Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plinking Marvelous! The Crosman 600

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Irony of life, Best UTube on the 600 is by an Englishman. I’m going to a Airgun show in a couple weeks I will have to hold a 600 and see what it’s about. I just am not a fan of anything diecast?
    They feel great in the hand, but you really need to shoot one!
    Last edited by ptdunk; 26-03-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Irony of life, Best UTube on the 600 is by an Englishman. I’m going to a Airgun show in a couple weeks I will have to hold a 600 and see what it’s about. I just am not a fan of anything diecast?
    The main compression tube is steel. There's no die cast feel to it at all. Most complex trigger in airguns (there might be some crazy Euro trigger more complex but in the real world of airguns, nothing else compares.)

Back in the '80s, I was picking up 600s for less than $20 on a regular basis. Would turn around and sell them to guys at work for $100. Several got mad because they were spending too much money on Powerlets and pellets.

Note: they made left-hand grips that were made available at the Service Stations, so, they can be found. I know some guys have used the left-hand set to make the grip without the thumb rest.

I like old die-cast Zamak pistols as they look like new after 50 years. A lot of steel pistols which are not cared for rust like our old Webleys. my mate gingernut on here let me have a bulk fill cap for the 600. Pic of gingernuts plated pistol.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Only saw one example at yesterday's Kempton Park Fair and that was incomplete had a cracked grip and was not feeding properly. This pistol was on Lawrie Armatruda's table and despite the attentions of the acknowledged expert, this particular 600 refused to function reliably. So, given the wide selection and variety of pistols on offer at Kempton, it would seem 600s are becoming harder to find.

Get one when ever you get the chance would be my advice.

The Plink-O-Matic is a nice BB firing variant of this pistol which is even harder to find these days.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 26-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Probably the last pistol I would get rid of - the best fun ever.

I got some left handed grips for mine while back which is great for me. What I realised very quickly was that by using the unshaped grips from both of the handed sets you can make the pistol ambidextrous.

I did have two but sold one so I could buy a 451 - the second to last pistol I would get rid of!

I AM on the hunt for a Plink-O-Matic though - I know someone wh has one though and I am waiting in the wings!
    Last edited by PaulR; 26-03-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Only saw one example at yesterday's Kempton Park Fair and that was incomplete had a cracked grip and was not feeding properly. This pistol was on Lawrie Armatruda's table and despite the attentions of the acknowledged expert, this particular 600 refused to function reliably. So, given the wide selection and variety of pistols on offer at Kempton, it would seem 600s are becoming harder to find.

Get one when ever you get the chance would be my advice.

The Plink-O-Matic is a nice BB firing variant of this pistol which is even harder to find these days.

Brian
    Two weeks I’m going to one of our major air shows here in the US. Bet I see quite a few, will be interesting, without this post not sure I would have been looking.

Although the 677 Plink-O-Matic was made to feed bb's mine does feed pellets of the correct length. Love these American names, yesterday gingernut bought at Kempton Park a boxed Am Pell Plink- n-Whiz !

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 26-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

The Plinko was only made for a year or two and has always been very rare; maybe 20 to 1 compared to the 600.

I have no direct knowledge of why Crosman dropped the Plinko but I suspect that it has to do with a common failure mode. When one of the parts in the trigger groups starts to wear down, the Plinko goes full auto. I found this out with my first Plinko that had just arrived in the mail. Charged it up, loaded it with Crosman BBs (only!) and when I pulled the trigger the gun went full auto with something like 6-7 BB being fired and the muzzle rise was all the way up to the ceiling. That certainly caught my attention and I'm pretty sure that it would have caught the attention of Crosman, too; in particular because this is inherent to the design and little chance of being easily fixed. The 600 has the same design but when this wear induced failure occurs, the gun typically jams.

Never had that happen, but it sounds fun !

Baz

Red face Crosman 600

Picked one up 2 weeks ago after looking for ages, still got the smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by walther View Post
    Picked one up 2 weeks ago after looking for ages, still got the smile on my face
    Surprised you had to hunt, there is a guy in Wales who had 32 of these, been selling them on G/Star. Boxed one of his on there at the moment £285.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 28-03-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Got my book today, looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    The Plinko was only made for a year or two and has always been very rare; maybe 20 to 1 compared to the 600.

I have no direct knowledge of why Crosman dropped the Plinko but I suspect that it has to do with a common failure mode. When one of the parts in the trigger groups starts to wear down, the Plinko goes full auto. I found this out with my first Plinko that had just arrived in the mail. Charged it up, loaded it with Crosman BBs (only!) and when I pulled the trigger the gun went full auto with something like 6-7 BB being fired and the muzzle rise was all the way up to the ceiling. That certainly caught my attention and I'm pretty sure that it would have caught the attention of Crosman, too; in particular because this is inherent to the design and little chance of being easily fixed. The 600 has the same design but when this wear induced failure occurs, the gun typically jams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Never had that happen, but it sounds fun !

Baz
    That's not happened to mine either yet Baz, still you live in hope!