Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camo

Military DPM is what I usually wear for general working around the fields & woods, shooting kit is Realtree type.

If your day time clothing is a Watford FC football top slashed jeans and flat soled skate board shoes then I would recommend some camo and boots and a hat especially if you are bald. Camouflage only works in the correct setting when you are perfectly still. I will never understand why carp fishermen need camo especially when fishing at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Waisted View Post
    ... I will never understand why carp fishermen need camo especially when fishing at night.
    Simple. It's so the fish can't see them asleep in their bivi !

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    It's nice, but I'd never wear jacket and trousers together.

I'd wear a jacket with no trousers, or trousers with no jacket.

Also it tones very nicely with the right shade of orange.

Hope this helps.

I presume he means whilst out hunting rather than dogging Rooti, in which latter case your post would indeed be helpful.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Movement and "pale hands and faces" give the game away and noise of course.
    Just wear natural drab coloured outer clothing.

This---^

Decoying pigeons does demand better cammo though, in my experience.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Camo

Quote Originally Posted by Aa410k View Post
    Camo.. I know been asked so many times before.. but not by me
    So camo is it worth it? Do you use it? Are you one for real tree type stuff, army issue or just plain one colour.
    Yes it does, a mate has the jack pyk full leaf suit and can just lie down on a flat field and pop off rabbits. Personally I can't bring myself to wear one. I use German fleck tarn digital cammo it hard wearing and keeps the muck off your normal clothes. A dark drab countryman type coat works if you keep still.
    mk2 rapid.22

I used to wear it when shooting rabbits but then again I was issued it so it's the obvious choice for me. What I would say is field craft is the key.

The military stuff is relatively cheap and good quality and I still use the Goretex when I'm shooting HFT/FT in bad weather.

I used to have a permission on a railway line and crawling on the ballast to get close to the rabbits was a right nause. I ended up wearing my ghilley suit one day, and after getting into a position and waiting a while I had one rabbit pop up next to me (think of Arnold in Predator when it's behind him and he's covered in mud!) The rifle was useless, so I just lay there and watched it for a few minutes, then let it know I was there so we could reset, and I might get another chance! Not long after that I caught a couple of blokes shooting on that permission. They looked very confused when I challenged them, "Have you got permission to be here? Don't answer that cause you don't, and the reason I know that is only I do. Now F off!" Should have seen their faces looking around for the talking bush.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Although this Thread is primarily about Camo clothing, many animals, particularly deer and rabbits have a greater sense of scent and sound than sight.
    Sure, wear suitably dull/camo gear but pay more attention to being dowwind of your quarry or as close to that ideal as possible being aware of wind direction including eddies and variations in that.
    Also be as quiet as possible only moving slowly when necessary, if it comes to clothing, pay attention to any part of it that causes noise, in particular, high pitch sound such as zippers or velcro being used.
    Some types of clothing made from modern materials do produce slight "scuffing noise" when moving in them and this will be picked up by deer, rabbits and other quarry species !
    Generally, Harkila, Seeland, Deerhunter, Rivers West although expensive are excellent but good old ex army DPM is a fine cheap alternative which I still use from time to time.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Waisted View Post
    If your day time clothing is a Watford FC football top slashed jeans and flat soled skate board shoes then I would recommend some camo and boots and a hat especially if you are bald. Camouflage only works in the correct setting when you are perfectly still. I will never understand why carp fishermen need camo especially when fishing at night.
    It all depends on what you quarry is and what it see’s. rabbits can’t see yellow supposedly so they would only see it as a shade of grey or something like a colour blind so Watford F.C. kit might work in some situations 😂

Although this Thread is primarily about Camo clothing....pay more attention to being dowwind of your quarry or as close to that ideal as possible being aware of wind direction including eddies and variations in that....
    Next time you have a BBQ, spoon a bit of charcoal ash into a pouch made from very fine mesh, like the sort used in aquarium fish nets,and use this to detect wind direction. It'll pay dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    This---^

Decoying pigeons does demand better cammo though, in my experience.
    Birds supposedly have good eyes sight and like us and can see all colours so yes camo is going to help with birds

Although this Thread is primarily about Camo clothing, many animals, particularly deer and rabbits have a greater sense of scent and sound than sight.
    Sure, wear suitably dull/camo gear but pay more attention to being dowwind of your quarry or as close to that ideal as possible being aware of wind direction including eddies and variations in that.
    Also be as quiet as possible only moving slowly when necessary, if it comes to clothing, pay attention to any part of it that causes noise, in particular, high pitch sound such as zippers or velcro being used.
    Some types of clothing made from modern materials do produce slight "scuffing noise" when moving in them and this will be picked up by deer, rabbits and other quarry species !
    Generally, Harkila, Seeland, Deerhunter, Rivers West although expensive are excellent but good old ex army DPM is a fine cheap alternative which I still use from time to time.
    I like your answer think you got the main points here

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Yes it does, a mate has the jack pyk full leaf suit and can just lie down on a flat field and pop off rabbits. Personally I can't bring myself to wear one. I use German fleck tarn digital cammo it hard wearing and keeps the muck off your normal clothes. A dark drab countryman type coat works if you keep still.
    I had a real tree suit many many years ago and hardly wore it it only suited one style of shooting and that was leaning against a tree and I didn’t do that much dpm was my go to as could get as muddy and stand up to a beating getting dragged though mud and over barbed wire fences. But recently I’ve been wearing just normal light neutral colours and been getting rather close to deer and rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I presume he means whilst out hunting rather than dogging Rooti, in which latter case your post would indeed be helpful.
    In an attempt to be even more helpful than usual - I've found you a UK supplier of the tactical kilt you've been after: http://www.military1st.co.uk/clothing-kilts/