Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Modification Best Rifle or Pistol

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Worst Modification Best Rifle or Pistol

What is the example of malevolent bodgery that sticks in your mind most? Seen any Mk 1 Airsporters with a barrel hack-sawed down to 6" and skeletonised stock done with a hot poker and a pen-knife? Webley Service with a camo dip and a welded-on GPMG carry handle?

Ruining a cheapie like a BSA Meteor or a SMK B2 is one thing, ruining a lovely older 'Collector's Favorite' is another.

Whatcha got?

Few days ago, a Diana 70 (I believe, Diana LP5 action) with the stock sawn off at the pistolgrip
    ATB,
    yana

As stated on here recently, a decent 1907 BSA underlever with the barrel cut down ( badly ) to 12.5";

........so anyone got a spare length of .177 barrel I can modify to fit?

A 1919 BSA standard air rifle, drilled and fitted with a scope rail, with self tapping screws pertruding into the air chamber jamming the piston.

For $NZ90 I got

a Mk II 'Service' rifle with just a handful of barrel to hang onto!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    What is the example of malevolent bodgery that sticks in your mind most? Seen any Mk 1 Airsporters with a barrel hack-sawed down to 6" and skeletonised stock done with a hot poker and a pen-knife? Webley Service with a camo dip and a welded-on GPMG carry handle?

Ruining a cheapie like a BSA Meteor or a SMK B2 is one thing, ruining a lovely older 'Collector's Favorite' is another.

Whatcha got?
    Surely they are not real bodges. Jenny

I once examined a MK1 Airsporter at a car boot sale in Hayle. It looked like it had been modified by a deranged survivalist that lived in a swamp, or Fungus The Bogeyman. The whole rifle had been built up with layers of fiberglass and painted in green camo. It looked like a root off a tree. The crowning glory was a tactical buttplate, made from the sole of a yellow work boot......
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Any target rifle. Mounted on half a scaffold plank and a feather hanging off the end finished off with the Hubble telescope 🤪
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Whatcha got?
    Close.

An Airsporter with the barrel sawn off to the absolute minimum, action spraypainted black, and stock sawn off at the grip.

It was a crime against all that is pure and sweet in the world.
    Good deals with these members

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Surely they are not real bodges. Jenny
    No they are not real bodges but as you can read, people do things that are just as bad....

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    An Original 50e that some bright spark had decided to carve scope rails in with a cold chisel, (badly) It was hideous. Despite the damage it still shot ok. I have a Bsa standard that has also been treated similarly, nothing a tig welder cant fix!

When I was about 16 I cut down the barrel of my beloved Crosman 766 (which of course left the barrel loose in the shroud, so I had to 'bung' it with a rubber tap washer ) and cut down the stock to just behind the pistol grip. This pretty much ruined the rifle.

I think I'd just seen The Sweeney 2, where bank robbers cut down the barrels on a gold-plated Purdey 12 bore. So I was just copying their sacrilege, I suppose. I was young and foolish....
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    When I was about 16 I cut down the barrel of my beloved Crosman 766 ... This pretty much ruined the rifle.

I think I'd just seen The Sweeney 2, where bank robbers cut down the barrels on a gold-plated Purdey 12 bore. So I was just copying their sacrilege, I suppose. I was young and foolish....
    To be fair to your younger self, I am sure that it was pretty cool!

The 766 always found an early grave. Back in the day it was the aspirational gun of teenagers who wanted a Remington Nylon 66 like their American counterparts, but could not have one. A couple of AGW's more fantastical writers sold it as a recoil-less miracle, capable of stunning accuracy and power. One of them shot ducks with it (DUCKS, FFS!). Others, like 'Harvey' (I think that was his name) and Mr Cardew were less enthusiastic, knowing it was not at all an improvement on the scacely more expensive BSA Mercury, or the unpatriotic HW35.

What you actually got was a plastic and monkey-metal pumper that was less powerful and accurate than a standard BSA Meteor and which required a massive amount of clack-clack-clacking to get it up to steam, and then you had the fiddly loading and the oh so heavy and creepy trigger pull to deal with ... the power generally dropped off fairly quickly as the valves got scorched from over-pumping and then the accuracy went to pot when the tiny grub-screw which held the straw barrel in place got loose. It was never designed to last more than a few thousand shots and is one of the few rifles which has a far stronger and durable stock than the barrel and action.

If you chopped it fore and aft, then I am not surprised, the thing bloody well deserved it. I'm sure it looked like a Remington pump-action shotgun like villains down the Mile End Road would love to get their 'germans' on. Leave it aaaaaaaaaht!

The Remington Nylon 66 ... get one and enjoy the real thing!

https://imgur.com/gallery/u8z0B
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 26-03-2018 at 11:00 PM.

To be fair to your younger self, I am sure that it was pretty cool!
    Wow, Alistair, I had no idea the Crosman was such a close copy of the Remington! If I'd known back then I might not have cut it down.

Your description of the 766 is so right, although I didn't know the details then, just noticed the effects of all that furious pumping. Probably did me no end of good, the exercise, and 'clack' is just the right word to describe the sound.

Despite the awful trigger, I did find it quite accurate with a crappy x20 scope on it.

Out of nostalgia I bought a 766 from Phil Russell's daughter here some years ago. It was disappointingly flimsy, with a painted barrel shroud (my old one was thinly blued) and the plastic front bracket holding the barrel to cylinder was terminally loose.

You're spot on that the Crosman 766 was basically a 'disposable' air rifle. No wonder I fell head over heels with a Feinwerkbau Sport 127 a couple of years later (I still have it - Phil Bulmer resealed it for AGW in 2007).

But I also had a Crosman 1300 pistol and it most certainly wasn't disposable. I still have that too, expertly resealed by Lawrie.
    Last edited by Garvin; 27-03-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

i turn a mk 2 airsporter in to lamp when i was a kid drilled the barrel out to put the wires down through the tap and stock and in to a base and put a glass globe to it and it look good to