Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plinking Marvelous! The Crosman 600

Plinking Marvelous! The Crosman 600

Just had a great time shooting my 1961 Crosman 600 with the missus down the club today:

https://youtu.be/OM_2y-WSel0

What an awesome pistol, thanks to Lawrie for the service. Great fun! and pretty accurate too.

Matt.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 29-03-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    A fabulous pistol. I bought mine from Vic on here and he kindly had Lawrie service it for me first. I use it for UBC comps when appropriate as well as 'casual' plinking.

They are a true gem
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

The greatest day in my young life was when mom took me to Sears and, wonders of wonders, she took me to the guns section. Rabbits had been coming up out of the canyon and feasting on her new expensive landscaping. It was my job to kill them. First she bought me a slingshot. No score. A bow and arrow. Big time no score. So, off to Sears. This would have been circa 1965-66.

The salesman was quick to pull out the Sears version of the 600 and we left with the gun, a case of Powerlets and plenty of Crosman ammo.

Needless to say, I became the bunny slayer.

Note: the 600 is one of the most easily modified for enhanced shooting properties of any gun made. It's a relatively simple process to drop in a Walthar barrel, high performance valves are available, bulk CO2 tanks. Part of what has driven this is for the purpose of rat hunting. To the best of my knowledge, this started in Hawaii where they use highly modified very high power 600s for the job.

Historic note: some years back, Crosman engineering contacted me about the 600. They knew I had a series of factory photographs that showed some of the machinery used in producing the model 600 and wanted to know if a particular honing process was shown. I didn't unfortunately. They explained that when looking over the 600 for production they simply couldn't figure out how the cast frame was finished in original production. In other words, they have lost the manufacturing recipe for producing the model 600. Just another acknowledgement of the genius of Rudy Merz - The Wizard of Crosman.

My book on the subject. It's expensive but I made the decision to go with high quality color printing. To the best of anyone's knowledge, this book is complete. It has every piece of paper produced by Crosman regarding the model 600: every catalog, every repair manual, all military documentation, factory production pictures exclusive to this book, and, in what took considerable effort and a lot of help, every known owner's manual including the Canadian versions. The production history of the 600 is completely covered. All Crosman Repair Station service bulletins are included. It took me 30 years to put all of this together. All you have to do is buy the book and enjoy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosman-Arm...1843281&sr=1-1

Geez Dean,

twenty-nine quid is NOT expensive! I advise anyone interested in airguns,buy Dean's Crosman/Benjamin books,buy Gary Garber's Daisy encyclopedia,buy the Webley books,buy the Airgun Digests,etc.If you don't you'll be sorry! Trev

This is one of the collection you should never sell on. Everybody needs one. I have picked out a nice barrel from my bits to make my 677 into a carbine.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Brilliant guns.

I just machined down a spare 1322 barrel to give an extra 3" of length and bring the power up to around 5FP.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I bought Deans book 18 months ago.
    Still haven’t finished it!

Definitive.

I would fully endorse the 600 and Dean's book on the subject, which is well worth the cover price.

I've managed to trace original copies of the contemporary reviews included in the book as my eyesight is not good enough to read the reproduced copies, as well as some others from The American Rifleman and Gun Digest from the 1960s. I also have a manual with one of my pistols that is a cross between Dean's variant 12 and 13, so maybe it's the 12a or 12.5

I'm handing my Sears marked 600 to Lawrie at Kempton tomorrow for a service and am already looking forward to getting her back for a range session.

John

Just wondering what pellets you chaps have found to be reliable in your 600's ?

I'm using Crosman Match, and have found them to cycle the action best of all the wadcutters I've tried.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

I've got a Sears 600 and a 677 they are great pistols and I should use them more, they like being used!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Just wondering what pellets you chaps have found to be reliable in your 600's ?

I'm using Crosman Match, and have found them to cycle the action best of all the wadcutters I've tried.
    When I got mine, the previous owner advised Accupel, so I haven't used anything different. They feed perfectly and mine will actually take 11 pellets in the mag quite happily

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Bisley Practice seem to work very well through mine.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post

My book on the subject. It's expensive but I made the decision to go with high quality color printing. To the best of anyone's knowledge, this book is complete. It has every piece of paper produced by Crosman regarding the model 600: every catalog, every repair manual, all military documentation, factory production pictures exclusive to this book, and, in what took considerable effort and a lot of help, every known owner's manual including the Canadian versions. The production history of the 600 is completely covered. All Crosman Repair Station service bulletins are included. It took me 30 years to put all of this together. All you have to do is buy the book and enjoy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosman-Arm...1843281&sr=1-1
    I see the Kindle edition is still on sale Dean - have the page display issues been fixed yet?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    accupell and H&N FTT work well...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    accupell and H&N FTT work well...
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Bisley Practice seem to work very well through mine.
    Ah, interesting, Bisley Practice didn't work too well in mine

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    When I got mine, the previous owner advised Accupel, so I haven't used anything different. They feed perfectly and mine will actually take 11 pellets in the mag quite happily
    I shall give H&N FTT's a go though, and buy some Accupells to try as well.

Thanks for the replies gents
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/