Thread: Daystate sportsman mk2

Daystate sportsman mk2

Hi has anyone got any idea what a daystate
    Sportsman mk2 is worth I have had mine for a while and haven't found the time to use it it doesn't hold pressure for more than a few seconds
    I believe it's the main seal leaking.
    Thanks in advance

Just thoughts ... if it has a leak you have three options: fix it yourself, not too difficult if you have parts ... you need about 6 different sizes of O ring. I can supply my notes if you wish. They include O ring sizes.
    Second option is to pay for it to be resealed... no real idea of a charge for this maybe £50?
    Third option is to sell as is with price reflecting the reseal charge / hassle. I have no real idea of a price in a leaky condition but am sure someone else will. Maybe £100? but could be wrong. A risk is, of course, that the fault will not be cured by a simple reseal.
    Sorry about this but if I do not know what a fault is caused by then I look for a lower price to cover the increased risk.
    Cheers, Phil

I'd have thought £175 ---£200 would be about right for one needing a rebuild, depending on cosmetic condition.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I'd have thought £175 ---£200 would be about right for one needing a rebuild, depending on cosmetic condition.
    l would go along with the above valuation, the top end + if in good condition. these are rare rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    l would go along with the above valuation, the top end + if in good condition. these are rare rifles.
    Thinking on this further, Micky.

I think both valuations are correct, if you were buying the gun to have a gunsmith mend it, Phil's £100 would seem fair, but If, like me you'd mend it yourself my £175 --- £200 would be OK.

The leak could be from either the pressure relief valve or the exhaust valve, the pressure relief valve can be accessed by simply removing the action from the stock --- to get to the exhaust valve you need to completely strip the whole gun out.
    Imagine Daysdate holding the exhaust valve up and then building the rest of the gun around it.

Either way my valuation is what I and probably a few others on here would be happy to pay for it and mend it ourselves.

All the best Mick

Thumbs up

Photo1
    Photo2
    Photo3

Should help with the valuation

I've always fancied one of these.

Sorry I wouldn't know about valuations, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    Photo1
    Photo2
    Photo3

Should help with the valuation
    I'm no wood expert but that looks like the Beach stocked version ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy001 View Post
    I've always fancied one of these.

Sorry I wouldn't know about valuations, good luck
    There's a definite knack to pumping them, but when you get the knack, happy days.

Strangely I still prefer my Titan Mohawks (top and middle) over my Sportsman (bottom, which I never use).

image.jpg

They are quite nice rifles but in conversation with Tony Belas a few years ago he said they stopped making them basically because they were losing money on them. So many were being returned to the factory with faults. One pump gives around 5 - 6 ft lbs while the 2 pumps will get you 10 or so but the second pump is hard going. I did an HFT course with one once ... and once was the operable word as somehow I did not want the effort again.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    There's a definite knack to pumping them, but when you get the knack, happy days.

Strangely I still prefer my Titan Mohawks (top and middle) over my Sportsman (bottom, which I never use).

image.jpg
    Your cat has good taste in air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Your cat has good taste in air rifles.
    Yes, it's as if young Tilly knows that one is my favourite Mohawk.

The pump and barrel assembly came to me via BBS member, Transporter, who found it on Facebook for £35 and consequently bought it, collected it, and delivered it to me.
    Following a wanted ad on here I managed to buy a brand new stock and trigger unit for £70 off a very nice man in Ashbourne Derbyshire.
    The neat little telescopic Mildot sight and mounts came from our very own, Rickenbacker for £20.

So my complete single stroke Mohawk rig stands me and £125.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    They are quite nice rifles but in conversation with Tony Belas a few years ago he said they stopped making them basically because they were losing money on them. So many were being returned to the factory with faults. One pump gives around 5 - 6 ft lbs while the 2 pumps will get you 10 or so but the second pump is hard going. I did an HFT course with one once ... and once was the operable word as somehow I did not want the effort again.
    Cheers, Phil
    That's not quite the story as I've read it, Phil.

John Bowkett had the pumps for the Titan Mohawk made in India, when Titan went belly up there was a batch of pumps left on a shelf in India, so Daystate bought them up and used them to build the Sportsman MK2.

I can believe this as there has been seen to be a working relationship between Mr Bowkett and Daystate in that Daystate made air cylinders for JB.

So the story could run as Tony Belas says, or it could be a combination of cost and using up all the pumps which they'd bought in from India which killed off the Sportsman ?

All the best Mick

Thanks for the extra info Mick. I was only relaying what I was told but there was clearly more to it than I thought.
    Thank you.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thanks for the extra info Mick. I was only relaying what I was told but there was clearly more to it than I thought.
    Thank you.
    Cheers, Phil
    If as I've read, the Sportsman pumps were designed and the initial order was placed by Titan then they themselves must have been looking at cost cutting on the Mohawk as the Sportsman's pump is a cheaper version of the earlier Mohawk's.

The Mohawk pump has an articulated piston head to compensate for pump tube flex and also has a brass valve body.

The Sportsman pump has a twin O ring none articulated piston head and has an aluminium valve body, my Sportsman was hard to pump with two O rings so I simply took the front one off --- much easier.

Here's the owner's manual if anyone needs one :-

http://www.daystate.com/manuals/Spor...Manual-MK2.pdf

All the best Mick