my leisure.
    Plus itl be easier to cart around... Could even get two & a pump.
    I suppose the same idea would work with a 15l bottle in your garage & a day tripper or a 1l bottle....

Hope this helps
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Good idea Rhys, I forgot about the Day Tripper bottle from Best Fittings; worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Good idea Rhys, I forgot about the Day Tripper bottle from Best Fittings; worth considering.
    I guess it depends on what rifle you have.. it's probably not worth it for these Mega bottle guns or the guns that fill to 230bar as a Day tripper can only fill to 250bar, but as I say, small tank, low pressure (comparatively) & I reckon your on a winner. Given that I get 50 odd shots from my daystate, with a Day tripper I'd get 250 at least and after the tripper had dropped to 190 bar I could teather it to the gun if I was shooting on the bench.
    I've pumped up a few 200cc bottles now with the pump and yes it is hard work probably takes 3 10-15min sessions which if you don't need it full immediately, isn't that much of a problem. And again if you have a 15l or even a compressor in the garage I reckon your laughing
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    I use a 3l for away, and have a 12l as a 'home' fill I don't bother to top up the 3l from the 12l, both are 300 bar - the 3l usually lasts for about 6 months (2 guns to 220 bar fill), but then, my local dive shop is about 4 miles from home, so no worries of long trips to top it up.
    Diveline ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Just weighing up the realistic benefits of a portable 3L for away days. It does not seem to be a very practical option if it has to be regularly sent away for top ups

Or do people routinely and safely fill/top up an in date cylinder from a larger compatible cylinder using appropriate connections (in a similar way that some top up a buddy bottle)? Or is this a definite no-no on safety/regulatory grounds Just asking.
    The best situation for you will depend on the cost of refilling particularly as you refer to the cyl being "sent away" and the amount of away days you shoot.

It's perfectly safe to decant cyl to cyl but of course the pressures will only ever equalise between the two, same as filling a rifle /buddy bottle.