Thread: J Forrest Percussion shotgun

J Forrest Percussion shotgun

My Grandfather has this old Percussion shotgun on his stairway wall. Its been there for as long as I can remember (Together with another shotgun and a 1856 tower rifle).

I can see that it is signed J Forrest on the side (The engravings are very faded). I know there was a J Forrest in Oxford and also a Forrest family of gunsmiths in Kelso Scotland (But from what I have seen, most of their guns have "& sons" engraved on them, which makes me inclined to believe that this gun is from the oxford maker)

Apart from that I know nothing about it, neither does my Grandfather! I dont even know what caliber/bore it is....

Anyone have an knowledge on old 1800s(?) English shotguns? Would appreciate any input. Here is a link to some images on Imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/7Rvrm

Thank you

Jake

You are showing us everything except what we need to see - namely, the underneath of the barrels, where ALL the proof marks will be stamped.

Do that and we can help - without seeing them, it's a mid-19thC percussion shotgun of unknown provenance, origin and calibre, although it is more than likely 12g.

tac

Hi. Jake
    John Forrest, Senior, gunmaker, Holywell (Flintshire.)
    John Forrest 1797 - 1869 was born in Jedburgh, the youngest of three sons of blacksmith William Forrest and Ann Wood. In 1809, John’s eldest brother, George, helped their father to set up a gunsmith’s business in Jedburgh and George’s sons became gunsmiths in their turn.
    John Forrest & sons after 1837.
    John & James Forrest
    • James Forrest is listed in the High Street, 1804 - 16, Magpie Lane 1823 (Pigot) and Oriel Lane in
    1829 – 30 (Pigot)
    • James Forrest, gunsmith, St Peter-le-Bailey (1802 Freemans Poll)
    • John Forrest, Senior, gunmaker, Holywell (1802 Freemans Poll and 1834)
    • John Forrest was involved in a trial in 1803 (said to be living at the same address as John Collis
    Junior and William Dupe).
    • John Forrest had three sons made free in 1818, 1820 and 1841. All were identified as “son of
    John Forrest, gunsmith”.
    • James Forrest had four sons made free, one in 1830 and three in 1850. All were identified as
    “son of James Forrest, gunsmith”.
    • James Charles Forrest, gunmaker, Oriel Lane (Vincent’s Oxford Directory 1835) and Magpie
    Lane (1834 HCO)

Useful stuff for the records - thank you, Sir.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    You are showing us everything except what we need to see - namely, the underneath of the barrels, where ALL the proof marks will be stamped.

Do that and we can help - without seeing them, it's a mid-19thC percussion shotgun of unknown provenance, origin and calibre, although it is more than likely 12g.

tac
    Right, Ill try and see the next time I am at my grandfathers that I can take it down and remove the barrels to get a look. Might take some time but ill reply when I have the pictures.

Thanks

Jake