Thread: BSA or not BSA

Question BSA or not BSA

Hi all,

Been a few years since I owned an air rifle, the last one was a BSA Lightning .22 great lightweight gun.

Now with so many new brands or at least new to me on the market, what your opinion on the best lightweight, quite, springer.

Please not the very expensive ones I am consider new but would readily buy used.

Cheers folks.

Welcome aboard Crocket

They don't seem to be very popular but, I like BSA Lightnings.

A more popular choice at the moment for a lightweight springer at a good price is the HW99 but, a lot of them seem to have issues.

Personally, I'd go for an older BSA Meteor or Mercury.

Atb

All of the above.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    So, a mid price range, mid to light weight, and a tried and tested design? New, it has to be the HW95K imo. Second hand? Then still consider an HW95K, and also consider a Webley Vulcan, Webley Stingray/Exocet, Webley Omega, or Webley Longbow (if the latter, ensure it is a proper pre 2006 Brum-built Longbow, and not one of the later, less cred Turkish examples ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Take a look at the HW99s...

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    As the Guys above have said, some great spring guns there !

Firstly, from a personal veiwpoint, I'd be looking at an HW 95k or the cheaper HW 99S. Both are superb fairly lightweight top quality spring guns which can be (if you like) tuned and upgraded to a high level of performance. Add to that the addition (swapping) of a Customstock and you've got a magnificent air rifle which will please you for many years to come !
    You don't mention a scope but for a start, stick to the standard 3-9x40 format which will get you started and maybe in the near future, you will move on to other specs depending on what mode of airgunning you eventually decide on !

Secondly, a very warm welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy it and find it very informative !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    As the Guys above have said, some great spring guns there !

Firstly, from a personal veiwpoint, I'd be looking at an HW 95k or the cheaper HW 99S. Both are superb fairly lightweight top quality spring guns which can be (if you like) tuned and upgraded to a high level of performance. Add to that the addition (swapping) of a Customstock and you've got a magnificent air rifle which will please you for many years to come !
    You don't mention a scope but for a start, stick to the standard 3-9x40 format which will get you started and maybe in the near future, you will move on to other specs depending on what mode of airgunning you eventually decide on !

Secondly, a very warm welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy it and find it very informative !
    What he said Be careful though this can be addictive!

Hi Crocket and a very warm welcome to the forum.

As mentioned above, I'd be recommending the Weihrauch HW95 and 99.

Try to give them both a try to see which one suits you best.

I see that you're in Derby. If you can, try and get along to the Boinger Bash. Just down the road from you; near Fenny Drayton along the A444.

If you haven't acquired a rifle by then (mid June, but I'll wager you will have got fixed up before then) you'll be able to sample multiples of them there.

And even if you have got fixed up, it's a great day / weekend. Meet some of the friendly, helpful and knowledgeable characters from the BBS. It's a very laid back, informal gathering and not competitive in any way.

I guarantee you'll love it.

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

This is only my opinion but the old lighting was a fantastic reliable bit of kit and owned one, the feel of my old Spitfire reminds me of my Lighting. The new BSA springer stuff I just don't rate at all but to be fair most new stuff and top brands has suffered and dipped on the quality front (way of the modern world) i would buy a second hand older Springer and there many great light weights, I have a 1990 HW85, no silencer but it's a great all rounder and light to carry
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

I'd say for a starter cheap but nice.... Walther terrus all the way.. been mega impressed with all the ones I've shot and I think they are a spit over £200 new.. I've seen mint ones on here regularly for £150 which is an absolute steal!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Great response

Wow great response, going to have a look at an old lightning today, if that falls thro is sounds like it's going to be a HW of some sort.

Thanks once again.

CannonFodder is online now Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocketuk View Post
    Wow great response, going to have a look at an old lightning today, if that falls thro is sounds like it's going to be a HW of some sort.

Thanks once again.
    I would go for an HW95 without a shadow of doubt.