Thread: If it's rusty on the inside......

If it's rusty on the inside......

If a barrel is rusty on the inside is it knackered?
    Thanks Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Shoot some pellets through to clean it, then fire a test card and see if it's accurate
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Thanks Rhys
    All depends on how rusty it is, give us a clue ?
    Hw77+7

I guess it depends on how rusty and what you want to use the gun for.
    A very light coating could well disappear when you use it. I expect that accuracy, or should I say 'precision' could be affected a bit but I do not know by how much .. maybe enough to not use the barrel in high flight competition. Recommend trying.
    If heavily rusted, again pellets may help clean it after a few passes with cleaning brushes etc. Might result in a good plinker?
    Cheers, Phil

It just depends how deep and where the rust is. If there is irregular pitting it is definitely knackered, if there is only a very fine layer of surface rust then try a phosphor bronze brush to clean it. Only go in the direction of pellet travel and use thin oil, a few passes then swab it through with patches and have a look to see if there are any pitted areas.
    I have seen barrels quite orange with rust that have cleaned up well and shoot OK, obviously I have no idea of the performance before they were rusty. Those barrels I've seen with pitting have usually given erratic performance, maybe good for a few shots then a few fliers, then good for a few, useless for anything more than 10 or 20 yard tin can plinking!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Thanks Rhys
    If it is knackered, There is a member on here looking for an old barrel

Thanks Rhys
    Depends on the degree/presence of any pitting.

I wouldn't start with a PB brush, get some Wipeout Patch out and swab the bore then leave to soak, patch out with clean patches then repeat the process until the patches come out clean.

If it is really filthy use Butches Boreshine which effectively laps the barrel.

Once the surface crud has been removed firing a hundred pellets or so will run the barrel in again and fill in any small voids.

If rifle doesn't group after that it is probably fubar.

Yes

Thanks Rhys
    Yes mate it is gone . it will never be as good as it was . you can polish it . lap it . do what you like . RIP ??? HOLLY
    " BE YOURSELF , EVERYBODY ELSE IS TAKEN "

I'll have a look at it when I see it next.. it's a blank Walther from knibbs I believe that I bought from Jon years ago & never got round to using it I'm thinking of sending it of for the swap chop .. now I noticed a bit of rust on the inside but we will see when I get my mits back on it.
    Thanks
    All again for the input!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    If it is knackered, There is a member on here looking for an old barrel

The reason for the questions!! Lol

The reason for the questions!! Lol
    I hope you find its ok. . my nephew left a HW80k in the barn and it had rust in the barrel.I used some penetrating oil tht we used at work (Freeway https://www.amazon.co.uk/L-S-Enginee.../dp/B0051NSFPS ) and a cheap airgun cleaning kit.

It worked out ok for that barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I hope you find its ok. . my nephew left a HW80k in the barn and it had rust in the barrel.I used some penetrating oil tht we used at work (Freeway https://www.amazon.co.uk/L-S-Enginee.../dp/B0051NSFPS ) and a cheap airgun cleaning kit.

It worked out ok for that barrel.
    It's a bit of a risk to be honest because I'd have to get it grafted onto a gun just to test it so I'll probably not bother.. I'll see when I get it..

I'll have a look at it when I see it next.. it's a blank Walther from knibbs I believe that I bought from Jon years ago & never got round to using it I'm thinking of sending it of for the swap chop .. now I noticed a bit of rust on the inside but we will see when I get my mits back on it.
    Thanks
    All again for the input!!
    Quigley Hollow to John Knibbs International = 32 minutes. --- just saying like.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Quigley Hollow to John Knibbs International = 32 minutes. --- just saying like.
    Mmmmmmm..... You got all the good stuff your way haven't you!!! Thanks Mick