Thread: Diana 34s or SM ??

Diana 34s or SM ??

Picked a Diana 34 up locally today. Its a 34 and on the cylinder it has "Diana Model 34, T05, S.

It has a long forend that covers the breech, checkering on the pistol grip, raised comb and cheek piece.
    Brown butt pad with a white spacer, and black spacer.

Serial number 01276892.

The rifle is fitted with quite a big bulbous silencer that is held to the barrel with 2 grub screws underneath.

Silencer dimensions approx 175mm x 30mm dia.

I've started to strip the rifle to service and thought I'd remove the silencer. Came of very easily revealing a 245mm long barrel YES 245mm.
    Factory blued crown is untouched and good so genuine length I think.

Is this a 34 S or a 34 SM and why ??

The rifle has been sat unused for at least 10 years. Bluing is good and so is the woodwork.
    Ran it over the skan and still doing 11.2 with FTT

Thanks
    B.A.S.C. member

34sm

The gun you have is a 34sm. I'm not 100% sure of the introduction year but there are previous threads on.here related to them. I picked one up myself before last xmas. They are really good handling guns, and came complete with the scope you have with the gun. I have to say that the moderator is reasonably effective and I look forward to the day I can get around to a strip down and overhaul of mine. I suspect it will become quieter still and be an accomplished hunting weapon.
    The 34s is a gun.I.also own.and is earlier again than the 34sm. This has a 15 inch barrel.
    I think the sm only came in .22.

You will find a date stamp towards the rear of the cylinder above the trigger near the plastic end cap (month/year).
    Glad for your fortunate acquisition.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    The gun you have is a 34sm. I'm not 100% sure of the introduction year but there are previous threads on.here related to them. I picked one up myself before last xmas. They are really good handling guns, and came complete with the scope you have with the gun. I have to say that the moderator is reasonably effective and I look forward to the day I can get around to a strip down and overhaul of mine. I suspect it will become quieter still and be an accomplished hunting weapon.
    The 34s is a gun.I.also own.and is earlier again than the 34sm. This has a 15 inch barrel.
    I think the sm only came in .22.

You will find a date stamp towards the rear of the cylinder above the trigger near the plastic end cap (month/year).
    Glad for your fortunate acquisition.
    Dave
    Cheers Dave
    Looks like 06 or 08 03

Its in remarkably good nick. Metalwork very good with a few rub marks on the end of the silencer. Some marks to one side of the forend of the stock but these will disappear with some wax. Internals are standard and bone dry.
    I have a used tbt kit her for a 34 but I may order a new one with anew spring. The spring in it isnt finished very well. I'd say this has seen little use and the marks are from the 10 years of storage.
    The stock looked very dull but a wipe over with ballistol produced a filthy black rag and a shiny lovely stock.
    Chronoed at 11.2 on the skan as soon as I got it back.
    I'm considering taking the silencer off as I have a shorter slimmer one here. I'll get it sorted and try it on the range. Very consistent with FTT
    B.A.S.C. member

Very good find. I remember these from around 2002/03 ish. Not sure how long they ran for. Looks very like the model 38 of the time, (barrel and moderator aside). A really purposeful looking gun. Came in a hard case and with an RWS branded scope. 4-12×40 PA ?
    I hope you enjoy the 34SM.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I'd say you've got yourself a SM there, like said above the S had a longer barrel, of course we're going to have to see some photo's

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I'd say you've got yourself a SM there, like said above the S had a longer barrel, of course we're going to have to see some photo's

Pete
    I dont have photobucket any more and cant upload images direct on here.
    I look for another hosting site tomorrow and get some up.

Very tempted to remove the can as I have a smaller slimmer one here.
    Piston is mint and the rod firmly fixed. No bulges
    B.A.S.C. member

I will try today to sort an image hosting site, but for those who do use the "other forum" I've just added a write up and some pics in the gun gallery section.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Very good find. I remember these from around 2002/03 ish. Not sure how long they ran for. Looks very like the model 38 of the time, (barrel and moderator aside). A really purposeful looking gun. Came in a hard case and with an RWS branded scope. 4-12×40 PA ?
    I hope you enjoy the 34SM.
    Cheers Drew.
    The scope on this is a RWS 3-9X40 WA/PA and mounted in what looks like a medium height sportsmatch mount.
    I won't use the scope or the mount. I don't get on with PA scopes and I tend to use high mounts.
    Unfortunately no case.
    B.A.S.C. member

Rob if you're interested I still have a welsh willy tuning kit here out of my one that you can have for a good price, let me know if it's any use to you.

I also need to get a photo hosting site sorted as I'm going to put my 34 up for sale.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Nice write up and pics over there. I'm not a member but can access your review. The 34 of this era does look like a meaty HW80 rival but earlier and later versions are slimmer and lighter. More manageable than an HW95 in my view.
    If the 34SM balances well with the moderator then a smaller, slimmer replacement will have to be heavier than it looks.
    I have seen 34 pistons, drilled as you describe but not on recent versions. Older would seem to be better as far as these go.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Nice write up and pics over there. I'm not a member but can access your review. The 34 of this era does look like a meaty HW80 rival but earlier and later versions are slimmer and lighter. More manageable than an HW95 in my view.
    If the 34SM balances well with the moderator then a smaller, slimmer replacement will have to be heavier than it looks.
    I have seen 34 pistons, drilled as you describe but not on recent versions. Older would seem to be better as far as these go.
    The supplied mod just looks horrid and makes the rifle over long considering the tiny barrel. I like shortys hence the choice of a smaller slimmer mod for me.
    If you can access it, maybe others here can too. Tried to put a link on but can't
    B.A.S.C. member

Rob if you're interested I still have a welsh willy tuning kit here out of my one that you can have for a good price, let me know if it's any use to you.

I also need to get a photo hosting site sorted as I'm going to put my 34 up for sale.

Pete
    Pete you dont need a hosting site to add pics if you're putting something up in sales section on here (or freeads come to that).
    On here when you start a new sales post just scroll down and go to manage attachments. It allows you to add pics direct from your pc to a sales post.
    We just cant add pics this way to other areas of the forum.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Pete you dont need a hosting site to add pics if you're putting something up in sales section on here (or freeads come to that).
    On here when you start a new sales post just scroll down and go to manage attachments. It allows you to add pics direct from your pc to a sales post.
    We just cant add pics this way to other areas of the forum.
    Nope can't get that to work, keeps coming up with an error message when I try to download the photo's.

Pete

Nope can't get that to work, keeps coming up with an error message when I try to download the photo's.

Pete
    It may be the image size / quality. You may need to alter the settings on your camera
    B.A.S.C. member

Diana

It's an 34 sm. Had one in 2003 when Ramsbottom's were selling them off. Also came with a RWS plastic gun case and all for £220 back then. Mack 1.5