Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Standard .22 serial number ground off?!

Exclamation BSA Standard .22 serial number ground off?!

Hi all,

I recently bought, at auction, a BSA standard .22 air rifle. Nothing special about it and I already have a nice .22 standard but this one had one thing I have been looking for for a long time. A BSA no 22 rear sight (If I am correct, the 22 has the adjuster for distance and not windage, or is that the no 21? Well this one only has the distance adjuster).

I got the rifle quite cheap and from the look of the pictures the gun was in a poor state. It just arrived today and after closer inspection it is not that bad. I got some steel wool and some oil and the rust just flew off! The bluing is not that bad to be frank. My original idea was to rob the stock and sight off this and put a spare stock I have laying around on it and then sell it.

It is missing the normal rear sight (but I have parts laying around I can use).

The only thing I am worried about is that someone in the past has ground off the serial number.......I can faintly make out a 4693 and that is it.

Ill upload some images:

Sadly that most likely means it has been stolen in the past
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Hi,

Some details about the BSA No22 sight can be found here:

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_sight...ccessories.htm

Shame about the ground off Ser No, but I'm sure rifle will provide much pleasure and the sight alone is a nice thing to have.

Regards
    Brian

It is a shame about the serial number yes. But in the end I only bought it for the sight. I am still going to get it looking pretty again.

Yes it hurts the value but I did not pay much for it. Now unless the bobbys come knocking on my door I am sure ill be ok

There are numbers that are recognisable. Is it possible to take a decent hi resolution macro shot in good natural light of the serial number? S??693
    It doesn't appear that much metal needs to be removed to make it appear good again.
    If that is true, I would set the trigger block up in the lathe and take enough off to clean it up.
    Blend the stock to the trigger block and re stamp, or use the services of a good engraver.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 05-04-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    There are numbers that are recognisable. Is it possible to take a decent hi resolution macro shot in good natural light of the serial number? S??693
    It doesn't appear that much metal needs to be removed to make it appear good again.
    If that is true, I would set the trigger block up in the lathe and take enough off to clean it up.
    Blend the stock to the trigger block and re stamp, or use the services of a good engraver.
    That is a good idea. Someone did suggest to re stamp it after sorting the trigger block out. I can defiantly see a S??693. I think there might be a 4 before the 6?

I put it back together, it does shoot. Needs a new seal, a piston keeper screw(there are two screw holes on the piston. One that attaches the seal and the other I believe to be a keeper screw), cocking arm keeper screw and rear sight. I have a spare rear sight base that will fit. Just thinking whether it is worth it to fix up or leave as is....

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Sadly that most likely means it has been stolen in the past
    This 100% ^^^^ Sorry chap. The thing to do now imo, would be to take issue with the auction house, as if the listing made no mention of this, they are at fault -- and even though it would probably not interest them (as it isn't a sexy crime), mentioning to the auction house that if unresolved, you will feel the need to inform their local constabulary that they are selling firearms with serial numbers ground off, should pay significant dividends?

I would do this, as I would not rest easy knowing I had something that was once someone's pride and joy before it was stolen in my collection, regardless of how long ago this may have been, and hope when you think about it, you may feel the same way, too? After all, would you want it done to you? Hopefully the auction house will then destroy it to avoid similar upset befalling yet another innocent collector?

I know some may argue that as the theft probably happened half a century or so ago, and that as the component bits could at least be salvaged and sold, that it should maybe not be destroyed but dismantled, but I proffer that anyone profiting in anyway from a theft is vile, and the preserve of scum, so I say again, I hope the auction house will do right by you, and then dispose of said Standard accordingly? Please keep us posted. Atb: G.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 05-04-2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: clarification.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Any news / updates on this as yet? If not, can you at least name the auction house for us, please, so we know who to avoid -- or who to ask the poignant question of, if buying through them by postal bid etc? Many thanks: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Any news / updates on this as yet? If not, can you at least name the auction house for us, please, so we know who to avoid -- or who to ask the poignant question of, if buying through them by postal bid etc? Many thanks: G.
    See first line of this post:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....d-22-valuation
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Top man, cheers: one to steer clear of me thinks? Good to see you over the weekend at the bash btw, and roll-on the next one.

Atb: G.

JS fine art is in Banbury, I'd guess that Joe, the owner, has either not noticed the serial number issue (which an auctioneer should pick up on really) or, as it's almost certainly been removed a generation or two ago, they felt of no matter (it ought to have been in the sale notes though and wasn't).
    Having now removed the sight you wanted, I'd just keep it for plinking around the garden with knowing it getting knocked about wouldn't matter.
    That or sell it on as you said was you're original thought.
    Which I assume you've have decided to do as you have it listed on free ads now, and if you obtain your asking price versus the hammer price you get you sight for nothing and some change.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post

JS fine art is in Banbury, I'd guess that Joe, the owner, has either not noticed the serial number issue (which an auctioneer should pick up on really) or, as it's almost certainly been removed a generation or two ago, they felt of no matter (it ought to have been in the sale notes though and wasn't).
    Having now removed the sight you wanted, I'd just keep it for plinking around the garden with knowing it getting knocked about wouldn't matter.
    That or sell it on as you said was you're original thought.
    Which I assume you've have decided to do as you have it listed on free ads now, and if you obtain your asking price versus the hammer price you get you sight for nothing and some change.
    Yes I agree with all as you say about the auction house, except the possibility that they may have figured it was a long time ago, so ok to sell, as that would not wash with me, as a suspected stolen item is still a suspected stolen item, and if sold knowingly as such, then that brings into question the moral compass of the seller?

That said, if this is now on free ads, I am hoping the advert indicates that the serial number has been removed? This is still not something I'd do however, which brings me back to the moral compas debacle, but each to his own level of personal pride and individual standards I suppose?

I understand that some people would be against keeping a air rifle with no serial number. In the end I have put it up for sale (My asking price is a bit high yes but in all honesty, I would take a lot less). It may sell it may not. In all my ads I have listed the serial number being removed. If it does not sell I might give it to my brother in law since I already have a BSA Standard .22 (in good condition actually, it is the rifle I bought the sight of this one for). And he has shown some interest in plinking.

Now if anyone were to come to me and say it is theirs/their relatives and it was stolen years ago (With proof mind you) then I would give it back in a heart beat. I know this is very unlikely but none the less.

I feel like it would be a shame to destroy the rifle since it is actually in good condition. But each to their own.

If i knew that the rifle had the serial number removed I would not have bought it, and yes I was slightly annoyed at this.

Hi Huttles,
    as you suspect it does read 4693; the top of the "1" used by BSA slopes and doesn't project to the right ( I do work with lettering professionally!) If you can work out the age/missing first digit by the features of the rifle then it could be restamped/ engraved as suggested. It seems a bit o.t.t playing up theft and badmouthing auctioneers etc...... How many collectors have happily paid serious money for collectable items and unbeknown to them the dealer or private seller has ripped off an elderly widow or cash strapped family? That's life.
    Last edited by torrens; 09-04-2018 at 08:12 AM.

I know its a long shot but what if its not been stolen at all, could it just have been stuck in the cab of a tractor bouncing around for years in the same place wearing away the same spot where it has been rubbing up against something?