Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First tune

My First tune

I have a HW 97kt in 17 caliber I recently purchased from Krale I live in the US so I don’t have any restrictions to worry about.with it I also got the Tinbum Pro kit. I was in touch with Nick at Tinbum and he said I should just install the kit using the stock spring and seal and suggested that I also polish the piston and sleeve. I did get from Vortek a replacement spring and seal just in case for future repair.
    I also got Krytox grease that was recommended by someone. I was just wondering if there are anything I should not do while I’m doing the job or things that I should take care of that I haven’t mentioned.
    If there are posts out there that explain the proper way of doing this simple tune a like is appreciated, I found the YouTube videos to be contradictory as some said to do things that didn’t make sense

The rifle I’d shooting well at 20 yards all pellets go in 1/4” holethe speed of the pellets vary between 902fps and 918 FPS with a Gamo pellet 8 grain. This is my first springer but I’m well versed in weapon repair as I have 6pcp Air Rifles and many cartridge rifles, pistols and revolvers. I also have had military weapons training in the past.

Have a read of the post titled "spit and polish". All the same things have just been discussed
    B.A.S.C. member

Brian,

Well done on your 1st tune

If you have a Facebook account, the Group 'Lost Volume' will tell you everything you ever need to know about 'springer' tuning

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Also check out the thread "Spring airgun tuning" in the Useful Tips section on here.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Basic Tune ....

Erroneously described as a 'spit and polish tune' by Dave Hall, the basic springer tune is about optimising the springer as it is without any mechanical modification. The idea is to bring it to its most efficient while remaining as the designers at the factory intended it to be. It will remedy most of the poor finishing that sometimes is observed in both cheap and some of the more expensive brands and will deal with the issue of lubrication which is almost always too much or too little 'out of the box'.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ing-Gun-Tuning

There is no such thing as a 'spit and polish tune'. 'Spit and polish' - the use of saliva and a soft cloth for buffing to give a high lustre on leather - is the last step in polishing one's shoes or boots, and comes after cleaning, treating, waxing and brushing. It is a false analogy to use it as shorthand for the careful cleaning and finishing of moving parts and their correct lubrication in a spring rifle. A basic tune is much more like what a good mechanic will do when servicing a car, making sure everything is working efficiently.

The type of tune is really a 'basic tune' defined as such as not requiring any special parts or non-factory components, just finishing work and relubrication.

How was buying from Krailsports? Was it packed pretty well? I also live in USA and have been debating ordering a hw98 from them, prices are fantastic for the German guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Erroneously described as a 'spit and polish tune' by Dave Hall, the basic springer tune is about optimising the springer as it is without any mechanical modification. The idea is to bring it to its most efficient while remaining as the designers at the factory intended it to be. It will remedy most of the poor finishing that sometimes is observed in both cheap and some of the more expensive brands and will deal with the issue of lubrication which is almost always too much or too little 'out of the box'.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ing-Gun-Tuning

There is no such thing as a 'spit and polish tune'. 'Spit and polish' - the use of saliva and a soft cloth for buffing to give a high lustre on leather - is the last step in polishing one's shoes or boots, and comes after cleaning, treating, waxing and brushing. It is a false analogy to use it as shorthand for the careful cleaning and finishing of moving parts and their correct lubrication in a spring rifle. A basic tune is much more like what a good mechanic will do when servicing a car, making sure everything is working efficiently.

The type of tune is really a 'basic tune' defined as such as not requiring any special parts or non-factory components, just finishing work and relubrication.
    It's just an analogy mate don't wet the bed over it
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    It's just an analogy mate don't wet the bed over it
    Your analogy is also poor. As I was conscious while I wrote the post, it would not in any way be analogous to bed-wetting, which is generally contingent on deep sleep or intoxication.

You may choose to say 'no need to throw your toys out of your pram', or if you prefer the trans-Atlantic mode of expression which is regrettably so common in these islands, 'don't get your panties in a bunch'. Or perhaps turn a new phrase of your own invention.

In the old days what is called a 'spit and polish' tune or a 'basic tune' was just a 'tune'. This was before re-engineering became 'a thing'.

Your analogy is also poor. As I was conscious while I wrote the post, it would not in any way be analogous to bed-wetting, which is generally contingent on deep sleep or intoxication.

You may choose to say 'no need to throw your toys out of your pram', or if you prefer the trans-Atlantic mode of expression which is regrettably so common in these islands, 'don't get your panties in a bunch'. Or perhaps turn a new phrase of your own invention.

In the old days what is called a 'spit and polish' tune or a 'basic tune' was just a 'tune'. This was before re-engineering became 'a thing'.
    Well.. not so true as I was referring to when you go to bed tonight the pain derived from me using the analogy would give you nightmares and make you wet the bed..... I think my analogy stands it just doesn't refer to the present moment
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

A very warm welcome to the BBS, Brian.

Lovely, friendly people sharing their vast knowledge coupled with nice, friendly dollops of humour!

Enjoy your first Boinger tune!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Well.. not so true as I was referring to when you go to bed tonight the pain derived from me using the analogy would give you nightmares and make you wet the bed..... I think my analogy stands it just doesn't refer to the present moment
    Ah, yes, touché! I am enjoying the richness even now. Anticipation is the best pleasure, and the fiercest punishment.

Hello and welcome.

Your rifle is a fine piece of kit and deserves better pellets than Gamo which are pretty dire in my experience. Get it some JSB, H&N or Air Arms pellets and it will reward your attention.

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Ah, yes, touché! I am enjoying the richness even now. Anticipation is the best pleasure, and the fiercest punishment.
    Ah but you shall have the last laugh as I sit here and PMSL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Hello and welcome.

Your rifle is a fine piece of kit and deserves better pellets than Gamo which are pretty dire in my experience. Get it some JSB, H&N or Air Arms pellets and it will reward your attention.

Rich.
    Agreed.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Brian, I know you bought the gun and parts from Krale, but feel free to ring me on the freephone number on the box if you have any questions during fitting.
    God rest ye jelly mental men