Thread: Standard foresight conundrum

Standard foresight conundrum

A’noon all, little Q for the vintage officionados on here. I’ve recently got myself a 1930-36 club standard ( Many thanks Neil )that came in need of a new foresight. Went onto Knibbs and ordered said item, went into bat cave to fit and found the dovetail on the barrel too big.

My question therefore is are there different options and did I somehow order the wrong part or is it more likely that at some point over the last 90ish years it’s been altered by a previous owner?

I’m not overly worried as I know I’ll be able to fix it in place one way or another but if it turns out I have bought the wrong option I’ll get the correct one and do a proper job.

TIA
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Hi,

The Knibbs parts usually require fitting and do not just fit in place. Protek Supplies of Bognor Regis can also supply sights for these old air rifles that require a little less fitting.

Best of luck - you have a nice rifle there.

John

I have found that parts for the old BSA under levers (Which I have 5 of, one of them being a club standard CS33089) from Knibbs are a hit and a miss. I too have bought a front sight (Also for my club standard) and found to be the same as yours. In the past I have bought a rear sight blade, sight spring and the adjuster screw thingy.... they fit ok and I am very happy with it. The front sight was a waste, I also bought two complete piston seal kits from Knibbs. Neither fit right and needed some work. Though I bought a seal kit from chambers and it fit like a glove!

Also I have found after owning many different variants of the old BSA's is that they did in fact have many variants on front sight bases. The strangest one I have found is on my double seared Standard, is that the front sight base is cut away at the bottom!

Not helpful that Knibbs just lists one type of front sight for all.

The common problem with the front sights is that the bead breaks off, once trick you can do, if you don't want to buy a new sight, is to weld a tiny blob of metal onto the top of the sight and then with a small dremel, shape the weld. but this can be tricky.

in the end I managed to get a nice Parker Hale FS22A and FS22B front sight, which I have put onto two of my nice old BSA's.

Jake