Thread: Rutton Airstar 200

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.

Rutton Airstar 200

I know where there is one of these oddball electronic cocking air rifles. Can anyone tell me are they collectible and what would be a price quide, it's a .177
    God has a hard on for green rifles

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I thought it was a browning. Dave has one, maybe he can advise on price.. weird thing, but defo collectable.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    An acquired taste. They were an absolute flop so not too many about. They're actually quite nice to shoot, but the noise it makes on cocking is atrocious. I love them because they are so bizarre. I've seen a minter for sale for 450, but I howled derisive torrents of laughter in the face of the guy trying it on. Mine was from memory about 250, it had a new battery made up for it so I considered it a fair price.

Rutten was the designer, manufactured by browning. Rutten also designed the winstar, worth a Google. If anyone has one for sale, I'd like one.

Collectable, I'd say so, but with a limited audience.

Usable, practically no, now and again definitely. If you want to have some room at the range or a walk in the countryside without a rabbit to bother you in sight, go for it.

Check the battery condition from a fresh charge you should be getting 20 to 30 shots. If it starts to sound tired after half a dozen factor the cost of having one made up into the price. They're not an off the shelf job.

Let me know if you get it, I reckon stereo airstars would be great.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

They were made by Rutten. In the UK and some other markets they were branded as and marketed by Browning (not made by them - Browning has been a brand name since about 1900).

I'd say £250-350. But an acquired taste with a limited market of buyers. I certainly wouldn't pay that much even for a mint one in box, because I think they are more than a bit silly. But some collectors would. Different strokes for different folks.

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    Thank you kind sirs.
    God has a hard on for green rifles

I bought one just about new in the box last year. It was a lot of fun really. They are very well built, unique, and quite accurate. I put a Williams peep on mind and it was deadly. I can tell you the story on the battery and it’s mostly good news. I had the original battery and it took a charge but was about done, it’s not use it’s just age. But these batteries are easy to get online they are still used in electric model cars. I bought mine for less than $20. I wanted to use the original charger so I bought NiCd battery I matched the capacity of the original. Only weirdness is the clips for the original are reversed from what is sold now. Probably Browning making sure you bought their brand? I used the original clip and spliced. On my second battery I bought a bag of clips parts for $5 and made my own. Your supposed to get 200 shoots, I got far more than that and the charge held for at least a month.

It’s worth it just to take it to a shoot and have everyone look at you like what is that!
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l have one of these and the build quality for me is up there with the best of them. not many made and price wise was about £600 when they made them,that's why they didn't sell many. l think these will become very collectable in the future well l hope so.

Airstar

Sold mine in 2015 to a member on here. I can remember approaching Rutten around 2010 to check for spares and they were readily available then, including batteries and chargers, but that may have changed now. Build quality was excellent and it shot really well. The big let down as Dave correctly points out was the cranking noise when cocking and the clunk at the end of the cocking cycle when it latched up. Really enjoyed it while I had it and definitely a collectable in the future

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Sold mine in 2015 to a member on here. I can remember approaching Rutten around 2010 to check for spares and they were readily available then, including batteries and chargers, but that may have changed now. Build quality was excellent and it shot really well. The big let down as Dave correctly points out was the cranking noise when cocking and the clunk at the end of the cocking cycle when it latched up. Really enjoyed it while I had it and definitely a collectable in the future
    I don't think Rutten still make airguns. A quick search (I am fairly good at both Dutch/Flemish and French) doesn't show me anything up to date suggesting they do, though they may still be in business making other stuff.

The Browning tie-up was an obvious one as Rutten are/were based in Herstal, same as FN who were licensed from before WW1 to market various Browning-designed firearms as Brownings.